Virginia Beach Schools, need help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-28-2011, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there.  I'm a mom of 2 and we are entering the Kindergarten search now which is stressing me out.  Currently, our daughter goes to Montessori school which only goes to 1st grade.  We happen to be the type of parents who would rather home school and our daughter asks to be home schooled but we battle with the idea all the time and just want to find a school that will fit our needs.  We are looking for a school that has smaller classrooms, an open concept of teaching of pace and acceptance, a great art program as our daughter loves art, good music program, good education...

I just don't want my daughter to be in a place where she is bored or gets lost in a class of tons of kids with a teacher who doesn't have time to control how everyone learns and what horrible things might fly out of other kids mouths.  I'm afraid of my daughter coming home after being told she is "ugly" or "weird" or after having her teacher tell her she should believe in Jesus. 

Does this make sense? 

I've investigated the Friends School out here and it seems that it might be too religious based or too expensive or asking too much of kids not to be kids. 

So, I'm hoping someone else out there has done some more homework and maybe found a school that they think is great and can share that info with me because we just don't know which direction to go in.  thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 01-29-2011, 01:00 PM

im subbing to this thread so I can find it later....I'm from va bch but I don't have time to post right now...

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#3 of 4 Old 01-30-2011, 07:12 PM

I have a friend who lives in Virginia Beach.  I will ask her.  Have you heard of the Edgar Caycee place?  They might be a good place to check into as far as finding a place that matches up to what you are looking for.

I'll get back to you/  I know how you feel about worrying about where to send your kid.  I get it.  And I am a teacher.

#4 of 4 Old 01-30-2011, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I know about the ARE, but are you talking about something else, like a resource center where they talk about these kinds of things?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page