Why would you do this again? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 08-16-2011, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm now 1 month PP and I think about the birth everyday. It wasn't traumatic really, and pretty ideal in the way I imagined it would be. But I found the experience to be very "violent" in a way, like not really peaceful at all. My body, like, expelled a huge (tiny) human and took weeks to get back to normal. I felt like I thrashed around for my 20 hours of labor and the pushing, well, the pushing was like the epitome of wildness. Wild! I think my body scared me - it did it's job - but I feel like I never want to "go there" again. Even though after the birth I was OK and joked and ate and started to breastfeed and other regular stuff...

So....

Do you eventually forget what labor & birth is like?

I can't shake the feeling I never want to that again. Does this blow over?

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#2 of 21 Old 08-17-2011, 09:13 AM

I ended up being a home birth transfer (exhaustion, 12 hours in transition, asynclitic/posterior babe, meconium in amniotic fluid) but I still had a non-medicated vaginal delivery after an hour at the hospital. I pretty much cry every time I read about homebirth because I feel like I failed at mine... I feel like if I would have just walked more or gone on the car ride and come back home, I could've birthed my boy at home in the water like I planned for so long. The postpartum hormones probably aren't helping much either!

I know rationally that we did the right thing because my son needed quite a bit of help getting started and it would have been stressful at home and he most likely would have needed to transfer but I still am grieving the loss of the birth I wanted.

That being said - I'm already looking forward to my next baby/birth but probably for the wrong reasons. I really want to have a homebirth and I KNOW that I can physically do it. I feel like it will be healing and I want that. I also feel like I know what I'm in for and can better be prepared for birth number 2.

I definitely have had "labor/birth amnesia" because I already can't remember what contractions really felt like or what pushing him out felt like. I know it was uncomfortable - but it wasn't that bad. I think. 

I'm Cait  - married to my best friend Mike and Mama to Theo (7/30/11)  baby.gif

#3 of 21 Old 08-17-2011, 10:25 AM

hey :)

I think it somewhat does fade from memory. nature's way of populating the earth?There is no way you could/should get pregnant again right now and your head is still so in it that it's like a mental birth control lol. my first was a natural drug free hospital birth and while it rocked me, it really gave me a boost of confidence unlike any of the other births. i carried that "i can do it, im awesome..." feeling into my next homebirth and was amazed that it wasnt easier the second time. i felt it was even harder, and then this was really hard for me. more intense and i felt like much more of a weakling. that could have been due to his posterior position and bein a 10 pounder but still, i did'nt remember it being so hard and was only reminded when contractions got big .

i do think though, if you keep feeling it being truly traumatic for your mind and body, to try to find a way to heal with that a bit for next time. i don't know where to start with that, but my mw deals a lot with this idea of birth imprinting and such. she always says to start by looking into your own birth. do you know anything about how you were born? just a thought, a big one, i suppose. but i think a lot can come out when you are birthing and it has got to connect with something big and deep :)

#4 of 21 Old 08-17-2011, 11:19 AM

Subsequent births can be way different from your first birthing experience. For example- my first birth (7and a half pound twins born at home)  was radically different from any of my other births. I felt it was rough (my midwife induced me by breaking my water) and even though it was pretty quick (4.5 hour labor) I had horrible back labor (both babies were posterior and first one even came out posterior) I felt that ring of fire burning when I pushed them out, the second one I pushed out without contractions because my uterus was atonic and I ended up with what my midwife said was the most swollen vulva she had seen (luckily I never tore). I felt like I had been hit by a truck afterwards and it took me a long time to recover.

But it was worth it in the end........my next birth, labor was very quick and when my midwife told me I was 10 and ready to push I didn't believe her, my son then slid out like butter and I announced to her how easy that was and I was ready to do it again. So it was night and day from the first birth.

Next 2 births were an in between as far as pain, I did feel pain during labor (I am really a pain wimp who has a high pain tolerance) and when I pushed my fourth baby out I felt that ring of fire which I hadn't felt with my third child. Still it was not a long labor (4.5 hours) or a difficult birth so I was game to do it again LOL only the next time I was in labor with my 5th for over 2 days........a stubborn posterior boy and I was at my wits end trying to get him to turn etc; in the end active labor kicked in- it was 3.5 hours long and he was born after one push but I remember telling my midwife the last few contrax were a real mother fu**er and was not looking forward to ever doing that again.

I expected a painful birth with this new baby and secretly hoped for a fast/ painless one like my 3rd (thinking that was a fluke). I got it and have to wonder whether it was the homeopathics, acupuncture , the hypnosis CD I listened to daily since week 16 or a combo so yeah I'd be game to do it all over again if it's meant to happen (I'm 45) and I'd rather go through birth than any dental procedure.

I do remember what the contractions felt like this time and I vocalized it to my 20 year old exactly what they felt like which felt like a burning band that emanated from the back towards the front, as they reached the front it dissipated and I just felt pressure of the head coming down- my first labor with the twins I felt like I had 50 knives stabbing me in the back and that felt intense and the only relief I had was running hot water over my back and then our hot water ran out and I had to save it for the birth so I just had to cope as best as I could which I did by rocking my body.

#5 of 21 Old 08-17-2011, 02:16 PM

With DS1 it was not an especially difficult birth, but I spent 8 hours of labor and 2.5 hours of pushing my son with a nuchal arm - the pain in my back was agonizing.  Luckily he was able to be born at home and all was well.  A few hours after that first birth I was visiting with friends and said "I don't know if I can ever do that again."    And then the memory of the pain faded and a funny thing happened:  I started to look forward to giving birth again.  Giving birth was maybe the hardest thing I had ever done and I felt so incredibly proud of myself for doing it.  That feeling of pride and having that sense of personal strength and accomplishment really deeply meant so much to me.  I don't think I had ever before felt like I was so awesome, because I really totally felt like I was awesome.  Birth became this thing that I look at as one of the few amazing stories that a person might have in their whole life.  You may forget the pain, but you always remember the birth.  

My most recent birth was just as painful although in different ways.  This one was just so fast that the intensity of each contraction was completely consuming and the ring of fire was almost frightening.  Shortly after DS2 was born I thought "Whew!  Thank goodness I never have to do that again!"  and now here we are, not even 5 weeks later and I've already started to entertain the idea of another pregnancy, birth, and baby (which I actually started thinking about weeks ago).  

For me at least, birth is incredibly transforming.  The feeling of womanhood that I have while pregnant and (in hindsight) while giving birth is so special to me and I have such a small opportunity to experience it.  If I'm lucky I'll get to do it one more time, pain and all.

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#6 of 21 Old 08-17-2011, 03:40 PM

My first birth was as you describe--just wild.  Like I was my body, whereas I am usually much more in my head.  Not at all peaceful.  But that was why I wanted to do it again.  It was just the most intense experience of my life, and I loved it.  I remember it pretty well, I think, except for the parts I've blacked out (or perhaps was unconscious during?) 

My second birth was totally different.  It was an induction and I had back labor and a big baby and it was far more painful.  But somehow I stayed in my head the whole time.  And that wasn't an experience I want to repeat.  Fortunately, I'm done having kids.  I think. 

#7 of 21 Old 08-17-2011, 06:01 PM

Wow- 2.5 hours of pushing! That's incredible! You are way stronger than I ever could be, I'm always in awe of you strong women when I hear of long labors and such. I told my midwife this time that I am a very impatient birther and not to talk to me while I push even if it looks like I'm tearing etc cause I just like to get them out fast- she makes all her clients go out and buy a crockpot to have hot compresses if one isn't birthing in water and I'm like  hey I don't want there to be time to put compresses on me; I had a nuchal hand/arm with this baby and didn't know until the midwife had mentioned it and then the other midwife said well I better check for for tears sice he was born so fast and he had the nuchal hand/arm so glad I was okay. My neighbor just had her first a week ago after what was described as 33 hours of very intense labor, toward the end midwife wanted her to go to hospital but she managed to progress and had her baby at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist. View Post

With DS1 it was not an especially difficult birth, but I spent 8 hours of labor and 2.5 hours of pushing my son with a nuchal arm - the pain in my back was agonizing.  Luckily he was able to be born at home and all was well.  A few hours after that first birth I was visiting with friends and said "I don't know if I can ever do that again."    And then the memory of the pain faded and a funny thing happened:  I started to look forward to giving birth again.  Giving birth was maybe the hardest thing I had ever done and I felt so incredibly proud of myself for doing it.  That feeling of pride and having that sense of personal strength and accomplishment really deeply meant so much to me.  I don't think I had ever before felt like I was so awesome, because I really totally felt like I was awesome.  Birth became this thing that I look at as one of the few amazing stories that a person might have in their whole life.  You may forget the pain, but you always remember the birth. 

#8 of 21 Old 08-18-2011, 07:13 PM

I think I'm already starting to forget; I remember right after the birth, one of my friends was like "so...how many more do you plan to have?" and I was like "ummm I can't answer that right now, but none anytime soon" lol but here I am just 2 weeks out, and I feel like I could totally do it again!  It's a good thing my DH and I have an agreement that I am getting back on Birth Control ASAP because the last thing he needs when getting home from a deployment is a pregnant hormonal wife.

#9 of 21 Old 08-22-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guatemama1 View Post

I'm now 1 month PP and I think about the birth everyday. It wasn't traumatic really, and pretty ideal in the way I imagined it would be. But I found the experience to be very "violent" in a way, like not really peaceful at all. My body, like, expelled a huge (tiny) human and took weeks to get back to normal. I felt like I thrashed around for my 20 hours of labor and the pushing, well, the pushing was like the epitome of wildness. Wild! I think my body scared me - it did it's job - but I feel like I never want to "go there" again. Even though after the birth I was OK and joked and ate and started to breastfeed and other regular stuff...

So....

Do you eventually forget what labor & birth is like?

I can't shake the feeling I never want to that again. Does this blow over?

I could have written this post myself! 24 hours of labor with 3 hours of pushing...I am proud of myself but I still feel a bit "traumatized" by it all. Like I sort of can't believe that I did it...like you, I think about it a lot.

This was my first baby so I don't know about forgetting but I also can't see myself doing it any other way. I will definitely go back to my midwife and the birthing centre.
#10 of 21 Old 08-25-2011, 04:55 PM

I could totally do it again! Hopefully next time it will be on my terms though.  I could do it again right away if babies didn't take so long to cook .... I think 6 mos. would be more ideal! ;) Also, if the new baby wouldn't take away so much from the other children.   So, alas, I will wait until my boys are in school at least!  I just love finding out you're preggo, seeing the first u/s, finding out the sex, the empowerment of birth, and meeting a new human being!

Loving my twin boys! fencing.gif 11/03/2009 And my daughter 08/16/11 hearts.gif novaxnocirc.gif vbac.gifmomma  chicken3.gif Homesteader supermod.gif Doula

#11 of 21 Old 08-25-2011, 09:07 PM

I'm totally ready to do it again. I dont know if it's post partum hormones or what but I'm already thinking about #3 (STRANGE!!!) at 4 weeks out. Hubby asked if he should schedule a vasectomy so he might not be thinking 3 are in order. we'll see. before we got prego with #2 we were thinking we wanted 3. then as soon as we got prego we started thinking 2 might be better for us. Then #2 surprised us with an extra chromosome which makes me want 3 again but I think makes DH think 2 is better. Either way I'm waiting until #2 is at least 3 so they'd be about 4 yrs apart... I think. who knows!

But to discuss your OP, my first birth in the hossy was fast and easy and #2 at home in the water was faster and easier so I haven't had any traumatic birth experiences. Except that with DS1 I really didn't want an epidural and by my own lack of assertiveness (and different circumstances than the regular hossy birthing mama) I ended up with an epidural. DS1 had a 37cm OFC so it was probably a lot nicer for that ring of fire thing. I thought about how I had the epidural every day for months. Every time I heard someone I knew had an unmedicated birth it was like sticking a hot poker in my eye. I felt ashamed almost that I didn't do what I deep down knew I wanted. Finally I let go of it maybe 4-5 months out. So I guess it was a little traumatic in that the experience made me lament it every day for months.

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#12 of 21 Old 08-25-2011, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

I really, really love all your stories and feelings about doing this again.

#13 of 21 Old 08-26-2011, 05:22 PM

I would do it again in an instant! Actually I think those were my first words after Kayden was born - "I could definitely do this again!". I'd like about a 2 year spacing between kids so I'm hoping my fertility returns in time to make that happen. DH and I had thought we wanted 2 kids, but honestly if the second birth is as uncomplicated as this one was then i may end up fighting for more!

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#14 of 21 Old 08-26-2011, 05:31 PM

ddc crashing.  Your post was on top. :D

I don't "forget" really.  And every time I get ready to have another baby, I get skeert as labor approaches.  The memories do fade, or soften at least.  And I don't have "bad" feelings about the births, even the first one which was pretty miserable.  At 1 month pp, it's all still very fresh to you, and that's reasonable.  Give it time. smile.gif

But, but, but....I look at my boys, and think about how fabulous it would be to have yet another unique little person join our family, and I am willing to do it again (and again, and again). love.gif  It's not the labor I'm after, anyway, but the kid that I get out of it. joy.gif

#15 of 21 Old 08-26-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post

ddc crashing.  Your post was on top. :D

I don't "forget" really.  And every time I get ready to have another baby, I get skeert as labor approaches.  The memories do fade, or soften at least.  And I don't have "bad" feelings about the births, even the first one which was pretty miserable.  At 1 month pp, it's all still very fresh to you, and that's reasonable.  Give it time. smile.gif

But, but, but....I look at my boys, and think about how fabulous it would be to have yet another unique little person join our family, and I am willing to do it again (and again, and again). love.gif  It's not the labor I'm after, anyway, but the kid that I get out of it. joy.gif

A good friend and I were talking and I was saying how I couldn't imagine this baby being my last pregnancy and birth. and she said well, 10 years from now you're driving down the road on a family vacation... how many kids are in the back. I can only picture 2 but I really want to be pregnant and give birth again. weird. I'm seriously considering surrogacy just for that reason. We'll see, there might be just 1 more in our future... but I'm not sure if DH will be up for that now that DS2 is going to have special needs and be a dependent for life.

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#16 of 21 Old 08-26-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingSky View Post

I would do it again in an instant! Actually I think those were my first words after Kayden was born - "I could definitely do this again!". I'd like about a 2 year spacing between kids so I'm hoping my fertility returns in time to make that happen. DH and I had thought we wanted 2 kids, but honestly if the second birth is as uncomplicated as this one was then i may end up fighting for more!

Yeah- that's what got me hooked (easy births) and I am one of those weirdos who loves labor/birth- to me it feels good- no greater feeling to me in the world and then afterwards- the birth high- fabulous!

#17 of 21 Old 08-26-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmama66 View Post

Yeah- that's what got me hooked (easy births) and I am one of those weirdos who loves labor/birth- to me it feels good- no greater feeling to me in the world and then afterwards- the birth high- fabulous!

I was so looking forward to that high. But no one ever talks about the narcan effect of a 1 minute apgar of 6 and an unexpected outcome. That just stopped that high right in its tracks. Looking back on the video I went straight into caregiver mode. DS was doing OK, I wasn't worried about him, but he was slow to pink up so the midwife had the assistant giving him some blow by O2. She must not have ever been taught how to do it because she just stuck the tubing in front of his nose. So me (being an L&D nurse, obviously, trained in NRP) swiped that right away and started giving it to him right. Meanwhile, DH turns green and almost passes out so I'm standing there at the side of the pool, cord still attached, blood running down my leg, giving the baby blow by, and telling DH to go lay down and put his legs up. Crazy!! I did get a little bit of nice time once DS pinked up and we went to wait for the placenta on the lawn chair. We had the shade moved just right so my legs were hanging in the sun, I remember they were so nice and warm. The midwife kept asking if I wanted to go inside and I kept saying no because it's a basement where it stays a constant 65. It was a perfectly calm sunny high 70's outside.

Speaking of videos, it's weird having one. It's one thing to have your memory of the birth. It's another to have your memory supported (or not) by still photos. But it's quite another thing to have an actual video and know exactly when and what was said and what exactly happened. I wish my labor would have gone a little slower so I could have enjoyed it a bit more and also so the photographer would have time to get there. I didn't get a good video or any labor pictures because she wasn't there yet! oops. its still fun to hear my birthing sounds. I just wish I could have seen him come out. I must have had my eyes closed.

#18 of 21 Old 08-26-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahen2coop View Post

A good friend and I were talking and I was saying how I couldn't imagine this baby being my last pregnancy and birth. and she said well, 10 years from now you're driving down the road on a family vacation... how many kids are in the back. I can only picture 2 but I really want to be pregnant and give birth again. weird. I'm seriously considering surrogacy just for that reason. We'll see, there might be just 1 more in our future... but I'm not sure if DH will be up for that now that DS2 is going to have special needs and be a dependent for life.

Those are my feelings exactly! I considered surrogacy so seriously that I even looked into all the requirements and restrictions...Unfortunately it looks like 37 is the cutoff and I expect to be nearly that old when my fertility returns. My sister and I joke that I'll be her surrogate, but there no medical or other reason for it so that's not going to happen.

When I do as your friend suggests...I imagine two kids in the back, but maybe the third is hard to see in its infant car seat. :-)

Pregnancy and birth are almost magical to me. It is like nothing else, and it is my honor and privilege to have experienced it twice.

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#19 of 21 Old 08-27-2011, 06:16 AM

My labor and birth were anything but ideal.  60 hours of labor, no progression, lost my home birth, every intervention under the sun to avoid the c/s that I ended up with anyway.  BUT, I would still do it again.  I've always wanted more than one child.  Pregnancy wasn't perfect but I enjoyed most of it and it was so amazing to me all the things my body was doing.  I actually enjoyed laboring and I would have gone days longer but I didn't want my little boy to go into distress and have a real emergency.  I know I can do it the way I want to next time and I'm looking for the opportunity to "get it right" next time.  I'm working really hard at getting ready for the next time, healing my body and mind so that things will turn out beter next time.

#20 of 21 Old 08-27-2011, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmama66 View Post

I am still on this "birth high" even though I started this whole thing about never wanting to do it again :) I have been feeling really good about myself since the birth.. and I'm already a little cocky :) One thing I do remember is right when Arlo popped out - like a switch was flipped - all of a sudden I was present, elated, stunned, in a joking mood, and totally "high" --- a feeling I could see getting "hooked" on.. I mean there's really nothing like it happytears.gif

#21 of 21 Old 08-28-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guatemama1 View Post

I am still on this "birth high" even though I started this whole thing about never wanting to do it again :) I have been feeling really good about myself since the birth.. and I'm already a little cocky :) One thing I do remember is right when Arlo popped out - like a switch was flipped - all of a sudden I was present, elated, stunned, in a joking mood, and totally "high" --- a feeling I could see getting "hooked" on.. I mean there's really nothing like it happytears.gif

Yeah, getting hooked on it- exactly. I am grateful to have had the awesome experience of birthing 6 babies easily etc; I cherished every moment of it.

Mamahen- I always wanted a video of my births and was finally set to do so this last time but labor was too fast and even after I came upstairs ( I was downstairs talking to my daughter and rocking on the birth ball) I had no idea there was so little time left. I thought for sure I had more time because things weren't at all unbearable/labor was so mild and I planned to get back in the tub and that would have been a good time to have DH turn on the camera but there was no time for that. Baby came out so quickly and it was totally unexpected on my part.  Would have loved to have it on video. Oh well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page