My idiot brother is in the hospital - UPDATE POST 11: He's gone :( - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 10-12-2010, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so sorry.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#32 of 56 Old 10-12-2010, 01:35 AM

So sorry.
#33 of 56 Old 10-12-2010, 01:26 PM

Oh, no, I am so sorry. Wishing you and your family peace.
#34 of 56 Old 10-12-2010, 08:55 PM

I'm so verry sorry! This is such a difficult situation, with out all the added family drama.
Sending you Strength to endure these tough days ahead. I also wish you strength to grieve in a way that allows you to heal. If you need some time away from your extended family- take it. You need to care for your self momma. You are in my thoughts...

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#35 of 56 Old 10-12-2010, 11:08 PM

I am so sorry. My BIL died right about 8 years ago from an accidental gunshot wound while drinking and using drugs with "friends". It was really hard for DH as to be expected. It was his youngest brother and he left behind a small child. I wish you peace and healing.
#36 of 56 Old 10-13-2010, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#37 of 56 Old 10-13-2010, 04:40 AM

I am terribly sorry.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#38 of 56 Old 10-15-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaMoo View Post
My mother died when I was 12, and some of her family members (including her parents) behaved in obnoxious and strange ways, as well. Being young, I didn't have to directly deal with it, but now as an adult I still don't understand why they acted that way. Well, truthfully, some people just suck, and the people who were jerks about my mother's death were jerks in their regular lives as well. (Not saying your family members are being that way, but mine certainly were.)
It was my grandmother that passed when I was 12, but THIS is what happened here, too. Some people were just... off... in the way they handled things. I recall being particularly disturbed by an older family member screaming out of the blue, wailing, tearing at her hair and throwing herself on the ground. Yet my grandmother's death was expected. A little later I realized this hysterical woman was stumbling drunk - she'd come to view my grandmother's body in that condition. There were several other family members who were drunk at the funeral, and a few oddballs who were behaving in completely inappropriate ways while sober.

I know none of this is what's happening to you, but I suppose I'm just trying to illustrate that extreme situations often bring out extreme behavior. And sometimes, it just serves to accentuate already extreme mannerisms in the people we have to deal with. I am so very sorry you have lost your brother, and I think you are behaving normally and processing this unexpected loss the best way you can FOR YOU. Be angry, cry, walk, pray, whatever you must, but most of all, be gentle to yourself. You've been through a lot.

((((HUGS))))

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#39 of 56 Old 10-15-2010, 09:22 PM

Could read without sending hugs. Last year my 25 year old BIL overdosed in his parents house and was found dead by his mother. A year later, DH is still grieving and the anger of the situation surrounding his death is still right at the surface. I hope you find peace and I am so sorry for your loss.

Michele - Homeschooling mom to Hadley, (10/03 - the 23 week preemie miracle) and Noah, (08/05)
#40 of 56 Old 10-15-2010, 09:28 PM

Peace to you and your family, mama.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#41 of 56 Old 10-15-2010, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#42 of 56 Old 10-15-2010, 10:31 PM

I'm sorry for your loss.
#43 of 56 Old 10-15-2010, 11:28 PM

So sorry for your loss.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#44 of 56 Old 10-16-2010, 12:39 AM

I am so sorry! My brother was addicted to heroin in his late 20s and my mother and I lived in fear of this scenario. He finally came to his senses and asked us to help him get clean, which we did. Just do what you need to do, go to family, avoid family. When they all clear out you can be there more for your mother. Very sorry. There is just my brother and I and I always hated the idea that he would leave me alone.
#45 of 56 Old 10-16-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatullah0 View Post
For now, its not so much the death as it is all of the stress involved around it that is bothering me.
I have to agree with you.

For me, relatives were the hardest part.

My mother died just last Sunday. We have never gotten along and at the time her illness began we were estranged. We were able to mend our fences (as much as could be mended) and then she died. I was there for three weeks watching her deteriorate. I am so grateful that she was able to die at home and she was surrounded by people who loved her. I am also grateful she wasn't in a hospital being taken care of by strangers. It was a horrible way to die but everyone who was there for her during her suffering were great.

But it was the aftermath of it all, the control issues, the greediness and the hypocrisy. All of that turned me into a basket case and I ended up leaving and not staying for the memorial (the planning that went on around it was ridiculous). If I never see those people again, it will be too soon. I don't know if it is something I will ever get over and I have a lot of resentment right now about it.

So yeah...I get what you are saying.

Crazy mom of 9. grouphug.gif  A wife to one.  flowersforyou.gif

-Life is a long lesson in humility.-

James M. Barrie

#46 of 56 Old 10-17-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:

I think today's grief is focused around the 7 year old boy(not the drug addicted teen) and how he was my best friend back then.

I am so so so so so sorry.
#47 of 56 Old 10-17-2010, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
I think today's grief is focused around the 7 year old boy(not the drug addicted teen) and how he was my best friend back then.
:-( :-( mama i can so relate to that. its been 11 years and i still miss my brother today. moreso as i see my dd grow up and remember what an excellent uncle he was to our nieces adn nephews. they completely hero worshiped him the same way he hero worshipped me before he hit the teens.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#48 of 56 Old 10-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Dar

I am so sorry. Your poor sweet brother.

I'm not sure if this will be helpful to you, but my long-time friend Katie lost her son to drugs a few months back. She has blogged about it extensively and I know she's also found some small comfort in contact with others going through the same type of loss.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#49 of 56 Old 10-17-2010, 05:35 PM

I am so sorry for your loss mama, so sorry.

Samanthawild.gif mama to 5 joy.gif                                                         

#50 of 56 Old 10-18-2010, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm so very sorry for your loss.

#51 of 56 Old 10-18-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:

Lost my brother to a drink related accident in 2002 when he was 19 years of age. There were a LOT of issues with my brother but essentially, when I grieved for him, it was for the little boy I used to know, not the person that boy became. In a way, I had already lost him and already grieved for him, it wasn't any easier necessarily, in fact, in some ways it was harder because the whole thing was so bloody confusing and what made it even weirder was my family bigging up some of the shit he got into and making out like some of what he did was ok.

Families can be so weird.

I hope you can learn to seperate the boy from the man, I hope your memories of the boy stay pure and true and I hope your pain at losing the boy eases in time. Remember the man as he should have been and not as he was.

Many hugs!
#52 of 56 Old 10-18-2010, 11:34 PM

I am sorry, and I completely understand what you are going through. I lost my youngest sister in 2005. She had been self-destructing for years (but her death was due to natural causes); her drug was alcohol. I mourned the loss of potential and I was angry as hell that we would never be able to come to terms with the estrangement between us that her alcoholism caused. A teeny tiny part of me was relieved that now the worst was over and I would not have to worry about getting the call that something horrible had happened to her, and I was ashamed of that. She also left behind a baby girl.

And I understand about the relatives. An aunt who had been divorced out of the family for years showed up and became the chief mourner. My sister's MIL who barely acknowledged my sister took over all the arrangements and really marginalized my parents, who were completely numb from shock and grief. Death brings out the absolute worst in people.
#53 of 56 Old 10-19-2010, 02:53 AM

I am so sorry!!! ((((hugs))))
#54 of 56 Old 10-19-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
I am so sorry. Your poor sweet brother.

I'm not sure if this will be helpful to you, but my long-time friend Katie lost her son to drugs a few months back. She has blogged about it extensively and I know she's also found some small comfort in contact with others going through the same type of loss.
Just coming here with a and to share a link to Katie's blog, as well.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#55 of 56 Old 10-23-2010, 02:43 AM

Salaam alaykum dear sister,

I am so very sorry for your loss.

I am sending you, your brother, and your family light and love.

You are not alone. May you find peace.

<3

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

#56 of 56 Old 10-28-2010, 01:18 PM

I lost a friend to a heroin overdose just about 3 years ago.
It was very difficult dealing with the people who enabled him at his memorial, fortunately they were not my family. May you find a quiet safe place to grieve.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page