pacifiers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-04-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my night last night was rroouugghh. Baby H is def a boob man and he falls asleep easily when nursing. However he is also a puker and will nurse until he vomits at night because he wants to only sleep while suckling. He threw up (not spit up) 3 times last night and then sucked me dry trying to make up for the milk he vomited. He is not the best burper and the attempts always wake him up which means he wants to nurse againto fall asleep.  I never thought I would ever even consider pacifiers but I am curious on everyones take on them. Oh yeah, he is 15 days old

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#2 of 5 Old 08-04-2011, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I don't think there is a problem with a soother, if as you state he is nursing to fall asleep--and then making himself sick--rather than actually nursing to get more food.

That said, there is also a good chance that he will sleep better if you nurse until he is full and then burp until he wakes up/or burps and then soothe him to sleep on your own.

There may be another reason for the vomiting (food intolerance, reflux, who knows), so I would not just pop a sucker in his mouth willy-nilly, but you are the mama and would know best what he is actually needing. If the kiddo is gaining and sleeping well a pacifier can be a wonderful thing for a baby who just loves to suck, but doesn't need to eat all the time.

I hope that helps, I know there is a stigma about using pacifiers and they can be used to replace nursing, so I am very conscious of that, but do think there is a place for them in the world smile.gif

#3 of 5 Old 08-05-2011, 08:14 AM

I agree with sarafi.  I think pacis can be okay, I just think that they can also be risky.  The first danger of using a paci is using it too much, which could result in decreasing your supply and not getting enough milk into baby.  The second is that it might mask a problem.  In your case, the problem could be gas, foremilk/hindmilk inbalance (a/k/a oversupply), or something else.  Personally, I probably wouldn't go for the paci right off the bat, but if I'd researched and consulted with a doctor and was confident that there was no underlying issue, I'd probably go for it. 

I firmly believe that baby won't be happy if mama is miserable.

#4 of 5 Old 08-05-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizyellow View Post

So my night last night was rroouugghh. Baby H is def a boob man and he falls asleep easily when nursing. However he is also a puker and will nurse until he vomits at night because he wants to only sleep while suckling. He threw up (not spit up) 3 times last night and then sucked me dry trying to make up for the milk he vomited. He is not the best burper and the attempts always wake him up which means he wants to nurse againto fall asleep.  I never thought I would ever even consider pacifiers but I am curious on everyones take on them. Oh yeah, he is 15 days old

Obviously every baby's case is different, but DD1 was a lot like this - nursed ALL the time, and threw up a TONNE, everywhere.  DD2 nurses just as much... but doesn't spit up.  Some very young babies just have under-developed stomachs - the little "flap" at the top isn't very strong and a lot comes back out, especially if you aren't super-dilligent about burping.  We used to have to keep DD1 "upright" almost all the time.  "Don't spill the baby" was a running gag.  I don't think nursing less would have helped.

Also remember that 3 weeks is a typical "growth spurt" age.  I remember reading somewhere that a lot of babies will over-feed around this time to "stretch out" their stomachs a bit.  

I am not sure how I feel about pacifiers in general, but I would be hesitant to introduce one with such a new baby, who is still learning to nurse and feed.  Even if he *is* nursing too much, he needs to learn how not to, ykwim? 

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#5 of 5 Old 08-05-2011, 12:12 PM

my babe was having a similar issue...i have taken to interrupting his nursing after the first big rush of milk to burp him, and then putting him back on. i don't always get a burp, but it seems to reduce the puking. hope that helps! it also seems to be getting slowly better, my guy is almost four weeks old.

Amanda, DW to Drew, mom to Ella, 7, Gardner, 2, homesteading on the edge of the continent on the Lost Coast.
mdcblog5.gif California Homesteading, http://eastmillcreek.blogspot.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page