Mothering Forum banner

Anyone else ready to strangle their toddler??

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  azzeps 
#1 ·
*sigh, it's not that bad I guess.

My newborn son is 4 days old,, and is a breeze. But, my 2 1/2 year old dd is being CRAZY! Although every day is getting better, she still is throwing gnarly fits when the baby is nursing...wanting me to nurse her instead, Being crazy loud when he is trying to sleep (I know this one is somewhat normal....but jeeez!), just acting out in general. I can't go into it all. But since I can't do much right now but take it easy, it's really driving me mad.

Does anyone have any advice? What are the rest of you with this age group doing to help transition?

We just brought our tv in from the shed to watch some movies with her to help, but I'm so out of the loop with movies and tv....What are some good movies to get her that are age appropriate?

I really need some good ideas or advice, I was not anticipating this, she's usually such a laid back mellow kid, I hardly ever have any issues with her.

THANKS mamas:) these after pains are the pits!

#2 ·
We were in the same boat, DD2 is a few weeks old and DD1 (age 3) almost drove me insane at first with exactly the type of stuff you're describing. I just focused on trying to make special time for DD1 and I together. It was the last thing I wanted to do but I did it. One day she sat in the car and screamed for 30 minutes because she didn't want her seatbelt buckled--and we were on our way to do a special outing just the two of us, which are not easy because I have to pump milk for the baby first. She had all kinds of acting out and I summoned all my energy to be patient and not scream but just to state things calmly. E.g. one day she grabbed a lollipop in the store and put it in her mouth even though I had told her she could not have it. I told her how disappointed I was in her behavior but I paid for the lollipop and did not say anything else. She got really quiet and on the way home apologized. Later that evening I heard her tell my mom what she had done with remorse in her voice.

We started a sticker chart for good listening and for doing her chores (which include brushing her teeth and getting dressed, I'm such a task master ;) and once she fills up the chart she earns a special prize. She likes getting the stickers and is proud of her accomplishement when she earns her prize.

To make a long story short, my persistence paid off and my DD1 finally started to respond to the extra love and attention. This has been a much better week. She has been much genlter with the baby and much easier to deal with overall.

I don't know if this will last but that has been our experience so far.

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by entiti View Post

*sigh, it's not that bad I guess.

My newborn son is 4 days old,, and is a breeze. But, my 2 1/2 year old dd is being CRAZY! Although every day is getting better, she still is throwing gnarly fits when the baby is nursing...wanting me to nurse her instead, Being crazy loud when he is trying to sleep (I know this one is somewhat normal....but jeeez!), just acting out in general. I can't go into it all. But since I can't do much right now but take it easy, it's really driving me mad.

Does anyone have any advice? What are the rest of you with this age group doing to help transition?

We just brought our tv in from the shed to watch some movies with her to help, but I'm so out of the loop with movies and tv....What are some good movies to get her that are age appropriate?

I really need some good ideas or advice, I was not anticipating this, she's usually such a laid back mellow kid, I hardly ever have any issues with her.

THANKS mamas:) these after pains are the pits!
hug2.gif
I hear you, and totally remember feeling like this at the birth of my second. All of the sudden the little girl who was my sweet, sweet baby turned into the monster I would kill if she dared to disturb or dream of hurting the new baby. I made my husband solo-parent her for a few days, maybe even a week as I just had such rage about what I thought she might be planning on doing to be baby boy. I think most of it was hormones, to be honest. With all other babies, I was prepared for those feeling and not as shocked/horrified by them and they were much easier to handle.

My advice would be to try to breathe deeply...understand that someone making crazy noise will actually make new baby sleep better in the long run---the last three we have can literally sleep through anything
ROTFLMAO.gif
and they have.

RE: movies, I absolutely LOVE almost all the veggie tales movies. Some are blatantly religious, so if that bothers you, you can self screen--but some of the mid-run titles are great and I actually like watching/hearing them also. My kids are very over them at this point, but I still have fond memories!

There is no shame in taking a break, and if you have help USE IT! Your job right now is to recover and make milk for new baby, and get ready to parent two at once. Nothing will ever be the same, but it will all get easier with time I promise.

#4 ·
Baby is 6 weeks old and DD1 is still driving me nuts! Tantrums and back talk and potty regression. She's back in diapers 24 hours a day! AAAAHHHHH!!!!

Nothing seems to work.. is she going to be like this forever?

#5 ·
My almost 3.5 year old daughter has been a bear too. It was the worst the two weeks after the birth, but she still has been no picnic. She started with the potty regression BEFORE he was born, so I have no help for you there, except that they will get back to it when they want to. I hope she does soon because she starts preschool in two weeks and is supposed to be PT'd. Oh well. Baby's crying... gotta go!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.