sleeping in the wet spot... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-10-2002, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can someone please tell me how to best survive the getting-out-of-the-nightdiaper phase in the family bed????? My almost 4 year old is wonderful at toileting during the waking hours... and makes her best effort at night... but we can't seem to get out of the dipe for more than a couple of days without the inevitable flood in the bed...on my side, natch. We have tried towels on the bed, but she never seems to be on them when it happens... I also try to watch her fluid intake after dinner... but nothing is really getting it. She really wants to be out of the dipes, but more often than not doesn't wake up to go to the bathroom. Any ideas or tried and true tricks for a dry night's sleep?? Thanks!javascript:smilie('')
#2 of 7 Old 04-10-2002, 12:09 PM

Ohhhh- that wet spot :
I was going to say since we started co sleeping we don't get the chance to make wet spots in the bed anymore. It's usually on the couch...or on the floor....or in the bathroom....
#3 of 7 Old 04-10-2002, 12:19 PM

I thought this was going to be one of those verboten sex threads!

But on to the real subject... we've learned that when ds gets all squirmy it means he has to go, so one of us gets up and takes him to the potty. If he doesn't squirm by about 2am one of us just seems to instinctively wake up, and we take him then.

Otherwise, just keep a pile of thick towels next to the bed and sleep on those when you find a puddle. (We have a waterproof mattress cover, and we always just get up and change the sheets as needed, but I can understand not wanting to go through the hassle in the middle of the night!)
#4 of 7 Old 04-10-2002, 01:05 PM

Nice intro into this thread! Catchy!!!

I'm going to move this over to the childhood years forum...that forum is lonely!
#5 of 7 Old 04-10-2002, 02:50 PM

And here I thought the thread was about leaky breasts! I guess that tells you what stage I'm in right now!...
#6 of 7 Old 04-10-2002, 08:19 PM

this is a difficult area for me too - I'm much more concerned about ds getting out of nighttime nappies than out of my bed!

waterproof mattress covers totally overheat me at night and I really don't like getting soaked

also ds is totally unpredictable, some nights dry till 7 am, others wet by midnight - what to do??
#7 of 7 Old 04-15-2002, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all who responded. Our saga continues with this shift... I spoke to our pediatrician while dd was sick last week and mentioned this, and he basically told me to just relax... That it was better to maintain a dipe until she was dry at least 80% of the time to avoid causing her issues over it. Your mileage may vary-- I just wanted to post that in case it helped someone else. So we'll continue on. I guess her wanting to get out of them is a good sign, her body just has to catch up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page