How is this right? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-28-2008, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My grandmother suffered a catastrophic stroke last Sunday night. She was taken to the hospital and a CAT scan revealed little to no brain activity. The family decided not to take heroic lifesaving measures, and to just let her go, because there is zero chance of her ever coming out of a coma.

I called my dad last night, to see how everyone was holding up, especially my stepmother (it's her mom), and he told me there was no change in my grandmother, that she's on morphine but that's it...she's not even being hydrated.

I didn't realize that "no heroic lifesaving measures" meant actively starving her to death!!!

That's horrible, how is it even humane???? It would be kinder to just turn up the morphine and kill her quickly!!!
#2 of 9 Old 02-28-2008, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
s I dont know what to say. Is there anything that anyone can do at this point for her? They have to be able to give her painkillers for the pain, right?

My heart goes out to you and your grandmother. She will be in my thoughts.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#3 of 9 Old 02-28-2008, 03:48 AM

I'm so sorry.

Missing my Auntie
Grandma to 4 beautiful little boys
#4 of 9 Old 02-28-2008, 12:11 PM

And that is one reason why I believe in human euthanasia, its a kinder way to go, without all the pain and suffering....

to you and I hope for everyone's sake, she goes quickly...

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#5 of 9 Old 03-01-2008, 11:28 PM

My grandmother refused food and water when she was near the end--we asked the hospice if there was anything we should do and a nurse told us that's what happens when people die naturally...they stop eating, then stop drinking, then pass relatively quickly. It's not starving to death so much as just dying.

I'm sorry about your grandmother.

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#6 of 9 Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 PM

This happened to my mother in October. The Dr assured us he would keep her comfortable and turn the morphine up as much as she needed.

It took 2 days but they finally got the morphine up high enough that she could rest. Every time she would even twitch, one of us would grab the nurse ... "more morphine!"

(these people had no idea how much my mom could take ... and i don't know what they were afraid of? killing her?)

anyway she rested after that .... and slipped away as the full harvest moon rose - it was beautiful.

Mom to DD born 1989 DS born 1993 and grandma to
DGS born 2005
#7 of 9 Old 03-12-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoLawyer View Post
My grandmother refused food and water when she was near the end--we asked the hospice if there was anything we should do and a nurse told us that's what happens when people die naturally...they stop eating, then stop drinking, then pass relatively quickly. It's not starving to death so much as just dying.

I'm sorry about your grandmother.
I lost my grandfather on 1/18 of this year. He had Alzheimer's and about a month before he passed, he had a really 'clear' day. My grandmother asked him what he thought about tube feeding in order to keep him alive as the Dr's had recently been talking to her about that. He had the wherewithall to say he didnt want that so she honored his decision. He'd actually stopped eating on his own while he was mobile and about three days later became bedridden. He lasted 8 days after that, well beyond what any of us thought he would. Hospice was there to help with his care and offer morphine to ease his pain and no one made my grandmother feel guilty for not pushing a tube feeding on him.

I know how horrible it sounds but it really is just part of the dying process and most people arent privy to it until it takes place in their own family.

My heart goes out to you.
#8 of 9 Old 03-15-2008, 11:50 AM

Hi....

this is happening to my dad right now. It's killing me. I don't want to visit him in the hospital anymore because it is screwing me up inside, but if I don't go I know that would be worse.

I'm so sorry about your grandma
#9 of 9 Old 03-15-2008, 12:49 PM

I am so sorry

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page