S/O Gifts for 7 year old boy who doesn't... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 11-17-2008, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't want to hijack the other "7 year old boy gift thread".

Can someone please suggest gifts for a 7 year old who doesn’t build, do crafts, play sports, play with action figures, play music or like to read?

He likes board games, but we've got a lot of those.
He likes buses and bus schedules - but we've got 2 Playmobil buses for him, and he only wants a new one if it can (a) be 12" or larger AND (b) have real bus like doors that he can open.
He's interested in bridges, but doesn't want to build them.

He spends a lot of time in his head, imagining things. He likes to pretend to BE the bus driver (or the fire fighter when it was that obsession).

He clearly needs some new things to do (he's getting a bit bored).So, he is a hard kid to buy gifts for, and I'm getting requests for a gift list from the family.

The only thing I can think of so far is a rain gauge.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#2 of 29 Old 11-17-2008, 05:32 PM

Does he like dress up clothes?
How about some documentary type movies (about buses, maybe?)
#3 of 29 Old 11-17-2008, 06:56 PM

You said he likes to "BE" something. What about costumes to go with his imaginary play?

Or what about a small tape recorder for him to record the stories he is telling in his head?

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

#4 of 29 Old 11-17-2008, 07:14 PM

Dress up was my first thought, too. Maybe a transportation themed box? (pilot, bus driver, ship captain, train conductor...).

You mention rain gauge. Does he like science? Circuit systems, ant farm, potato battery....

Maybe his bus driver obsession could segue into a travel obsession.....leading a safari, a band of camels across the desert, guiding climbers up Everest.....maybe he'd like some travel material and dress up items related to amazing destinations.
#5 of 29 Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 PM

You mentioned that he likes bus schedules... What about a collection of different schedules from across the country? You could probably request them free online. If you are at all crafty, you could make him a special "bus" scrapbook to keep them in.
#6 of 29 Old 11-17-2008, 09:46 PM

Or what about maps? Road maps, state maps, trail maps.....

If you (or any of the gift givers) are a member of AAA, you can get the maps free, shipped directly to your home! That is my favorite feature of AAA
#7 of 29 Old 11-17-2008, 10:02 PM

I know you said upthread that he doesn't like to read, but do you think he'd be interested in something like David Macaulay's "how things work" books? Macaulay also has a DVD series about how large things are built, and I'm pretty sure there's one on bridges.
#8 of 29 Old 11-17-2008, 10:20 PM

If he's into maps maybe as others suggested get him some cool maps for his room. There also used to be a cool interactive globe you could buy. It may have been made by leapfrog, I don't remember.

Amy - mom to Anna-Rebekah 14, Logan 13, Christian 8, Ethan 7 and Adan 07/15/08
#9 of 29 Old 11-17-2008, 10:24 PM

A compass? Costumes?
#10 of 29 Old 11-17-2008, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A day out someplace fun and take the bus?
#11 of 29 Old 11-17-2008, 11:23 PM

Lego suits a lot of kids.

For the totally lost adults in his life, suggest gift cards from Amazon so that you can buy a book to satisfy an obsession. (Then you have to, perhaps in April, send an email describing his ecstacy upon receiving a copy of "Stingrays Among Us" or "Why Lightning Happens" and your apparent pleasure at being able to read it 50 times over from cover to cover...)
#12 of 29 Old 11-18-2008, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
I know you said upthread that he doesn't like to read, but do you think he'd be interested in something like David Macaulay's "how things work" books? Macaulay also has a DVD series about how large things are built, and I'm pretty sure there's one on bridges.
thank you! Yes, there's one on building bridges. (Building Big: Bridges.)

Dress up clothes are another good idea -- I'm trying to find a uniform shirt/jacket for our local bus company. The "problem" is that he doesn't want to just any bus driver, but the bus driver for our local bus company. And he's a stickler for details.

He already has every bus schedule in town and doesn't appear to be interested in other city's buses unless he's ridden them. (He's an oddly focused child.)

Dh and I can give him "bus rides", but alas, extended family are 1500 miles away and can't do that.

Keep the ideas coming, they are all helpful in getting me thinking in new directions!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#13 of 29 Old 11-18-2008, 03:43 PM

You should have hijacked (if it's mine you're talking about). I'm still looking for ideas :

Mama to three  
#14 of 29 Old 11-18-2008, 03:57 PM

How about a globe? That's on my son's list.

I also got my son an underwater periscope - it's kind of cool:
http://www.hearthsong.com/hearthsong...c=1005&pgc=148
#15 of 29 Old 11-18-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
The only thing I can think of so far is a rain gauge.
What about a weather station?

Would he be interested in growing crystal rocks or other things that are more sciency but not really crafts
#16 of 29 Old 11-18-2008, 10:06 PM

Does he like books other than fiction books? My 8 yo son has never has cared much for fiction but really likes books like the World Almanac for Kids, Guiness Book of World Records and a Children's Encyclopedia. He likes the facts and figures in them.

Or maybe find an theater class somewhere in your town?

Stamp book & stamps to begin a stamp collection?

Coin book to collect the state quarters?

Sticker book of world flags? My kids really like looking at all the different flags. I think Usborne has one.
#17 of 29 Old 11-18-2008, 11:22 PM

Would he enjoy videos of people he knows taking bus rides in other cities? Then maybe he would want scheduals from those.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#18 of 29 Old 11-18-2008, 11:57 PM

The rain gauge made me think of maybe a science kit? My 7 y.o. dd LOVES the science kits that I've bought. We're doing one now on crystals made by ThinkBox (I think it came from Target). They also have a lot of great stuff at Home Science Tools.
#19 of 29 Old 11-19-2008, 12:54 AM

What about a stop watch? (I know that may sound a little weird, but I know many kids that like to time things -- or time themselves doing things.) I was also going to suggest a voice recorder, but a pp beat me to it!

Are you near snow? What about a snowboard, ice skates, or something like that?

What about some action figurines? Lynn- you answered a post I had about figurines - I got ds some Safari brand figurines.

And to piggy back on the David Macaulay thing, what about this CD-Rom?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

The New Way Things Work:
What can a Wooly Mammoth possibly know about machines? Ironically, this ancient beast is your animated guide to history's great inventors and their mechanical creations stemming back to 7000 B.C. Accompanied by comedian David Macaulay, the Wooly Mammoth explores over 150 simple and complex machines with 25 live action videos, 24 movies, and over 1,000 illustrations. -- You'll discover the inner workings of inventions we often take for granted today. Each lesson is divided into four segments - "The A-Z of Machines", "Principles of Science", "History", and "Inventors" - for an all encompassing overview. Witty anecdotes and clever animation make learning a joy in this interactive software application

There's also a "How things Work" game -- if he could stand another.

Do you think you could bridge him into another form of transportation, like maybe airplanes or ships?

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#20 of 29 Old 11-19-2008, 01:23 AM

What about one of the kid-tough digital cameras, to make videos and take pictures? Maybe while on the bus! He could even make a scrapbook to go along with the schedules, with a picture of each bus stop and the buses that stop at them.

As far as the uniform for dress-up goes- maybe you could give the local company a call. They may have some uniforms around that are no longer suitable for the drivers to wear. Maybe they'd sell you one cheaply.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#21 of 29 Old 11-19-2008, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Maybe some game props for his imaginative play. Some specialty children's stores have them already assembled. A gift certificate may also be something that he would like, if he really has to have only certain things then he may be happier to choose them himself.
#22 of 29 Old 11-19-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
Would he enjoy videos of people he knows taking bus rides in other cities? Then maybe he would want scheduals from those.
I think this is a wonderful idea if you have any gift givers who would be willing to do it!

Would an "I : My Bus Driver" t-shirt be too silly?

What about more city life Playmobil toys to go along with the bus? Maybe a gas station and a corner store, or a playground if you pass one on the bus route. He could set it all up like the bus route you take and be the bus driver going through town.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#23 of 29 Old 11-19-2008, 09:22 PM

Would he like to cook? I'm getting my like-age dd (who doesn't play with toys) and Easy-Bake oven, so that she can experiment with food with abandon.

I just saw a cool gift idea on a blog and thought of your ds (and my dd)--a vintage typewriter! Although it might be tricky to get ribbons...
#24 of 29 Old 11-21-2008, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
I can't see my parents (80+) doing that any time soon (nor my prosecutor sister, nor my corporate sister..) Maybe my brother is geeky enough to try that (ds shares many many traits with my brother) - I'll suggest it to him!

Thanks for the suggestions -- I've gotten some good ideas for the family.

DVD Building Big: Bridges
How Things Work Game
Science Kits (Motion, Chemistry)
A kids' weather station that includes a rain gauge (mom has a digital one, but he can have one all his own!)
Lift bridge building kit from a hobby shop
Monopoly (the real game - he's asked for it)

Books:
Bridges: Amazing Structures to Design, Build & Test (Kaleidoscope Kids) (or a couple other ones I've got).
Building (Make it Work! Science)
City Transit Buses of the 20th Century: A Photo Gallery

Santa found someone who's willing to sell me some shirts from the local bus company (and a patch to sew onto a jacket!), we'll give him some 'coupons' for bus rides. We're thinking about a digital camera for him, as well as a globe. I'm also considering a fish tank (a nice one) - he was really fascinated by my friend's one the other day.

#25 of 29 Old 11-21-2008, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestjob View Post
Lego suits a lot of kids.
I agree. I'm betting if you got him Legos and built it for him that he would eventually begin to build buildings and bridges himself. Plus Lego has so many different models out there to choose from.

What about one of those Brio things that comes with a table and roads and a train? I see them a lot at book stores in the back of the store for kids to play with.

19 yr old
12 yr old
4 yr old
#26 of 29 Old 11-22-2008, 12:28 AM

We have similar gift-buying problems for our ds as well. We try to get family members to gift "experiences" rather than tangible items. Last year, for instance, my parents' big Chanukah gift to him was a trip into NYC for lunch and to see The Lion King on Broadway. He loved it! What about tickets to a show or special museum exhibit? Or a sleepover and trip to a favorite restaurant with his aunt(s)?

Someone mentioned collections...my ds is into the state quarters, so last year, one set of grandparents got him a new, really nice book to hold his state quarters.

You mentioned he doesn't "play music." Does he listen to it? We have bought many CDs as gifts for ds in the past. Now he has his own iPod (purchased by him with b-day money) so iTunes gift cards are great! He buys a lot of audio books for his iPod, another good idea for gifts...

My ds has a LeapFrog globe with a "pen," and when you click on each country it plays the national anthem of the place, speaks some words in a language common to the place. He has been very obsessed with the anthems at times. It has definitely held his attention more than a regular globe.
#27 of 29 Old 11-22-2008, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy68 View Post
I agree. I'm betting if you got him Legos and built it for him that he would eventually begin to build buildings and bridges himself. Plus Lego has so many different models out there to choose from.

What about one of those Brio things that comes with a table and roads and a train? I see them a lot at book stores in the back of the store for kids to play with.
Thanks, but alas, Lego DOESN'T suit ds. He's one of the few kids that have very little interest in building things. He wants to play with the things that we build, but then gets frustrated because they break easily. I don't know if it's motor planning issues or weak fine motor skills or his preferred learning style, but he's not a lego kid. We have a number of legos that go unused.

We have lots of trains and train tracks. Dh's godmother is into collecting, and she "collected" a lot of Thomas the Tank Engine stuff for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachma View Post
Someone mentioned collections...my ds is into the state quarters, so last year, one set of grandparents got him a new, really nice book to hold his state quarters.

My ds has a LeapFrog globe with a "pen," and when you click on each country it plays the national anthem of the place, speaks some words in a language common to the place. He has been very obsessed with the anthems at times. It has definitely held his attention more than a regular globe.
The quarters are a good idea, and I'm strongly thinking of the LeapFrog Globe too.

Alas, most of the relatives live 1500+ miles away so an experience isn't going to happen. We are going for a week over the holidays, but we'll only have 3 days with my family and 3 days with dh's family (and one day of travel between the two).

#28 of 29 Old 11-22-2008, 08:47 PM

How about memberships to the zoo or museums if there are any in the area?

Some other science-type stuff my big boy likes:
A Root Viewer

Cable Car Kit

A Pulley (we didn't by this one, just created one from stuff at home depot... a lot cheaper!)

Also my kiddo likes his standard, non-talking globe a great deal as well.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#29 of 29 Old 11-23-2008, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
Thanks!

He saw the cable car and thought it was cool. So that's a great idea. It's nice to know that a standard globe works too.

(I think I'm really the one who wants the talking globe. Along with the Moon in My Room nightlight and the Glow in the Dark model of the solar system. Ds has no interest in the latter two and I think they're really cool.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page