My Elderly Neighbor Died Saturday - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 03-22-2004, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...I didn't know until seeing his obituary in the paper this morning. I think it must have happened while we were out on Saturday. I usually see him daily as I walk to the Post office here, and he and I wave and exchange howdies and weather observations. I feel real loss over this. He lived across the street.

His wife was the organist at the local United Methodist Church where we have attended at certain times and where I have sung solos on Christmas Eve, our kids have attended Sunday School and so on. We no longer attend church, but Dear Betty's accompaniment was wonderful. She died a few years ago of cancer and Bill, for whom I am mourning, was pretty lost at that time. I remember going to see him a couple weeks after her passing and things had calmed down, and standing with him, sharing what words of comfort I could find to express myself, and he cried, and I hugged him.

Bill and Betty were a musical couple. Bill's fiddle music could be heard floating liltingly from their porch across the road to me as I worked outside or walked my dogs. Betty had an organ and a piano that she played at home too. It was such a treat to hear Betty and Bill's music.

Last summer, I participated in interviewing Bill and another elderly friend, who related their memories of our town at a time when horse and wagon were used as the mode of transport. I felt so lucky to be invited to participate in that. I listened intently and we all shared laughter and delight at their boyhood memories. Bill spoke of learning to fiddle, of who lived where back then, and about how and where business and industry were conducted. I placed names and dates on a map that reflected to the best of our ablility, the locations of homes and businesses at that time.

Bill also spoke of his beloved Betty, how she helped him learn new fiddle tunes since she could read music but he could not, and he shared with us photos of them and their family. It was precious time. And I felt very honored to have gotten to know Bill better.

Today Bill rests with Betty, the love of his life. I am sad, but happy too, that this wonderful musical couple now knows the greatest harmony together forever.

Joyce in the mts.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-22-2004, 12:24 PM

What a wonderful couple, thank you for sharing your memories and their rich lives with us. It sounds like its such a loss to your community of such a great couple.

Hugs~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#3 of 5 Old 04-08-2004, 11:35 PM

((hugs))
That was nicely written- thanks for sharing with us.

#4 of 5 Old 05-09-2004, 09:42 AM

Thank you for sharing! You have a beautiful way with words!
#5 of 5 Old 06-13-2004, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
I too have lost neighbors over the years. The one thing that I am consoled by is that I live in a community in which many times the grandchildren buy the homes of their grandparents and move in. So it continues within the family. Many of these children I used to babysit years ago, so it is really cool to see them with their young families now.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, ADEM, AFP, ASIA, CFS, GBS, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, POF, POTS, RA, SJS, SLE, SPD, TPI, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, fibromyalgia, Retts Syndrome, encephalitis, Hughes Syndrome, neurological damage, coma, or death."

~paraphrased from "Forrest Gump"~

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page