Torn on what to do - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-27-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD4 is a wonderful baby, but since I have returned to work she's much more demanding. Before returning to work nursing was a breeze, peaceful, nurturing. In short, it was everything it should be. She was even sleeping for long stretches and just happy in general. Now that I'm back at the office she's an absolute terror when it comes to nursing. She screams and has a poor latch suddenly. The poor latch isn't a constant variable, but it seems to be getting more often. With three other small children at home and with both of us having demanding jobs I'm not sure what to do.

I'm pumping constantly and producing around 30 ounces of milk per day. Plus if I'm at home and can't pump quickly enough I nurse her. She is also supplemented with a sensitive formula. She's overeating, but I feel more comfortable letting her determine when she gets fed versus implementing a feeding schedule. (She has been greedy with her milk from the beginning, so this issue is no surprise.) I'm tempted to begin solely formula feeding just so she's satisfied because she does alot better on the bottle now and seems to prefer the formula.

I've been pregnant and/or nursing for the past two and a half years now. I'm exhausted and need a break. I need to be me again and be able to cater to my other children as well. The pediatrician has given me an abundance of guilt trips regarding this matter. I'm really torn on what to do. I can barely function at work and I'm in a position where I must work so that we can buy a home and pay down our debts as well as provide for our children on our own. DH is exhausted as well and can barely function. But I don't want to do something I will feel guilty about later.

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

#2 of 10 Old 07-29-2011, 08:18 AM

My guess is that she just needs a little more time to adjust to the new schedule and new feeding style.  I would keep trying to nurse her and pump.  I think sometimes introducing the bottle can confuse latching so it might take a bit of retraining.  But I'm not an expert and not even an experienced nurser.  Do what feels right to you.  Good luck!

#3 of 10 Old 07-29-2011, 11:05 PM

I have always wondered how moms in the US deal with pumping, working, taking care of kids and getting no sleep. I am a long term nurser and have never supplemented but I would totally understand if you couldn't deal with the feeding issues anymore. Maybe for the sake of immunity you could continue nursing/pumping for a little while longer even if it just a few oz., or just nurse when you are at home. Good luck and I really wish all of us could have the Austrian deal (80% of your salary for 12 months).

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#4 of 10 Old 07-30-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gismobabe View Post

I have always wondered how moms in the US deal with pumping, working, taking care of kids and getting no sleep. I am a long term nurser and have never supplemented but I would totally understand if you couldn't deal with the feeding issues anymore. Maybe for the sake of immunity you could continue nursing/pumping for a little while longer even if it just a few oz., or just nurse when you are at home. Good luck and I really wish all of us could have the Austrian deal (80% of your salary for 12 months).

WOW! 80% for 12 months! That's pretty incredible. I get 8 weeks paid maternity leave, but could take 12 weeks with the four additional being unpaid. 

#5 of 10 Old 07-31-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoEngland View Post

WOW! 80% for 12 months! That's pretty incredible. I get 8 weeks paid maternity leave, but could take 12 weeks with the four additional being unpaid. 

And what are you going to do after the 8/12 weeks? Do women really have to either go back full time or quit completely?

I have the right (everyone who has worked for a company for 3 years and the company has more than 20 employees) to work part time until Teo is seven years old. 

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#6 of 10 Old 07-31-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gismobabe View Post

And what are you going to do after the 8/12 weeks? Do women really have to either go back full time or quit completely?

I have the right (everyone who has worked for a company for 3 years and the company has more than 20 employees) to work part time until Teo is seven years old. 

I have a pretty flexible employer, and I plan to have a flex schedule of being in the office Monday through Wednesday and then working from home on Thursday and Friday. Since my job description is management/full time salary, I have to go back and put in at least 40 hours a week. I've only worked for this company for a year and a half, not that it makes any difference.

#7 of 10 Old 08-01-2011, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still pumping, supplementing and nursing at home. When I'm at home she takes absolutely no formula. She's only taking one bottle of formula a day while I'm at work, but I'm to the point of exhaustion. The immunity factor is what keeps me going on nursing her. She's getting better, though. So I'm glad I've stuck it out. I would love to nurse her until she's 1, but I'm not sure we can make it that far.

I say Austrian moms have it made! I only got off four weeks after birth. Luckily my short term disability came through. If it hadn't been for that I would've really been up the creek.

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

#8 of 10 Old 08-02-2011, 02:44 PM

I am so sorry you are stressed greensad.gif. I was in a situation with my middle child where I had to supplement with one bottle of formula a day. I found myself a single mom and had to return to work when she was 8 weeks old. I could not pump enough for her and had not built up enough of a milk stash before returning to work. I think BF is best but one bottle of formula does not mean you have to give up BF entirely. If you can keep it up and give her as much as you can it will get better. Once DD was on solids I didn't have to pump as much or use formula. Maybe give yourself a 6 month mark and then see if you can make it a year.

One thing that helped me with DD was to pump on one side while I was nursing her on the other. that way she didn't have to wait to be fed. (((hugs))) 

#9 of 10 Old 08-04-2011, 08:12 AM

DDCC

What if you don't say "until a year" right now. Just take it one month at a time. Say "until 3 months" and then "until 4 months" etc. It does sound like she has nipple confusion. I'm so impressed that you are pumping so much milk and working at the same time! bow2.gif No matter what you decide, you've done amazingly so far! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#10 of 10 Old 08-04-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindermama View Post

DDCC

What if you don't say "until a year" right now. Just take it one month at a time. Say "until 3 months" and then "until 4 months" etc. It does sound like she has nipple confusion. I'm so impressed that you are pumping so much milk and working at the same time! bow2.gif No matter what you decide, you've done amazingly so far! 

yeahthat.gif Perfect advice. No need to stress long-term, just make it in whatever increment you can at this point. I would absolutely try to get as much lactation help as you can, even WIC sometimes will help or know of help in your area--even if you don't qualify.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page