What to do for 3.5 year year old that just lost mom & almost lost little sister - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Around midnight 3 days ago, my cousin was driving her almost 2 year old daughter, home from the emergency room. The girl a high fever and my cousin just wanted to make sure she was ok. On the way home, their van was hit head on by a drunk driver. My cousin was killed in the accident and the girl may be paralyzed from the neck down as a result. The girl's brother (3&1/2) and the dad (divorced) are left behind. Before this, the kids lived with the mom.
They live in the US, I live in Europe. What I can I do for the little boy from so far away? I also have a daughter almost 2 and I can't stop thinking about that little boy.

#2 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Oh wow, that is terrible.  I don't even know what to say, but I'm so sorry. brokenheart.gif

#3 of 9 Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 AM

You must feel so helpless from so far away.

This might be something you can do.

When my father died suddenly, my husband and I were busy consoling my mother in the hospital.  We were overwhelmed because neither of us had never had to make funeral arrangements before, and we had no one locally to call around the local funeral homes.  We had to tell the hospital which funeral home to send my father's body, and had no idea where to start.

My sister, bless her, from the other side of the U.S, looked up the funeral local funeral homes on the internet.  Then she called each of funeral home and talked to each funeral home and got preliminary information and prices.  After discussion with us, still in the hospital, she made the decision of which funeral home to send my father's body and got the ball rolling. It's amazing how much she was able to accomplish from so far away.

This was a huge help to me, and enabled me to comfort my daughter.

I know that you want to do something directly for the 3.5 year old, but something like this would help him indirectly.

laketahoemama likes this.
#4 of 9 Old 05-21-2013, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

oh i just want to say i am so sorry

happily in love with dh blowkiss.gif and raise my three jelly beansjumpers.gif and missing my  babies in heavenangel3.gifangel3.gifangel2.gifangel1.gifangel1.gifangel1.gif angel.gif we finely got are rainbow and me and her daddy are so glad are rainbow is here  born on 11/07/2013 
#5 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 12:31 PM

How horrible.  I'm so sorry to hear this.  When an acquaintance of mine died leaving a 2 year old and a 4 year old, her sister made quilts out of her clothes for them to sleep with.  Maybe something like that would help?

WAHM to Sofia 12/09 and angel1.gif 4/13

"If you want to be happy, be."  Tolstoy

familybed1.gifviolin.gifBFPChart2.gif

#6 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 07:14 PM

When my son's brother died, he was given one of these special doggies by our local family center: http://shop.pillowchums.com/ORION-ST9919B.htm

It's called a Starshine Watch Dog. It's originally for children who are afraid of the dark, but he finds it comforting when he's having anxiety and fear at night. 

Sarah-Wife to Kelly, mostly organic crafty SAHMama to my angel, Canaan (11/01/07-03/15/2013) and Ezra (05-12-09).

#7 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremieli View Post

How horrible.  I'm so sorry to hear this.  When an acquaintance of mine died leaving a 2 year old and a 4 year old, her sister made quilts out of her clothes for them to sleep with.  Maybe something like that would help?

That's such a beautiful idea.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#8 of 9 Old 05-25-2013, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I am so sorry to hear this.  My heart goes out to your family and the two kids and their father.

If you have any pictures of your cousin and her family, maybe you can put together a photo book for the little boy?  You can make a photo book that is pretty sturdy and is an actual book for fairly cheap through sites like snapfish, that way he could have a book that is his with pictures of his mom and his family that he can look at any time he wants.  

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#9 of 9 Old 05-25-2013, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the good ideas. The funeral already happened (closed casket because Mom was in such bad shape) and I'm waiting to get an update on the boy to see how he is doing in case there are any specific issues.

Poor little guy just started sleeping through the night in his big kid underwear a week before the accident.

Tags
Grief And Loss

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page