I don't know if I belong here....not really a loss.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-23-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi...

I don't know where I belong. I dont fit in in the infertility forum, or the birth loss forum, and I feel kind of lost here.

So I guess Ill just share my story and maybe someone will have some words of wisdom...

DW and I are a blended family, she brought two children and I brought two children into the relationship - we have raised eachothers since infanthood - so we really are both parents to all kids. We want to have one more child to unite and complete our family.

DW will be carrying our baby. I am extatic to have a baby with this woman. But I am grieving completely and fully the loss of never being pregnant again. When I was pregnant with DD#2 I never thought it was my last - ever. I would have enjoyed it more, revelled in it more. We decided that DW will carry because I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and the meds that we finally found to work arent completely safe for pregnancy, and we dont want to risk trying something else. Plus, I have endometriosis and have historically had a harder time getting pregnant than DW has.

I so want to be pregnant again. I want to grow and nurture a child in my womb, I want to breastfeed a newborn, I want to feel the hormones. I am aware that pregnancy and birth isnt all sunshine and rainbows - but the bad aspects have never really bothered me. I crave pregnancy, I crave it with every fiber of myself, and now I find that I am grieving that loss - as if its an actual loss.

I know...logically...its not. There was never a baby to grieve, I still will get a baby out of this process. I haven't lost anything but an experience and I feel so silly grieving an experience - not an actual thing. But I cant help but cry when I hear people talk about their pregnancies, I feel so alone when DW tells people we will be having a baby. Very few will see this as my baby, it will always be a fight - and Im okay with fighting. I have no worries that I wont bond with it - I just...I just want someone to feel true excitement with me - that its my pregnancy too...even though I know its not.

Im rambling now. We havent even started actively trying yet - we are trying to find sperm. But..Idk...Im grieving

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#2 of 6 Old 03-24-2012, 01:17 PM

hug2.gif

I can really understand your feelings. I think a lot of women who have chosen, for one reason or another, to not have another child (but still have some longing for another baby) feel a lot of sadness around that.  You *have* lost something in the process--- just because the *big* thing you want (a child) is still going to be there does not mean you haven't lost anything.  Hopefully acknowledging that will help you put that away.

Lastly, I wanted to mention that you would be an excellent candidate for induced lactation (assuming you nursed your other children) IF your medications are safe to take while breastfeeding.  I know that my SIL (who is bi-polar) ended up weaning and one part of that was medication issues.

hug2.gif

deborahbgkelly likes this.

#3 of 6 Old 03-27-2012, 07:35 AM

It is absolutely appropriate to grieve the loss of the experience of pregnancy. 

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg
#4 of 6 Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I know how you feel. I won't be a mother again. It was dh's choice and I really had no say but to go with it. Dd just asked today, How come I don't have any brother's or sisters? I knew one day that question would come and today it did. The only saving grace is that she has a cousin who won't have any siblings either. In their case the mother doesn't want any more. Oh well... I know there are sadder things in this world. I think of mothers that can't bear any and pacify myself.

Let me make sure that my thoughts, words and actions are beneficial to the scene in which I find myself ~ Unknown
#5 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 09:52 AM

I've never given birth so I really don't completely "get" where you're coming from but I have wanted children my entire life and I can definitely understand the wanting aspect of it.  Hang in there...

You could still breastfeed.  Both of you could.  Read up on inducing lactation. smile.gif

Kris violin.gif: in love with J shine.gif, "auntie" to W (6yrs) sleepytime.gif  and Z (4yrs) blowkiss.gif and "mommy" to Katie goldfish.gif

→Waiting to start our own little family after college and marriage←

Back to school May 2013!

Someday it will be my turn: h20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFnak.gifnocirc.gifcd.gif

#6 of 6 Old 08-18-2012, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I wanted three children, badly. I have two daughters. My husband informed me that he could not live through another pregnancy during the second pregnancy and he got fixed when our youngest was six weeks old. I am grieving the loss of the son I will never have. It's hard. I have dreamed about my son for many years. I miss him. I hated being pregnant and my last delivery almost killed me. I want another baby. I honestly kind of hate babies. I hate having to focus on someone else that much of the day. Drives me batshit. I want another baby. I want my son.

I understand. It's hard.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Tags
Grief And Loss

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page