Need some idea's today-private memorial - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-22-2007, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Uncle passed away last week. The service is being held Wednesday. We live out of state and will not be able to attend.

However we live very close to the Mississippi River. My Uncle's life passion was his work as captain of a steamboat on the Mississippi. He worked on the river for at least 30 years.

When he lost his job he never recovered emotionally, and his death was a direct result of his health deteriorating from ongoing grief and depression.

I would like to go to the river Wednesday and have a little memorial with dh and ds.

We already collected several rocks from the Arkansas river nearby, where he worked as a young man.

I'd like to do something visual at the river...something like a kite, or something with the rocks...I thought of sending out a note to him on a fishing line....something I could photograph beforehand and send home to family.

Any idea's? I am struggling to think of anything specific. I really want to have remember him in some way connected to the river.

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 01-22-2007, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think sending them pictures is a great idea! I am well comforted by the pictures people take of where they go to remember my loved ones. We've sent messages on helium balloons (maybe Sacred Litter isn't such a crime??), you could find a steamboat replica to send off with messages, or (easiest) you can build a stone totem to remember him. Here are pictures of Hannah's *trip* to Alaska, included is a picture of the totem my friend built for her there.
However you choose to remember him, I'm sure your documentation will bring great comfort to his loved ones...

~diana

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page