Musical Instruments for 3-year-old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-24-2008, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter saw the standing xylophone in the Magic Cabin catalog and was immediately drawn to it, even asking Santa to bring it (which she has yet to ask for anything before now). So, I know she really likes it. If we got her that, it would be her only present due to its cost. Do any of you have an instrument like this? Do you think it would get a lot of use? My daughter does really like music and I am interested in teaching her the basics of it. Would this be worth the money, or should I look for the cheaper, non-standing versions? Any other instruments that you recommend? We have a drum and then some toy instruments that function more as toys. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 12:09 AM

Well, it might kill the surprise but what if you took your DD to a music store and let her try out some percussion kits? Then you could see if she really is into it. Or if she is more excited about something less expensive, like a tambourine, shaker eggs, or castanets. When my kids were younger, they had a "band in a bag" kit that came with the above instruments plus a couple others and they loved it.
#3 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I agree with the PP. Another is ask your self how will I feel if she suddenly looses intrest? Will I think heck we payed $$ you will learn or will you be okay if like many 3 year olds her prefrence suddenly shifts ans she totally looses intrest.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#4 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 06:05 AM

Would this one work?

http://www.target.com/Schoenhut-12-P...%20kids&page=1

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#5 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 01:40 PM

Also, how does she usually play--sitting down, or standing up? From 2-3, my DS rarely sat down--he'd just play with whatever toys by standing next to the coffee table. Now he'll sit no problem. Does she have a table that's her height? For sitting or standing? If so, skip the standing xylophone and go for the less expensive table top one.

I bought my DS a little drum set, which he happily played with a lot for 2-3 weeks; now he'll play with it maybe once a month. He'll also play with the band in a box kit (his favorite item is the triangle--the maracas actually freak him out a bit) maybe twice a month, for about 5 minutes each (same w/ the harmonica and recorder)...so, what I'm saying is that once the novelty wears off, don't expect her to play with it very much (if she does, great, but don't expect her to). You can always upgrade when she's older and more committed. =)
#6 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 04:40 PM

My situation is a little different, but ds is 4yo and has a guitar, bass, and a drum set (all given to us for one reason or another). My dp is a musician, so he teaches ds about the instruments, and they spend a lot of time together doing it. Ds definitely uses his instruments on a regular basis, and is learning a lot about music, and LOVES it.
He was never really that into "toy" instruments very much. But the real ones he loves. (saying that because you dd could well like a real xylophone much more than the instruments that you say function more as toys).

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#7 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
my ex is a musician too so dd has gotten toys from the music store and real things.

i was also v. lucky that i had a unicef store where i lived (no longer there anymore ) and we got a lot of neat instruments from there from all over the worlds. not too expensive either.

we got our dd a casio keyboard when she was 1. she loooooooved it and it amazed us how quickly she figured out teh buttons and functions.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#8 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 05:30 PM

DS banged my pots and pans with passion when he was a tot. At one, we gave him a toy snare drum, and added that to the drum set I'd made out of my giant Christmas tins (the kind popcorn comes in). At 1 1/2, he watched us rehearse (DH and I are in a band) and was mesmermized by our drummer who was nice enough to let him sit and play on the big kit. Tearing him away was nearly impossible. After much thought about buying him a jr drum kit, we ended up purchasing him a toy drum set--$20 at JC Penney--when he was two which he was thrilled with! He combined it with his "tin set" and banged away on it regularly for two years. Our feeling was that it was a MUCH less expensive way to go initially and a way for us to gage the interest/longevity level. We could always trade up later. Which we did. At 4, we bought him a real drum kit (jr size) which he continues to play regularly. He'll be eight in a few weeks. He is already talking about that full size kit someday. Yikes! (We're thinking when he's 10).

Our approach was this: the interest and drive were clearly there. Although there are times when he takes a break for weeks or even months... he always comes back around to it and plays regularly for months (sometimes hours a day). The pattern has been consistent since he was about 1 years old. OTOH, DH and I wanted to give unconditionally and told ourselves that if he loses interest that's ok too. Well, he hasn't lost interest and it would be hard to imagine how this would happen, but even if so, that would be ok. Our feeling is, it's never a bad idea to have good instruments around the house.

Of course... we're both musicians so...

The best in whatever you decide.

Em

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
#9 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 09:06 PM

OP around here my kids know that "Santa" sometimes brings things that are similar to if not exactly the same as the item they asked for. So I might substitute a less expensive model or a non floor-standing one. But first I might hunt ebay or somewhere similar to see if I can find it for less. I think Magic Cabin even has an "outlet" store on ebay where they sell off their "floor" models and the like.(Well...they don't have a "floor" lol but it's the samples and items they used for photographing the catalog)
#10 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 09:12 PM

Here is Magic Cabin's ebay store in case anyone can use it, I stumbled on it when trying to follow my own advice last year :

http://stores.ebay.com/mcdarchives36...sxQ3asstQQtZkm

User Tag List