My dad passed away this evening. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just can't make my brain comprehend this. I posted on my blog about what happened. It was totally unexpected and it caught us all by surprise. My blog is here, if I can't post this here I'll take it out. I've been in tears all day. I just don't know what to do or how to begin coping and healing.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#2 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 08:41 AM

So sorry. hug.gif

#3 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm so sorry.grouphug.gif

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#4 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 PM

(((HUG))) I am so sorry. What a terrible shock for you and your family.
#5 of 14 Old 01-05-2011, 04:50 AM

I'm very sorry for your loss.

My mom also died this week and I know it is still really hard for me to process that she is gone.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#6 of 14 Old 01-11-2011, 09:28 AM

My sympathies.  My dad will be gone soon.  It is so hard to process. 

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#7 of 14 Old 01-16-2011, 04:01 AM

hug.gif So sorry for your loss

Mom to DS#1 and DS#2 fencing.gif
#8 of 14 Old 01-16-2011, 07:24 PM

So sorry to hear about your loss.  My dad passed away six months ago. Two days before my son (his first and only grandson) was turning one.  I wish I had thoughts or words to say, but it basically just sucks.  I feel robbed even though I hav a gorgeous healthy boy.  He just needs a grandpa.  Just embrace your children, for me that is all that is getting me through.

#9 of 14 Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I am so sorry for your loss.  I saw your dad's birthday on your blog post.  That spoke to me because my Dad was born in 1952 also, and I still think of him as being young.  Much love to you and your family grouphug.gif

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#10 of 14 Old 04-10-2011, 09:27 AM

I am really sorry about your dad's passing.  My dad died last June of a heart attack, very suddenly.  You need to make sure that you have people around you to support you- child care, cooking, etc. for at least a few days, if you can...  For me, I was in shock for a good 4-5  months.  By November a deep depression set in and I'm still there.  I started therapy and it is very helpful.  I also realized that I was drinking to cover up my sadness so I stopped that.  Now the sad feelings are coming out in full force but at least there are there and I am dealing with them.  It's probably going to take a long while to get over.  I expect that for me it could take up to another year to feel somewhat normal again, as painful as it is.  It's so hard, too, to deal with a sudden death like that.  It's such a shock.  Just go easy on yourself.  Pamper yourself, if you can... massages, dates with your partner if you can, visit with friends, fun stuff.  When I was at my mom's house after the death and we were cleaning out the house and dealing with my dad's stuff, it was pretty intense.  We all took a day and went to a water park just for an escape.  It was like medicine.  It really took our minds off of all the drama and unpleasantness and it was wonderful to have a day of fun and relaxation.  

My prayers are with you.

#11 of 14 Old 04-10-2011, 10:44 AM

So sorry! I lost my own dad years back, very suddenly, so I can understand how disoriented it can leave you feeling. I have no magic cure. It's just time that takes the edge off it. I don't think you ever really stop missing them though.

#12 of 14 Old 04-18-2011, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Udonandbroth, I have been drinking a lot more than usual and realize it doesn't help make the pain go away. I'm also seriously considering talking to my doctor so that I can get a prescription for antidepressants, it's not what I want to do, but I am realizing that I don't cope well with even minor disappointments now. The slightest kink in my day can send me from a great mood into a snotty mess in no time. I've tried pretending to okay, and I seem to have fooled most of those around me, but it's not working for me.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

#13 of 14 Old 05-24-2011, 03:34 PM

How are you holding up? Big hugs to you! My father in law unexpectedly passed two weeks ago tomorrow. We are having a rough time, to say the least. They were married for 37 years, 3 kids, 9 grandkids. I feel so sad for my mil who now has to face a huge house on 35 acres alone everyday. And I hate that my babies don't get to see their Papa anymore. There are so many mixed emotions every single day. I hope you are still making it through each day.

Almost crunchy momma to Adisyn (6), Gage (4) and Dellan (1)
#14 of 14 Old 05-27-2011, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

I'm still kinda having a rough time. Dad's birthday is in less than a week, and my grandma who passed away almost two years ago would have had a birthday on the 24th. I still haven't talked to my doctor about antidepressants, I really don't want to go that route if I can avoid it. I finally broke down (after I drank quite a bit) and told hubby that I wasn't coping well. I'm making an effort to not turn to alcohol when I've had a bad day, but that's also a struggle. Sometimes I feel like I don't have a grasp on things like I should and small things that shouldn't bother me still have to ability to send my day into a tail spin.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page