It wasn't the birth I planned but... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-06-2011, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was 42 weeks in yesterday. So first thing in the morning we went off to the hospital for a NST to make sure baby was ok.  Baby looked good, although both my midwife and the doctor had to tell me the risks involved in waiting any longer. (This has been a long process, we lost 2 before this one ) Our number one concern was making sure this baby got here safely. So after a discussion and lots of tears we decided to surrender our home water birth plans ( I've had 2 previous home water births) and stay at the hospital to induce labor. (midwives here are not allowed to break your water unless your in labor). It took a while to wrap my head around being in a hospital. So at 10am the doctor broke my water, at the time I was 2-3cm, my cervix was soft but long. After lots of walking 4 hrs later I was checked again and not much change, so off to walk some more. At 6 pm I was 3-4cm and 25-50% effaced. Although contractions had started to get stronger, between 6-8pm the contractions continued to grow but with not a lot of progression at 8 pm I got into a tub at the hospital, it felt great, although it seemed harder than my previous pregnancies. I stayed in the tub for an hour before wanting to get out, the washroom was now my choice to labor in, that constant feeling of having to go to the washroom. The contractions and pain were like nothing I have ever experience. My previous births were 6 & 3.5 hrs long, easy  even relaxing, this was the complete opposite. I tried various positions , water, ball, music, yoga breath nothing worked. Around 10:30 my midwife checked me again I was 5-6cm and 75% effaced. That was it I couldn't believe I hadn't progressed more and knew I couldn't take much more, it had been a long day, I was exhausted and the pain unbearable ( my previous pregnancies I hardly said a word) I had to almost yell through my contractions with my voice getting louder as the peaked, I was using my yoga breath and mantra, it was just really loud. My partner said it was extremely hard to see me in so much pain. I decided I needed an epidural (which is something I NEVER thought I do) and the doctor could not get there fast enough. It took the doctor about 30minutes to get to me. I hate needles and can tell you I didn't feel a thing the pain from the contractions was too overwhelming. It takes about 20 minutes for it to work. 20 minutes later they checked me and I was good to go I was shocked. The epidural didn't work on me completely, it only took effect on my left side, so I still felt the contractions it had just taken the edge off, thank god. Shortly after midnight I began to push, It was hard because of the epidural my body was so much more relaxed in a way and it was hard to feel what I needed to feel. I pushed for 1hr before she finally made her arrival. I am thankful I had the epidural because I was able to control the last pushes that not only resulted in my beautiful daughter but no tearing or anything (which is what I was most fearful of) So at 1:15am Aug 6th, Kya Chase came into this world weighing 8lbs 8ozs and 21"long. She is everything I could want and more, and she was absolutely worth everything I went through (the miscarriages, the hard pregnancy and the harder long labor). I'd do it again.

IMG_0283.JPG

#2 of 9 Old 08-06-2011, 04:00 PM

Congratulations!! She's beautiful!

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#3 of 9 Old 08-06-2011, 04:07 PM

congrats- glad you didn't end up with a c-section from the induction- she's gorgeous!

#4 of 9 Old 08-06-2011, 05:51 PM

Congrats to you!  Sorry that labor was so rough, but it sounds like you did what you needed to do and everything turned out well in the end.  She's darling. love.gif

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#5 of 9 Old 08-06-2011, 06:03 PM

Yeah mama nice job... I hope you are able to rest & relax now and enjoy your new gal. Rest up so you can get back to that pole dancing! :)

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#6 of 9 Old 08-06-2011, 10:34 PM

Awesome job and a beautiful girl you have there~sounds like you have made good peace as well. congrats!

#7 of 9 Old 08-07-2011, 10:40 AM

Congratulations! She is so pretty with a mouth you just have to kiss!

I had a labor similar to yours because of an induction - it makes the labor harder (I had pitocin in 3 out of 4 births).

I am glad she is here and safe!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#8 of 9 Old 08-07-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies, I am truly blessed and grateful she here. I am completely and totally in love. joy.gif

#9 of 9 Old 08-07-2011, 08:21 PM

Congrats! How adorable!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page