Feeling guilty/ I needed this inheritance - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-28-2011, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

My dad died unexpectedly from West Nile Virus a 1.5yo.  We were doing OK financially, but several months later we see we would have been up S**t Creek without this inheritance.  I miss my dad desperately and am feeling outrageously guilty.  It sucks feeling like this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#2 of 5 Old 10-29-2011, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hug2.gif I'm sure it is hard.  I'm sure your dad loved you very much and probably is looking down greatful that he could help you even after he's gone.

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#3 of 5 Old 10-29-2011, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

Thanks for responding.  I really just needed to vent anonymously.  I mean, how crass is it to whine to my friends about getting an inheritance?  Talk about boorish.  But I feel like a vulture.  A very appreciative but bummed-out vulture.  My sisters and I get a morbid laugh that my Dad-- ever the Republican and business major-- would have appreciated the fact that he died in the *one* year that Arizona didn't have estate taxes.

I appreciate all those who just read the post without responding as well.  Thanks for giving these feelings a voice, however brief.

I love you, Dad:   "Twist Forever!"  

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 5 Old 10-30-2011, 05:52 PM

That was one of his gifts to you.  To feel guilty doesn't do either of you any good.  Talk to him about how you feel.  I'm serious.  Get a photo of him, take 20 minutes when you have alone time, and talk to him.   Someone once suggested this to me (with my dad), and it really was a healing thing to do.  Hugs to you.  Be gentle with yourself. hug2.gif

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#5 of 5 Old 10-30-2011, 07:15 PM

I understand that kind of guilt. And honestly, it does no good to you in the long run. You've hit financial difficulties, well- so have a majority of the rest of America! Don't feel guilty that you have been given a gift from your Dad, of all people! Rejoice that he lived a good life (i hope) and that while his death is sad, he left you an inheritance because you are his daughter and he loved you (again I hope).  Sorry your dad has passed. Focus on the good memories that you have, and know that you don't have to do anything special to get this inheritance other than be who you are! 

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page