New Year 2009 for Nov05 !!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 133 Old 01-01-2009, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Old thread is here

Happy New Year, everyone. And say hello to FSM for me, spughy!

I went to bed well before midnight last night. Which is great, since we were up at 5:30 this morning. Matt is on a mad decluttering/organizing rampage, and I love it. Our house is actually messier than when he started two days ago, but I can see the possibilities...

And for me- Resolutions 09:

Get a haircut. Maybe more than one

Finish the 2007 taxes, get all of the 2008 writing receipts sorted and
entered and as much 2008 taxes done before the new baby's arrival!

Learn to use Wordpress and design a website for the community garden using it.

Learn to can (with apologies to resolutions 08). Can some summer fruits/veggies.

Print and update albums with the 2008 photos.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#2 of 133 Old 01-01-2009, 11:46 AM

Happy New Year! Sadly, last night was the worst night for sleeping in our family in a long time. We involuntarily rang in the new year with lots of strife, and I really hope our 2009 doesn't continue that way.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#3 of 133 Old 01-01-2009, 12:06 PM

Happy New Year!

My resolutions are to pay bills as far ahead as possible (I like to be about 4 weeks ahead), stay totally on top of housecleaning (I have a new system planned out), to continue my exercise/weightlifting/intermittent fasting routine aiming to get below 20% bodyfat again. I'm training to do a sprint triathlon this year, but that's to celebrate turning 30 this year, so its not really a new years resolution. I cleaned house a lot yesterday and finally got almost all the Christmas presents put away. This week I'd also like to organize my utility room and sewing room... the beginning of the year is so inspiring, isn't it?!

Poor Ellie's not feeling well. We've learned this week that if she has more than one glass of orange juice, she breaks out in hives. That happened last night, and this morning the hives are gone but she's whiny and says, "My tummy has a headache." Poor thing!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#4 of 133 Old 01-01-2009, 02:16 PM

Aw, poor Ellie! My sister got hives from oranges when she was a small child, but she grew out of it.

SeekingJoy - I'm sorry about your rough night! We got a lesson in "why 3 year olds should not stay up until 11:30" from both Rowan and FSM's little guy. They were happy happy happy happy CRASH! MELTDOWN!!! - it was actually kind of funny. But then when we got home Rowan was out in about 3 minutes, and she and DH are still asleep and I hope they stay that way for some time.

Well, my resolutions are: reduce our household waste to the absolute complete minimum, by composting absolutely everything possible (which at our place means 2 buckets, one of things chickens CAN eat and one of stuff they shouldn't but ought to be composted anyway), making a concerted effort to not buy stuff with excess packaging - and we already recycle everything possible; make at least 5 projects with my serger that I spent $200 on last year and really ought to use more; and run the big local 10K race in April.

Yesterday I cleaned out my fridge - like, REALLY cleaned out, it looks completely bare - so it's starting the new year off well, and today I'm going to do the freezer. I'm also going to get a household management binder to keep track of all our expenses and regular household maintenance (chimney sweeping, smoke detector battery changing, etc.) I pondered the idea of a cleaning schedule but I don't think that will work for me. I have been slowly getting better with it, so I think I will just resolve to continue to work on it but not set specific goals.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#5 of 133 Old 01-01-2009, 07:13 PM

I resolved not to make resolutions years ago and I've done a wonderful job keeping to that one It looks like the kids are starting to get better from their colds, but we are having to keep Joseph dosed for coughing at night or he coughs until he pukes, but doesn't wake up to do it Aside from that things are going OK and I'm starting to know what I'm doing with work stuff. I hope we all have a wonderful new year.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#6 of 133 Old 01-01-2009, 07:21 PM

Spughy, there's always chore wars.

MY resolutions are to make the commitment to my health real and permanent, eat healthier and lose this weight (that's the big and scary one), keep going with the study and get 1/4 of my degree this year (that's pretty big and scary too), learn to sew, get a folksy store up and running (like etsy, but UK based) and be a generally functioning adult. Oh, and maybe do some housework too. I get a sneaking suspicion that I might have to sleep less to pull this off but that's OK, River can help me practice that one :

Jen, that stinks about Ellie and her tummy's headache I'm wondering just how common it is for kids to have difficulty digesting fruit- Skye still won't touch enzymatic fruits or citrus in any form, and apples and pears are pretty hit and miss. When she's had smoothies then we end up covered in nappy rash, though, so it looks like she's protecting herself in some form.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#7 of 133 Old 01-02-2009, 12:36 PM

subbing- hope to catch up soon!

Happy new year, everyone!
#8 of 133 Old 01-02-2009, 12:51 PM

I finished off 2008 with a difficult day, so my only resolution is for 2009 to be better.

I know for certain I will have a cesarean birth after 4 vaginal births, including 2 homebirths. I'm blogging about it and plan to submit my story to Mothering magazine once the whole ordeal has played out. I've never read a story about a homebirth mom having a scheduled cesarean.

After Winter's gentle entrance to the world, and Suriya's slightly scary but relatively okay birth I figured I was due for another easy birth. I didn't picture this turn of events.
#9 of 133 Old 01-02-2009, 03:51 PM

Happy New Year everyone!

I, too, will catch up soon.

I hope everyone is having a great start to the year; I hope it's a blessed one for all of us, too. And that we can flow with the ups and downs with peace and grace and perspective.
#10 of 133 Old 01-02-2009, 03:54 PM

Also, a big hug for you Susannah. I'm so sorry you and Allison are going through a hard time. I hope you can work it out, and if not, that it really is for the best, and that you find a peaceful way to move on.

Also, a big hug for you, DiD. I haven't had a chance to read your story or blog, but the thought of having a cesarean after all of your vaginal births and two homebirths...must be crazy, scary, and sad. I guess this is one of those times you focus on the point of it all: to hold your healthy baby in your arms.

Thinking of you HoneyTree, as you approach the big day!!!
#11 of 133 Old 01-02-2009, 04:31 PM

Woohoo! Houseguests are gone, baby stayed IN! But I did lose my mucous plug, or part of it, as everyone was packing up to leave, which I know has limited portentous value, but it seemed like a good sign! Anyway, we're using it as an impetus to get the house back in order QUICKLY, which is always tough to do after guests anyway.

My resolution isn't necessarily a New Year's one, though the timing works out that way, but it is to make daily and long-term decisions to live simply and well on dh's salary so I don't have to go back to work.
#12 of 133 Old 01-02-2009, 05:23 PM

Well happy new year to everyone! Sorry for all of the strife and stress from those who have it. We are still germ-central here; I took Brynn to the doctor today and she has developed a double ear-infection. It's the first time she's ever had one, so her first time ever on antibiotics. Part of me is amazed she made it this long, and part of me is annoyed that we've crossed that threshold now. And part of me is starting to feel sick, too, so ... egh.

DiD, I'm really sorry to hear about your birth plans. I think it's a great idea to submit it to Mothering, but I'm pretty sure they won't accept a submission that's been blogged (or publicly available) so you might want to check on that before you post too much of it. With mine (which was accepted back in July and STILLLLLLLL hasn't been published!), I remember them asking me specifically about that. Good luck with it!

Teresa, Yay, and how exciting!!

Helen, I can't believe River (and Rue-Bee) are just about to turn one!

I didn't really make any resolutions, but I have been thinking a lot lately about how I'm steering my life. I'm reading The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People and it is incredibly thought-provoking. So I guess that's kind of resolution-y. My goal, as always, is to continue to seek balance in my life and try to avoid burn-out, especially after baby boy is born!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#13 of 133 Old 01-02-2009, 05:32 PM

Well if Mothering doesn't accept it, I'd much rather be able to blog about my experience anyway. That way I can tell it like it is and not have to edit for content.
#14 of 133 Old 01-02-2009, 08:55 PM

Juno might take it, or you could try Hipmama They might well be interested. I'm sure Angela Horn would be very happy to link to you from the HBUK site as well.

I was born by elective c-section, and I am astounded by my mothers bravery- that she chose to let someone hurt her to bring me into the world safely. It's a pretty big gift. You're so much in my thoughts right now, my love

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#15 of 133 Old 01-04-2009, 03:10 PM

Happy New Year, all!

Subbing, and bumping, and sending hugs to DiD, Brynn, Ellie, and any other sickies, and healthy good birthing vibes to HoneyTree!
And Happy First Birthday to River and Rue-bee!

Sharon FF/Medic DH 3 DD's 2/98, 4/01, 11/05
~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#16 of 133 Old 01-04-2009, 11:12 PM

Thanks Sharon! Brynn is feeling much better. Amazing, those antibiotics. Although I did realize today that they are really ripping up her tummy and I'd totally forgotten to give her some probiotics as well. : I feel really bad - but she's not really complaining about it, and she's feeling *much* better, thank goodness.

I start my new job tomorrow!! Eeeeep!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#17 of 133 Old 01-05-2009, 12:22 AM

Amy, good luck tomorrow! Glad Brynn is feeling better. I just took DS to the doc (an MDC momma, to boot) and we are safe to wait on the antibiotics for now. Being sick is so tough for little ones.

Tomorrow will be our first "normal" day after vacation and family visits. Hope I am up for it.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#18 of 133 Old 01-05-2009, 12:26 AM

Tomorrow is our first "normal" day, too, and I have to admit I'm a bit relieved to be getting back to our normal schedule! The kids are looking forward to going back to school and seeing their friends, and I'm looking forward to getting back to work and the chance to have nice long gym workouts (the last couple weeks I've felt rushed to get back home and relieve DH so he could get back to work). Amy, good luck with the new job!

I guess its just the time of year for kiddos to be sick - I hope everyone is feeling better! Ellie bounced back pretty easy from her issues, and we've decided not to buy any more orange juice. We so rarely buy it anyway, we'd just gotten it for mimosas on Christmas morning...

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#19 of 133 Old 01-05-2009, 12:38 AM

Ah, normal. How I miss it. We leave on Friday for our trip up to visit my mom and my sisters, so our week will be far from normal. But the week after the week after next week, we can be normal. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm making Rowan some very fuzzy fleece pajamas and I am covered in purple fluff. And that is the extent of MY news.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#20 of 133 Old 01-05-2009, 01:38 PM

We're back to normal here, too, aside from being on what amounts to extended vacation while waiting for the baby. But it feels lovely after weeks of so many obligations.

I have a mixed relationship with citrus. It's an important local food for us, and right now it's in season with the farmers' markets bursting with tangy, sweet juice oranges and satsumas. So despite having just gotten over our colds, we do eat or drink citrus probably once a day. I'm reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle right now, though, which makes an interesting case for working with whatever the farmers in your area have and trusting that, with a little adjusting here and there, you'll get the nutrients your body needs.
#21 of 133 Old 01-05-2009, 03:48 PM

Hah, it's a totally unlocal food for us and you know what? I have 2 kilos of organic non-air freighted citrus sitting in my kitchen right now, along with the imported bananas. I feel like such a rebel, but the blood oranges on the pancakes tastes SOOO good. Right now the farmers in my area mostly have chard Our veg box this week was absolutely, exceptionally stupendously beautiful (to clarify, it was all local apart from some italian peppers and my spendy imported fruit) and I want to eat it all RIGHT NOW. I think eating local is important, but Isaac has committed to walking to school instead of bussing if that means he can have clementines when they're in season, and that's a good thing.

You know the most exciting thing ever? It SNOWED!!!!!!! Only half an inch, but it was enough to make footprints and snow angels. I have some new sheepskin boots as well, and my feet are exceptionally, seductively dry and warm. Everyone should have a pair.

I'm glad all the sick kids are feeling better, and glad I'm not the only one who was counting the days until the start of term Skye doesn't go back until Wednesday, but that's OK. I hope your day went OK, Amy.

#22 of 133 Old 01-05-2009, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the love, mamas. I am in a strange limbo right now and just feeling ::: about it all. Trying not to though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyTree View Post
I'm reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle right now, though, which makes an interesting case for working with whatever the farmers in your area have and trusting that, with a little adjusting here and there, you'll get the nutrients your body needs.
I finished reading AVM a couple of months ago and loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
You know the most exciting thing ever? It SNOWED!!!!!!! Only half an inch, but it was enough to make footprints and snow angels. I have some new sheepskin boots as well, and my feet are exceptionally, seductively dry and warm. Everyone should have a pair.
We got some snow last night - less than you did it sounds like, but it was beautiful. I can handle it in these amounts!

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#23 of 133 Old 01-05-2009, 08:28 PM

Susannah, your siggie picture is lovely! I had to laugh--we're letting Woody's hair grow out (again--it grows super fast), and he's forever holding it up/back/away, too! How did I miss you becoming a moderator??! Congrats! Fun forums, too.
#24 of 133 Old 01-06-2009, 04:32 PM

Thanks, I love the pic too! We have not cut his hair yet and I think we are getting close to doing that. It is a strangely emotional thing for me, and I really would not have expected that.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#25 of 133 Old 01-08-2009, 01:34 AM

Hey mamas...popping back in. Haven't been able to find a lot of online time lately. Just wanted to say Hi and that I am reading!

Susannah: that IS a beautiful pic of your LO! We cut DS's hair after he turned 2. It was actually less emotional than I thought it would be...but if his hair had gotten as long as your DS's hair is, I imagine that it would be much harder!

Helen: I LOVE Isaac's commitment to clementines!

As for us, we are back in "normal" for the most part, but we are going to fly to DH's grandmother's house this weekend for a family/Christmas celebration. It will be most-likely exhausting, but I think that DS will LOVE it because we will be taking the metro train to the airport and then flying to northern Iowa. A TRAIN and an AIRPLANE in the same day. And the best part is that we get to do it all again on Sunday! He will love it! (Wish me luck keeping everything together though...flying with a 3-yr-old and a baby!)
#26 of 133 Old 01-08-2009, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

lovetobemama~ Enjoy your trip!

I'm coming out of a little funk here, which seems to correspond with the snow melting. It was beautiful, but three weeks of dangerous side streets cumulated in feeling very cooped up and trying very hard to rationalize with myself how it didn't make sense to be so depressed about the weather which I have *no* control over (despite my efforts at pleading with the universe). It's nice to be able to get to work, to home visits, and even occasionally to the grocery store without huge amounts of planning and stress.

Now that it's raining and the city is slush-filled Neela hasn't quite had the time outside that she should, so her sleep has been less than ideal the last couple nights. This morning she woke me up to talk about cats and swimming at 3 am (and asked to get up for the day!), but luckily fell asleep until after 5:30 again. I can deal with conversations about whether cats use toilets and swimming pools much better after 5 am

#27 of 133 Old 01-08-2009, 10:55 PM

hi mamas! since i got into this thread early i thought id pop in and say hi. i just read every post! a first in a while! im impressed with all of your new years resolutions.. since im bad at keeping resolutions mine was "be true to myself" that is easier for me than a specific thing. so far my new year has been amazing. things are really falling into place for me. my manifesting skills seem to have reached a record..for instance manifesting my rent to lower when my sister moves(which i also manifested!!) this week. my landlady agreed to lower it from $900 a month to 650$:i almost peed my pants!
things with tim are amazing. the kids are happy and settled and content. not fighting nearly as much, and eating better than ever (elwynn) sleep is fairly good, although ngaio is claiming to be having some bad dreams, so ive been using flower remedies which seem to be doing a great job. i have my own room (with rue to sleep) and soon ngaio and elwynn will have their own too (hey share till my sister moves) and my house is rad and my friends and neighbors are great. im loving te snow, my snowshoes arrived yesterday after weeks of waiting and are SO MUCH FUN!

life is good!

honeytree: im thinking of you!!

citrus is not a food ngaio eats at all. in fact she is in the habit of asking if "does it has oranges in it?im lergik" at first it caused bad eczema.. now she gets very itchy, especially on her forearms (which is where i manifest food sensitivities) and behind her knees.. as a child i couldn't eat citrus much either. especially anything concentrated. i got migraines and night terrors.. not fun!

thanks for the birthday wishes for rue. her birthday isnt til january 24th though! its pretty exciting. my baby. 1! *sigh* i need another one before too long! i have a baby circling my head already (banyan..did i tell you about him?) and its friggin hard to resist! *hit me now* but its one of those certain things. maybe after him ill be really done with babies. prolly not though.

mel & sarah, new years fun!! im jealous! i wish i lived on the coast some days, but not really. maybe a summer reunion is in order!

helen, i must know more about your boots. im intrigued.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#28 of 133 Old 01-09-2009, 07:20 AM

Fern, they're these babies : Skye has a pair in pink as well, but they go higher up her legs and they cost more than mine. I can't believe you're thinking about another baby. Saying that, I ended up removing my IUD at the weekend (long story) so unless Steve changes his mind on the vasectomy we're back to relying on FAM.

Oh, I'd welcome any condom brand recommendations from anyone btw. We've got two sampler packs and some lambskin on order.

Mel I'm glad you're doing better, and sorry I didn't see this before. So DO cats swim in the toilet then?

#29 of 133 Old 01-09-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Fern, they're these babies : Skye has a pair in pink as well, but they go higher up her legs and they cost more than mine. I can't believe you're thinking about another baby. Saying that, I ended up removing my IUD at the weekend (long story) so unless Steve changes his mind on the vasectomy we're back to relying on FAM.
oOh. those Do look comfy! are they very good in the snow?

long story? tell the story lady!
tim says No on the vasectomy issue to. funnily enough he is the one who brings up more babies way more often than i. he calls rue "cute with cute sauce" and al sorts of other names. and always says "good work fern." in a silly playful way. he thinks rue is our cutest so far he lves this baby age..but i think the older kids are harder for him to manage.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#30 of 133 Old 01-10-2009, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

I want to know about the IUD, too, Helen (just because I'm considering a copper IUD for after this baby- FAM only sounds good to me when I'm not ovulating). Matt has been talking about a vasectomy, but has some nerves about it.

Most of the cats I know don't like swimming much. And they don't use the toilet, either, though it's not unheard of

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page