chalk concerns - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-26-2003, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I am not sure where to put this so I'll try here. With two chalk recalls in the past few weeks, both due to high lead recalls, I am wondering about the safety of chalk generally.

Does anyone know? I mean, does all chalk contain some amount of lead? If not, how did the lead get into the recalled chalk?

Sigh, yet another thing I didn't know we had to worry about -- and now have to research.

Thanks for any insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-26-2003, 12:47 PM

I want to know this too - my girls chalk outside just about every day and my toddler constantly puts them in her mouth. I stop her when I see it, but had never really worried about it. Now I'm
#3 of 7 Old 11-26-2003, 01:41 PM

Chalk is usually just calcium carbonate- perfectly harmless. I believe the chalk that has been recalled was colored chalk- more likely than not it was the pigmentation that contained the lead. This would make sense to me.
#4 of 7 Old 11-28-2003, 02:51 AM
Banned

But sidewalk chalk is usually colored, right? So it usually contains some lead? This really has me worried, as well!
#5 of 7 Old 12-01-2003, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I guess I should have remembered what chalk is, but my memory has tanked recently.

So now I have to wonder about the pigments -- which, when you mentioned it, I did have some vague recall about lead and pigments but it is *very* vague.

But, crayons and many children's paints are often labeled non-toxic, which to me means no lead. So why would we all of a sudden run into problems with chalk?
#6 of 7 Old 12-01-2003, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

(double post)
#7 of 7 Old 12-02-2003, 05:00 AM

It has to do with being manufactured in other countries. There were recalls of crayons manufactured elsewhere (China???) a few years ago due to lead, and kids wooden handled brooms manufactured in Mexico that had lead paint on the handles.

Anything colored or painted is really a risk. You can buy a lead paint tester kit at the hardware store. I had dh check the painted chairs after my ds ate some of the paint. It's scary- my kids play with colored sidewalk chalk as well- I think I'll look for just white- but then- it could be in the white pigment - ugh.

I had dh check all the paint on our walls as well, since our house was built in the 1960s and anything before 1978 can contain lead...

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page