Who makes the warmest coats? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 12-04-2008, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In your opinion who has the best/warmest winter coats out there for kids? It seems like nothing I buy lasts or can stand up to the colorado cold.
#2 of 32 Old 12-04-2008, 10:50 PM

We're in Ottawa, which has -40 winters...so I feel like I know what you're talking about

We've had great success with toaster suits from www.mec.ca and Columbia 2 piece snowsuits. We always spend top $ for good boots, mitts and hats, cause we want the kiddies to like winter (not loathe it as I do!).

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#3 of 32 Old 12-04-2008, 10:53 PM

I like North Face.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#4 of 32 Old 12-04-2008, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We are in CO as well. The brands I tend to buy are North Face, Patagonia, and Hanna Anderson actually makes some nice, warm jackets that aren't bulky and they are 50% right now! This year I bought DD1 an Obermyer jacket off of Sierra Trading Post, we'll see how it does this winter. I haven't had good luck with Columbia, they are just not enough, there is a HUGE warmth factor between my Columbia and North Face jackets. I look at consignment shops, sierra trading post, I often buy next year's jacket at the end of this season when they are very discounted. I found DD1 a North Face fleece at TJ Maxx recently so deals are to be found if you look

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 32 Old 12-04-2008, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
We are in CO as well. The brands I tend to buy are North Face, Patagonia, and Hanna Anderson actually makes some nice, warm jackets that aren't bulky and they are 50% right now! This year I bought DD1 an Obermyer jacket off of Sierra Trading Post, we'll see how it does this winter. I haven't had good luck with Columbia, they are just not enough, there is a HUGE warmth factor between my Columbia and North Face jackets. I look at consignment shops, sierra trading post, I often buy next year's jacket at the end of this season when they are very discounted. I found DD1 a North Face fleece at TJ Maxx recently so deals are to be found if you look
I saw that at Hanna Andersson, which one would you recommend from there? I don't do TJ Maxx much because I have never had luck with clothes there in the past, there was always something wrong with it. I shop Ross a bit but no luck on coats. Northface I have never ever seen under $90 in the kids size. I am a deal getter except when it comes to coats. I would buy a Hanna though .
#6 of 32 Old 12-04-2008, 11:29 PM

Have you looked at LL Bean? I'm not in a frigid climate but we do get some very cold months (in the farenheight teens). I love the Bean coats.
#7 of 32 Old 12-04-2008, 11:48 PM

Depending on where you are in CO going up to Cheyenne to the Sierra Trading Post Outlet can get you some great deals of their stuff. We went to get last years coats in Octoberish for 5 of us (due to a fire we had to replace everything) and we came home with 10 coats because of some of the deals we got on next years sizes. Anything they have in their catalogue you can cross the parking lot to their warehouse and try on.
#8 of 32 Old 12-05-2008, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
I'm in CO too and over the years we have been warm with Patagonia, Land's End, Obermyer, Spyder (local Boulder company) Hannah Andersson, North Face and Bogner (uber $$$ German brand).

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#9 of 32 Old 12-05-2008, 12:38 AM

We just came home in 5F temps (and it's only the beginning of December ). My kids are wearing Columbia, Nike, and LL Bean. With any brand, you have to watch for the warmer, thicker coats. For example, I've found a huge difference between different styles of Columbia jackets. Most are too thin, but I have found a few that are warmer.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#10 of 32 Old 12-05-2008, 01:16 AM

We have Hanna Anderson warmest coats, and I'm thinking of buying the "expedition" jacket because they exterior seems a bit more durable and less likely to snag or rip.

ETA: with the "warmest" Hanna coats, my kids are wearing one size smaller than normal. DD wears a 100 in evryething, some 110 hand me down jammies from DS, and her size 90 coat fits perfect. DS wears a 120 and a 110 in the coat.
#11 of 32 Old 12-05-2008, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good advice here. I think basically those companies that make quality outdoorwear for adults do the same for children.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#12 of 32 Old 12-05-2008, 03:35 AM

Lands End makes some nice stuff for kids too - they're located in WI, where it does get cold! (Columbia is based in Oregon, and it never really gets cold here!)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#13 of 32 Old 12-05-2008, 04:30 PM

Hmm...maybe Columbia makes a Canadian version that's warmer or something...they're about $150 and SUPER warm/breathable/waterproof here...?

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#14 of 32 Old 12-05-2008, 06:05 PM

Besides being weatherproof, i haven't found much difference between any of these brands... haven't done hannah andersson or lands end.. but have an assortment of patagonia, llbean, north face, columbia, karbon, spyder etc... all have pros and cons but really its whats underneath...
I like patagonia's capaline long underwaer..as well as underarmor and various others... good layering with a good weatherproof outer shell does the trick for us.

The North face, patagonia, Spyder and karbon are way overpriced,imo..there are very comparable products out there alot cheaper. I'm not oppsed to them on ebay,tho. (heehee).
#15 of 32 Old 12-05-2008, 06:35 PM

down from LL Bean
#16 of 32 Old 12-05-2008, 07:11 PM

Another vote for MEC, www.mec.ca. Obviously a Canadian company and, I have to say, they have the most fabulous winter wear. Their Toaster suits and jackets are great. All of their products are very durable and will last from kid to kid. Their stuff is even unisex so you can use and keep it for boys and girls.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#17 of 32 Old 12-05-2008, 07:14 PM

I got ds a Wildcat Parka from L.L. Bean and I find it's too thin. It's nice for the school bus and in the car because it's not bulky, but when it's below freezing and windy he is not warm enough in it. We are in Mass.
It actually works for us because ds doesn't last more than 15 minutes out in the snow no matter what he's wearing.

L.L. Bean has the Rugged Ridge parka for kids, it's waterproof and probably one of their warmest kid's jackets. It's $109 though.
#18 of 32 Old 12-05-2008, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeca View Post
I saw that at Hanna Andersson, which one would you recommend from there? I don't do TJ Maxx much because I have never had luck with clothes there in the past, there was always something wrong with it. I shop Ross a bit but no luck on coats. Northface I have never ever seen under $90 in the kids size. I am a deal getter except when it comes to coats. I would buy a Hanna though .
I like the Warmest Down Jacket (I think that is the name) and the Expedition coats. the Expedition feels very thin but it's obviously enough because DD1 has never once complained in it and she has worn one for the last 2 years. The Expedition is also nice and long so it covers their behind which is really nice to keep out the drafts and for snow play.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#19 of 32 Old 12-05-2008, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
We have had the Hanna Journey's End jacket and it was plenty warm enough for CO.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#20 of 32 Old 12-05-2008, 07:45 PM

I just got DS a coat off www.rei.com (outlet section) seems very toasty thus far

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#21 of 32 Old 12-05-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridgeart View Post
We're in Ottawa, which has -40 winters...so I feel like I know what you're talking about

We've had great success with toaster suits from www.mec.ca and Columbia 2 piece snowsuits. We always spend top $ for good boots, mitts and hats, cause we want the kiddies to like winter (not loathe it as I do!).
Have you seen the newest version of the Toaster suits?
They are no longer made in Canada. They're now made in China, and the quality is really down. They are much heavier, the zipper is flimsier - it's not the same product. Very disappointing. I left a comment in their suggestion box.

Now I have to find an alternative - total drag!

Mama to my 2 boys
#22 of 32 Old 12-06-2008, 02:17 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
www.cabelas.com

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#23 of 32 Old 12-06-2008, 10:19 AM

I got dd one of Gap's Warmest coats. We live in MN and she hasn't complained of being cold in it yet- and she's stayed out for around an hour or so at a time in it (but she's always been a hot kid) I wanted to stick with something that was down, since my experience with my own grown up coats has always been that down was FAR warmer than any poly insulation (including the thinsulate from llbean)
#24 of 32 Old 12-13-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
Lands End makes some nice stuff for kids too - they're located in WI, where it does get cold! (Columbia is based in Oregon, and it never really gets cold here!)
I bought ds's winter coat there 1/2 price in August, and it is amazingly warm!! I'm in Montreal and it's freezing here, so I think I found a winner! I also bought his boots there (15$ in liquidation) and they are amazing. So 2 for 2 for Land's End!
ETA, this is the one I bought
#25 of 32 Old 12-13-2008, 05:23 PM

I live in MN and my son just got an LLBean coat, snowpants, boot and mitten set - very warm! He can stay out much longer and have more fun than in the Columbia snowsuit he was wearing previously.

Happy Wife & Mama to 1 boy 12/6/05
#26 of 32 Old 12-13-2008, 08:47 PM

Lands End is our current favorite, and they've been having sales on them lately.

I used to be faithful to Columbia (mine is actually a 10 year old Columbia two-piece with a fleece liner, it's held up fantastic), but with the kids Columbia, i've not been happy. Snaps have fallen off the hood easily on about four of them that we've been through (incl. the ones my sister and I hand-me-down between our kids). This year I went with LandsEnd, and I have been ecstatic about the quality. Even their fleece mittens keep the kids toasty, which hasn't been our experience usually with fleece mittens.

I would also guess that LLBean has same quality as LE.

**Also wanted to plug LE customer service. I ordered my dd's coat, and four days later it went on sale, a savings of $11.45. I emailed them and they credited me the difference.
#27 of 32 Old 12-14-2008, 02:00 AM

We've always lived in cold places and love Lands End, LL Bean and Columbia. Columbia actually has different versions of coats--the more expensive, usually the better quality. This year my 13 year old and 4 year old both have high quality Columbia coats and my 10 year old has a Lands End coat that I got a great deal on. I sometimes find good deals at Campmor.com. I got my son really great kamik boots there for a great price this year.
#28 of 32 Old 12-15-2008, 06:54 AM

we do Patagonia with the capelines (longies) they come in different weights.. from heavy weight to silk weight. but it's all about the layering too.. I figure what works for me will be prefect for dd.

we also do their fleeces.
#29 of 32 Old 12-17-2008, 03:32 PM

We love LL Bean for winter coats (here in western NY). My older son wore the same coat for three years (a bit big the first, just right the second, and a bit small the 3rd, but still fine!) and now his little brother is wearing it this year. It still has a TON of wear left in it. I could see it moving right down a whole line of kids. The first year my oldest outgrew it, I bought him a cheapy Osh Kosh coat and regretted it almost immediately; it was bulky and he outgrew it in one season. Now he's back into a LL Bean and is on his 2nd year in it. Good stuff.
(Lands End have nice coats too; for some reason we tend to prefer their lighter jackets.)
#30 of 32 Old 12-17-2008, 03:49 PM

My boys have North Face and Columbia stuff and seem to do really well with that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page