Non-viable pregnancy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-12-2011, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant on and off for a year and a half.  We moved from my hometown to Chicago, then found our way to Alabama and I don't have a "regular" gyn anymore.  When we first got here, a little over a year ago, I went to Planned Parenthood and got a checkup - everything checked out.  We never intended on staying here long, so we stopped trying for several months and I never bothered getting a regular doctor.

At the end of July, I didn't start my period.  By mid-August I still hadn't gotten my period or a positive pregnancy test and most of the doctors around here wouldn't see me without the pregnancy test until they had "open hours" where they were accepting new patients.  Beginning of September, I started to bleed.  Badly.  I went to the ER and they tried to tell me it was just my period, but after a week of bleeding I went back.  The long and the short of it is, I was experiencing a "non-viable pregnancy".  They asked if I wanted to schedule a d&c, which I declined, told me what to watch for and sent me on my way.  When I pressed for what exactly they meant by a "non-viable pregnancy", the doctor told me to see my regular doctor and walked out.  Now, this isn't the first time this has happened at this hospital, but it's the only ER within an hour of me (first time was a year ago when I had a miscarriage at 6 weeks).

Now, I've gone through the miscarriage - something that I needed to do and I'm glad I did.  But it's so hard to talk to anyone about it.  Most everyone is of the opinion that I was never pregnant in the first place - which my body strongly disagrees with.  My mom said to me that she didn't think I was pregnant nor could get pregnant on my own (HPV and treatment 5 years ago).  So I've had to go through this alone.  Not that my husband hasn't been here for me - he has been wonderful.  But I'm a homemaker, and he does so much for me, I hate burdening him with it when he gets home from work.  I'm not a regular poster here, and maybe that's what makes it a little easier to say something that I haven't been able to say elsewhere.  I'm not crying everyday anymore.  I thought I was better.  But then my cousin drowned, and I just shut down.  I didn't know what to say to my parents or to my grieving aunt and uncle - I haven't actually cried for him.

I don't really know.  I just know that I'm not as okay as I thought I was and that I needed to share - to unburden myself.  Thanks for letting me.

I'm a poetic Pagan namaste.gif married to my Christian rock starjammin.gif, trying to start our family. blogging.jpg

#2 of 4 Old 10-19-2011, 06:57 PM

In my eyes you lost a child. One you never got to hold.  A miscarriage is a hard thing and it effects everyone differently.  Take your time to grieve for your own loss.  Grieve with your husband.  Take your time to heal.  Not everyone will understand, a lot do not.

I couldn't not reply to you after reading this though.

((hugs))

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#3 of 4 Old 10-19-2011, 08:58 PM

i'm sorry for your loss.

#4 of 4 Old 10-22-2011, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you.  The fiercely independent part of me rails against even sharing, but the grieving part of me appreciates hearing from someone else what I've been feeling.  I think the hardest part was not being able to get answers from doctors, and then having people use that as "proof" that there was never a tiny life here.  Thank you.

I'm a poetic Pagan namaste.gif married to my Christian rock starjammin.gif, trying to start our family. blogging.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page