Grief and guilt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-28-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I lost my kitty of 5 years yesterday and I'm devestated. She leaves behind a sister from the same litter who seemed very upset at first but she's coming around. I'm not though. I still feel so heartbroken. And I think the guilt is worse than the grief. When we got these cats we intended for them to be indoor cats. But they meowed and clawed at the screens so this summer we started letting them outside. We gave them increased freedom, and they started to test their boundries. We should have said no more once they started crossing the street. It's a busy street! We should have seen it coming. But I didn't realize how much their instincts, that sense of danger had been numbed from being inside all those years.

Yesterday morning I came outside to take DS for a little stroller ride... and I found my precious kitty Skye lying dead under a tree. :( Pretty certain she was hit by a car. At least the driver paid her respect by moving her off the road.

But now I'm left with this horrible pain and guilt. This could have all been prevented with a simple leash,or keeping them inside. I wish I'd known the risks. You just don't think it'll happen to you...

How do I heal from this. I know I have to forgive myself but I'm having a hard time doing that. :( I just miss my little kitty.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-29-2011, 11:29 AM

I'm sorry for your family's loss. 

Healing from the loss of a pet takes time. 

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#3 of 4 Old 07-14-2011, 07:51 PM

I am so sorry for your loss.  I understand what you are going through.  I lost one of my dogs in early February...  Similar to your situation, it was a sudden loss that resulted in horrible guilt.  There is no quick fix...but it helped to talk about it to those closest to me...the healing unfortunately takes time...

#4 of 4 Old 07-15-2011, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys. Firefox I'm sorry for your loss as well. I'm still having a hard time of it. I know that if it had been one of those things that just happen and there's nothing you could do about it I'd be accepting it so much easier. But I just feel like it could have been prevented and I miss her so much. :(

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page