I feel kind of silly posting this here - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-15-2010, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
But, I just need to get this out somewhere that I won't be laughed at. I found out this morning that the lead singer of a band I grew up listening to passed away last night. I'm 27 now, and have listened to his music since I was 14. His music helped make me into who I am, dh and I drove 6 hours to see this band almost 3 years ago, we were making plans to see them again this year. I'm mourning the loss of someone I never met. Is this weird?

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#2 of 12 Old 04-15-2010, 07:12 PM

who are you talking about? I might be right there with you.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#3 of 12 Old 04-15-2010, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Absolutely not. This kind of connection is exactly why people make their art their lives. (Well, other than the few pimply teen-aged boys who want to form a rock band to get girls...) You don't know him personally, but you can still mourn the loss of his music. It gave you memories, a connection to something outside of you (big for a teenager), and now you know the source of all that is gone. It is very sad. And it's the very reason why I don't understand why people want to know all the dirty details of celebrities.... But that's a different thread. I'm sorry for your loss.
#4 of 12 Old 04-15-2010, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I cried and cried and cried the night Harry Chapin died, and I hardly knew him. Mostly I knew him from listening to his albums over and over again, although I did meet him in person a handful of times at local concerts.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#5 of 12 Old 04-15-2010, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
who are you talking about? I might be right there with you.
Peter Steele of Type O Negative.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

#6 of 12 Old 04-15-2010, 08:09 PM

Ok, never heard of him or them but I can relate. Every time someone I watched growing up from movies or music dies, I feel like part of my past has been washed away.
I have a few artists that are near and dear to me. If they died, I would be devastated. They are part of my soundtrack of my life.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#7 of 12 Old 04-15-2010, 09:00 PM

I am so sorry. It's so sad, even if you never met him. I still remember the day Jerry Garcia died. I was on my lunch break and heard it on the radio. My boss actually sent me home from work, I was crying so hard.
#8 of 12 Old 04-15-2010, 09:28 PM

I am right there with you, I was shocked too.

At first I didn't believe it, they said he died in 2005 too, but it was just a hype thing, but I found out that he did indeed die.. very sad, very young.

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#9 of 12 Old 04-15-2010, 09:36 PM

I don't think it's weird at all. I was never a Type O fan, but many of my friends were. I still remember where I was and how I felt when I learned that Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jeff Buckley, and Dimebag Darrell died, so I can definitely empathize.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#10 of 12 Old 04-16-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
I don't think it's weird at all. I was never a Type O fan, but many of my friends were. I still remember where I was and how I felt when I learned that Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jeff Buckley, and Dimebag Darrell died, so I can definitely empathize.
RIGHT! I was horribly sad when I found out about Dime Bag Darrell, awesome musician and awesome person. I was just stuck on pause for a few days.

oddly enough I was really sad when Left eye from TLC died too, I never really got into their music at all though, but I was in tears when I found out about that. I guess its because they were all so young. It was just tragic

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#11 of 12 Old 04-16-2010, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for making me feel less strange about it. Dh came home from work last night and admitted to having a good cry on his way home. While we like many of the same bands, Type O Negative was one that we could always agree on, no matter what.

What makes his death even more tragic was that he was enjoying a period of sobriety. It seems so tragic that after struggling with drug and alcohol addiction for years that he would pass after (finally) kicking his demons. I'm really wanting to get the TON logo tattooed in memory of what this band has meant to me over the years.

#12 of 12 Old 04-16-2010, 04:40 PM

I say go for it!

I have a bunch of tats, and most of them represent someone I have lost.

I loved my dog so much that when I had to put him down, I tattooed his dog tag with wings on each side on my neck. I still miss him.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page