Friend lost her baby at 37 weeks. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2011, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm just devastated for their loss. It was their first baby and they were SOO excited and couldn't wait to meet the baby. We've known each other literally our whole lives but aren't super close. Is there anything I can do? I told her to let me know if she or her family needs anything, and she told me she appreciated it but I'd really like to DO or send something. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
A "sorry for your loss" card is fine for now. Offer her a chance to talk if she needs to. The most important thing you can do for her is to mark next years' calender and send her a card next year saying how you remember the loss of her sweet baby and call the baby by name if you know it. In 12 weeks or so no one but a grief group will want her to talk about the dead baby. Not even family.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! They are having a service in a few weeks. Do you think a charm bracelet with the baby's name, DOB, and weight would be a nice keepsake, or a painful reminder?

Old 07-22-2011, 01:03 PM

I know someone who lost her first baby at full term.  When she delivered, someone in her family gave her a plant.  I don't know what kind, but a common type, grows upwards and has broad leaves. She told me once that she loves the plant because as it grows, she can imagine that her daughter would be about the same height.

~Dawn

Blah blah blah
Old 09-13-2011, 10:52 AM

You are a great friend. Your continued support and love might be all she needs. Pay close attention to the things that she says. Maybe she will drop a hint about something special to her that will give you an idea of what you can do for her.

Also, look around her room or her house. What does she really treasure? That will give you more clues.

Hope this helps.

User Tag List