Sept 04 Mamas: New Thread for a New Year! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 136 Old 03-19-2009, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jilly -- Sigh. Both of those issues sound so frustrating (the funeral reception and the questioning of the nurse). You are not a bad mom for gathering info about your son and coming to a realization about something very complicated. It takes a LONG time to figure these things out, and in a way that's a good thing. Often if we jump to conclusions they are incorrect. I admire you for looking at a lot of different aspects of his personality/body and trying to figure out what's going on.

And as for the funeral. Well, hippie clothes or not, you sound like the most "normal" one there.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#62 of 136 Old 03-19-2009, 02:52 AM

Boy, have we been loving the great weather lately! It's amazing what a bit of sunshine does for the soul. I've been able to go out walking my dog pretty often and with regular workouts at Taekwondo I feel strong and healthy. In 2 weeks I will be testing for my next belt and I'm excited about that. I get to break a board with my feet doing specific kicks. Good stuff!

Recently my children have started going to sleep without me in bed with them. They snuggle up together in a double bed and fall asleep together... it's weird. I had to be firm and calm to make it happen, but now it's going so smoothly I can barely believe it! We had been talking about bunk beds, but I realized I wasn't prepared to enforce them going to sleep without me. I did some soul searching and came to the conclusion I was ready to experiment with some different sleeping arrangements and found this worked. I am still hesitant to leave them sleeping together all night without a parent and so we split them up when Jerome is home and ready for bed.... so it's a work in progress, but progress is progress!

Speaking of Jerome being home... gotta go snuggle my hubby!

love to all

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#63 of 136 Old 03-19-2009, 01:11 PM

just poking head in to say hi. T turned 4.5 yesterday. He'll be 'graduating' from his immersion school after summer. Hard to believe. We've been alerted that T may qualify maturity-wise for 2 years of kindergarten @ his Waldorf school. Would be nice, don't know if we can afford it.

Off to go get ready to pick him up. More later...

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#64 of 136 Old 03-20-2009, 12:35 AM

Jilly - that sounds infuriating. So she expected you to self-diagnose something she didn't even KNOW about? what a moron. Certainly you aren't a bad mother. And it's not like SPD symptoms are clear and any parent would spot them. I have a student that I "diagnosed" with SPD last year (he's in my class this year also) and his parents, who are incredibly tuned in to him in every way, just thought it was his personality. Because of him, and another child I have this year who seems to have some SP issues, I recently went to a fantastic workshop on SID/SPD - I'm going to type up notes from it (symtoms and simple OT strategies to help kids with SID). I'd be happy to pass it on if you are interested.

Really, it's too much to expect him to sit for 20+ minutes, and coloring with coloring pages, frankly, is lazy preschool teaching (sorry, that's harsh, I'm snobby ). Much better to give him a variety of materials (at least from day-to-day if not all at once) and blank pages, so he can experiement and explore to figure out what he likes. Particularly if he's dealing with SPD, this isn't going to set him up to succeed. He is going to need guidance to figure out those social coping skills - how to set limits with other kids, how to enter their play. Maybe you guys could role play at home, and you could help him develop strategies for on the playground. Don't be scared to ask the teacher to help him navigate these social situations - that's her job!

Eli turns two on Monday, and I swear he's seeming a bit older all the sudden. Not quite big-kid, but a little less babyish. Robin also is seeming a bit more grown up. I'm starting to believe she really will be ready for kindergarten in the fall.
#65 of 136 Old 03-25-2009, 03:28 PM

Oh Jilly, People just do not have any sensitivity. If they walked a mile in your shoes.... they'd know better!! Parenting is hard, hard work- we all just do the very best we can. And I actually think you have to be really really in touch with your kiddo to have even requested the testing now; 4 is pretty early, really.

I am where you are- my second child has made me realized my first is not exactly normal or easy. Wish we could get together and let them play, Jilly! Mainly for our sake.

I read 'the spirited child' and it turns out I am already using a lot of those techniques. I could do more- but I draw the line at trying to anticipate my childs behavior and change the environment around her so she doesn't flip out. : My mother thinks we should but I am not making a special set of rules for Cecilia. She still has to live in the real world, for crying out loud!!!

But my mother is too indulgent with everyone, anyway. She is a fantastic martyr. I have considered selling her on ebay as of late! The honeymoon is over and I am seriously questioning our decision to make my mother part of our 'forever' arrangement.

I cope by leaving the children with her so I can go to town and the Y by myself. That reminds me of the big + in the situation- I can get away when I'd like to and the kids are with someone who adores them.

We are still waiting for some decent weather here- 'cmon spring!!! That will help, a lot.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#66 of 136 Old 04-04-2009, 03:16 PM

hey there!

We recently celebrated Mielle's half birthday, at her school and I was surprised at how emotional I got about it. I was asked to send photos of her and statements about what she learned each year... I spontaneously overachieved and sent her with a darling little scrapbook that brought tears to my eyes. she was so proud of herself and excited about the whole thing... snif.
We attended a birthday party this morning that was mostly all boys and I was noticing again that Mielle's social skills are weird. she seems to connect with and identify with the adults much more than the children... the kids are too loud, wild and... aren't paying attention to her, because she's not joining their games. She clings to my leg and watches the children play... i have to shake her off and push her into joining the group. Once she decides to join, she's fine... i wonder if my presence keeps her from adapting more quickly? She just simply likes quieter activities, and smaller groups and isn't interested in running around screaming and crashing into bigger, louder kids... neither do I, so why does it seem like I should encourage her to join in play that I don't enjoy? She did have fun at the party, but in her own way, at her own pace, in her own time. I just wonder if she would have been quicker to join, if I hadn't stayed...

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#67 of 136 Old 04-05-2009, 09:49 AM

Hello, all!

Well, spring is in the air around here! We can actually see some grass between the snow, the motorcycle is out and about and the sandbox is cleared of snow. It would be outside all day weather if Aaron didn't keep getting stuck in the snow in the back yard!

Meg, I am amazed that you are living with your mother. I could never do it -- I am so bad with having other women in the house. That's probably why I have all boys. Hope things are evening out a bit. How's that baby cooking?

As for the Spirited Child, I see the point of understanding your child's temperment as being to help them learn techniques to live in the world with their unique personality traits. We adjust some things for Andrew, but mostly we just work the things he needs into the things we need to do. I do sometimes stay home more than I would like so he can have the calm time he needs to do well when we are out, but other than that we just work on preparing him well and teaching him to deal with the outside world and his own tendencies.

Anna - I often think it is strange that we all interact differently and enjoy different activities, but then we expect kids to be so homogenous. One of the ironies of living in such a test and chart driven society, I think.

Well, we have got Andrew referred to an Occupational Therapist to test for Sensory Processing Disorder. Of course, the day we went he was totally mellow and focused and charming. But she said that based on the checklist we filled out she was surprised because his scores were really high for hypersensitivity. So she is going to go and observe him at playschool, which is where he's having trouble right now.

And in other news I'm pregnant again! I wanted to have another baby fairly close to these two, because I am 33, so I feel like the clock is ticking a little bit, and Dave is thinking of going back to school for his PhD soon, which will mean I would have to go back to work or he would have to get really great funding, so its kind of now or never. I'm feeling much more strong and centered this time around, so hopefully all will go well.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#68 of 136 Old 04-05-2009, 11:03 AM

Congrats, Jilly! Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy.

Anna - my friend's daughter is the exact same way, and whenever a gang of boys get together to play in the neighborhood, the odd girls out (there are substantially fewer girls in the neighborhood) really hang back and can't quite figure out how to play with the boys. When T plays with my friend's daughter it takes them a while to figure out how to play together, and it usually ends up being chase in circles through the kitchen and the living room. Oddly enough, my friend's daughter loves to play cars and tools and legos, so they end up in sync with those toys.

One of my silver hairs just fell out. It's surprisingly pretty.

#69 of 136 Old 04-09-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana girl View Post
hey there!

We recently celebrated Mielle's half birthday, at her school and I was surprised at how emotional I got about it. I was asked to send photos of her and statements about what she learned each year... I spontaneously overachieved and sent her with a darling little scrapbook that brought tears to my eyes. she was so proud of herself and excited about the whole thing... snif.
That is so sweet!! Brought a smile to my face.

Ceci is a watcher also. But so am I, so it doesn't surprise me. I LOVE all the stories of outgoing Robin, b/c I have come to accept that my kids will never be like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly View Post
Hello, all!

And in other news I'm pregnant again! I wanted to have another baby fairly close to these two, because I am 33, so I feel like the clock is ticking a little bit, and Dave is thinking of going back to school for his PhD soon, which will mean I would have to go back to work or he would have to get really great funding, so its kind of now or never. I'm feeling much more strong and centered this time around, so hopefully all will go well.
:: Fingers crossed for you. I'm a clock watcher also.

I am interested in hearing how Andrews observation goes... I am glad you could get him in to be tested!

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#70 of 136 Old 04-16-2009, 10:35 AM

Hey all!
Congrats Jilly!! That's awesome, and I'm hoping for a healthy, sticky baby for you guys! I'm glad you were able to get the eval set up for Andrew so quickly - let us know what she finds. I'm sure she'll give you some good strategies.

Meg - I hear you on the mixed blessing of a mother. My mom, mostly a pain, but Clint's mom comes to town to helpus fairly often now that I'm in school - probably once a month or so. And I love her for it and am so grateful...but she kinda makes me nuts too. The other day I caught her looking above the refridgerator (moving boxes to open the cabinets) to find trash bags. Who in the WORLD keeps trash bags above the fridge, in a cabinet blocked by boxes? It just drove me nuts that she was wasting energy on crazy pursuits, when I was in the next room and she could just *ask* me where the bags were. It seems really small, but she can really be a space case.

We had spring break last week (the kids from preschool, me from work - but I still had class). The first weekend, Clint and I drove to a friend's wedding in Little Rock. We left Robin with my mom for too long (thurs-tues) and Eli with MIL for the same time. It was fun and a needed break for Clint and I to actually spend time together without just passing each other on the way in/out the door. But I really missed the kids. Really, rreally missed them. Robin came back whining, fussing, and a real pain, and I had to force myself to remember she was letting it all out b/c she felt safe, was punishingme b/c she missed me, etc - and not just being a total brat. She's pretty much back to her usual self.

Robin is still pretty outgoing, but she has more reserved moments now than she used to. I guess it's just growing up - like at a birthday party the other week that was a "drop off" party - with all kids she knows and likes - she didn't want me to leave her. She was convinced she would feel shy. After a few minutes she was fine and I left, but it was funny to see other kids who I know have always been less outgoing than Robin have no trouble with their parents dropping them off. Now she is at my coop preschool, but she is there m-f and i'm only there m/w/f. When I see her on the playground, she often clings to me, or is sad and says other kids won't play with her,etc. Not every day, but often enough that I get concerned. But her teacher says on those days she is fine and playing great until she sees me. I guess I have to chalk it up to me being in school and her not seeing me enough.

Eli is probably going to put her to shame. He's oh so very bold. When ever we're in a situation where I usually say good bye to him (driving near the Waldorf school where we meet his sitter on my work days, or clint comes home in the afternoon), he says "Bye mama! Hug! Kiss!" Makes me feel so essential. ..
#71 of 136 Old 04-17-2009, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats, Jilly!!

Popping in to say hi, it's been a while. It's my birthday today, I'm 33. And today was probably the hardest day I've had in months! Just such a stresful day with the kids, I was yelling way too much, and I almost never do that lately. My patience has worn thin with Anna, who was a darling, sweet two year old and now at almost 3 is a crazy child, whining all the time, and apparently thinks No means Yes. She also is starting to scream when she doesn't get her way, or when she is told No. Ai ai ai. Sigh.

Anyway, Thor is a complete Darling and seems so grown up. He wore my wedding dress the other day and I thought he was going to burst from the big smile he had on his face.

#72 of 136 Old 04-21-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM View Post

Anyway, Thor is a complete Darling and seems so grown up. He wore my wedding dress the other day and I thought he was going to burst from the big smile he had on his face.

That is so cute! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I was 32 last month. Egads.

As I told my midwife.... 'if I had the body from when I was 20 combined with the confidence I have at 32- I would have worn a lot less clothing!' I know, strange statement, but I am so much more content with *me* in my 30's, even though I am well, older and starting to look slightly weathered. Oh well.

Becca; hugs to Robin!! Sounds like she is just very aware of how busy everyone is.

Hey guess what? It sounds like we will be spending the winter in LA, if not the next two years. The reality of it is sort of starting to set in (kind of a bummer, since we'll also be just finishing our lovely new addition) but I HATED last winter so I will do anything.

#73 of 136 Old 04-22-2009, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, LA! Why? That will be an interesting, fun change!

So I have this friend on facebook who has twins and keeps constantly posting about how she "loves CIO!". Oh my. I don't know why it's been ruffling my feathers so much. Normally I don't care about that and don't really judge people anymore, especially someone with twin 8 month olds, but this is bothering me. I think it's the gleefulness of her statements, and then all the comments below that are like, "Good for you! Yay!"

Ugh.

#74 of 136 Old 04-23-2009, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Subbing...

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#75 of 136 Old 04-25-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM View Post
Wow, LA! Why? That will be an interesting, fun change!

So I have this friend on facebook who has twins and keeps constantly posting about how she "loves CIO!". Oh my. I don't know why it's been ruffling my feathers so much. Normally I don't care about that and don't really judge people anymore, especially someone with twin 8 month olds, but this is bothering me. I think it's the gleefulness of her statements, and then all the comments below that are like, "Good for you! Yay!"

Ugh.
Well, it looks like the company Greg works for doing the rigging is looking at getting into the CA market; we would be there to do the first several big jobs as well as find and train a team there. Greg says 'if they make it right for our family, we'll go, if not, forget it.' Which means we'd need to be well compensated since Greg is a total homebody.

I think the timing is great (nobody is in school yet) and I'd love to live elsewhere temporarily.

I hear you on the CIO. Yuck.

I have a lovely hairdresser who is expecting her first- she is so naive and so excited. We are due at the same time. Of course she is doing all the norm stuff with pregnancy and birth. I just smiled.... but my doula gets her hair cut there (omg- 'I am giving her BOOKS on natural birth!') and my mom does also ('working is no excuse to not nurse, I told her!'). Oh and last time Greg was there he said 'Megan doesn't use drugs.... and I think she enjoys birth; it's not painful for her.' Still, I see OB induction-happy driven labor followed by a baby living in a bucket by the way she talks. Eh, not my choices but I suppose it doesn't mean they will love their child less.

#76 of 136 Old 04-25-2009, 09:41 AM

Augs -- happy very belated birthday! Sounds like Thor is adorable. I think 4 1/2 is so funny. They come up with the craziest things.

as for the CIO -- what drives me crazy is when someone goes on about something like that, or goes on about how they were too engorged and uncomfortable at day 2 of nursing so they had to stop, everyone is always SO supportive and when someone finds out you use cloth diapers or co-sleep they are like, "Oh. How's that working for you?" (suggesting that it must NOT be working because its so "hard"). OR when people go on about how its actually harder on you to let them CIO . . .

Meg -- that would be a fun change for the winter! as for your hairdresser, I think its funny when people who haven't had a baby yet have everything so well worked out. Until about a month after they've HAD the baby . . .

Becca -- sounds like Robin is just feeling the busy-ness. But also, I think this is just a bit of a more inward focused age. Andrew really just likes being at home these days. I think they're a bit more aware of the need to fit in socially and are trying to see where they do fit into the larger groups around them.

Well, we've went to two out of three experts so far. The Occupational Therapist said that by the Sensory Profile survey that I filled out (and got Dave to double check to make sure I wasn't exaggerating) he is definitely experiencing the world at a more intense level than most people. But when she met him (in her quiet, organized office with me there) she didn't really see many signs of it. I told her that we have things pretty well in hand at home, its mostly at school and in large groups that he's struggling. So she observed him at school and I think she saw things a bit more clearly after that. But she hasn't said much to me, becuase Andrew's not the kind of kid you can talk about in his presence. So he's had a few sessions of therapy mostly working on his upper body strength and tripod grasp, and now that she's seen him at school she's starting to integrate some other things, too.

The Physical Therapist thought he was hilarious, and was amazed at how well he would distract her from noticing when he couldn't do something or didn't want to do it. She said she thinks he has low muscle tone in his core, which results in a lot of his dressing problems and leaning on everyone and falling off chairs, and being hesitant in play situations. He doesn't have the core strength to balance correctly, so things are quite difficult for him. She is only in town once a month, so we are going in to start therapy next month. In the mean time I"m supposed to encourage him to stand on one foot, climb, hop and sit with his legs forward. I think I"m going to see if I can get him to do some yoga with me, too.

The OT referred Andrew back to the Psychologist for an assesment because of his perfectionism ( he would deny he could do something and stall and refuse to do it, only to do it almost perfectly when she convinced him to try), so we'll see what she finds. She also deals with all the Early Childhood issues in the whole health region, so I don't know how long it will be before we get to see her.

I tell you, its at times like this I"m glad to live in such a socialist province (health care is different in every province in Canada) -- we can get up to ten sessions of therapy for free, and there's a real focus on early intervention, so things have been going pretty fast.

Andrew is really wanting to stay at home a lot lately. He just wants to stay home and tell stories to himself and make Aaron do his bidding. "No, Aaron! THIS is the galleon now. Not that." He is very slowly learning to accept it when Aaron tries to add in to their pretend play, but usually Andrew has a specific plan in mind and he will play by himself rather than let anyone else interrupt what he has in mind. But these days its all pirates and knights and superheros and wars. I don't know if we've listened to too much news or read him too many bible stories or he's just heard too much about death this winter or what, but he has such a violent imagination. Everything is always burning down and being blown up and he's always lining up all his cars and men to make teams and create these complicated scenarios of who shoots who and who steals what . . . you would think he does nothing but watch violent movies. It try not to let it disturb me, and I have started turning off the radio news when they talk about wars and we've taken away his more sophisticated bible story books.

And I'm still pregnant, which is good. 9 1/2 weeks down, 3 more high risk weeks to go. And my doctor is still on vacation . . . ah well, what is he going to do anyway?

Well, thanks for reading my novel, ladies.

#77 of 136 Old 04-28-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
And I'm still pregnant, which is good. 9 1/2 weeks down, 3 more high risk weeks to go. And my doctor is still on vacation . . . ah well, what is he going to do anyway?
:: Fingers crossed.... The worst (best?!) thing about pregnant women is they think everyone else should be enjoying the experience with them. I am really starting to get the 'ANOTHER baby?!' comment from people. But mostly our friends who don't live here. MN (central, catholic roots MN) is pretty family-friendly.

I am showing!! But still trying to hide it. I have also developed a taste for designer maternity jeans- so much more flattering and so much more $$! That's why I have to sit in this office all morning and 'work.'

Greg and I agree that we are maybe at our 'nicest ever' part of our relationship and life together- isn't that amazing?! I guess we've finally figured out how to work together. His friends/brothers are all starting to mope about the 'good ole days' and Greg says 'these ARE my best days!' He stopped taking Lexapro about a year ago, but maybe he is using something else?!!

#78 of 136 Old 04-30-2009, 12:05 AM

since when is 3 a big family? I'm from a family of 5, my sister has 6 kids, and my mom was from a family of 9. THATS a big family (can you tell we're Irish?)

Meg -- so glad you guys are in a good place right now. I love it when you feel like you've sort of got your marriage sorted. It makes life so much less complicated.

I had the best few days. Yesterday at the grocery store, Andrew ran into one of his friends from playschool. It was funny because I was shopping, and we went by another mom with her son walking next to her cart talking a mile a minute and I thought, "So glad I'm not the only one." And it was Andrew's little friend from playschool! Andrew hadn't gone to school because they were swimming and he didn't feel comfortable going, so his friend wanted to know why he wasn't there. I mentioned the noise thing to his friend's mom, and she made the best comment ever. She just shrugged and said, "He's young. They grow out of it." So nice to find someone who doesn't think your child's every oddity is a major concern.

Then today at the park an older boy he doesn't know showed up with a bubble gun, and he went and asked the boy if he could see it. The boy was super friendly and showed him the gun, and let him try it, and they ended up playing at the park (with Aaron, too) for close to an hour. I was so proud of him.

And he was actually using his proper grasp to hold his crayon during the craft at playgroup today, and trying to color instead of scribble.

Little things, I know, but it gives me hope that we're heading in the right direction.

#79 of 136 Old 05-01-2009, 01:59 AM

I can't believe how long it has been since I checked in here at MDC. I miss you guys!
All is well with us, or mostly so anyway. It's so great to have better weather in which we can play outside. The kids have spent a lot of time in the sand box in the back yard. I am homesick for the farm... normal behavior for me in the spring. I miss the gardens, the tire swing, the stuff that makes that place home for me. Our housing situation in town is overcrowded and seriously cluttered... it's making me crazy living with our current roommates. We haven't lived alone (without roommates) since Mielle was first born. I am feeling really ready for the privacy again.
I really should go get some sleep, I have to work in the morning... I've gotten a part time job in a local greenhouse, happily getting dirt under my nails. I love coming home dirty, tired and eager to see my kids.
good night

#80 of 136 Old 05-10-2009, 04:07 PM

Happy Mother's Day to All!!! :::

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#81 of 136 Old 05-11-2009, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hope everyone had a fabulous Mother's Day! It's been a pretty nice one here. So much fun to get cards from the big boys that they picked out themselves, and Iain drew pictures inside for me. How did our Sept '04 babies get SO big?!

Is anyone else starting K in the Fall? I'm planning our curriculum... Homeschooling certainly makes it easier! Iain's an early one on 9/5, but would miss the cut offs here for any other school (my mom's private school might let him in, but it's a long way and so much money). I think he's going to do well, though he's SO shy sometimes! I hope we can balance having him comfortable at home with getting him into new situations to stretch and grow.

Here are a couple of recent pics of Iain, who played his first season of teeball this Spring (it just ended). He had a great time! These are from his first game in March:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d&id=783248080
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...0&id=783248080
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...2&id=783248080

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#82 of 136 Old 05-11-2009, 01:12 PM

Heather what a cutie!!! I can't believe how big the 'babies' are. They are fun.

Okay, I have a question. What is everyone doing for carseats at this stage? I hoped to get Ceci to age 5 in her marathon, but for a girl wearing 6/7 clothing, that just appears to not be happening. She is so tall. She might fit in that seat 9the marathon) for about two more weeks. But she's only 38 lbs, and still likes to sleep a lot in her seat, so I'd hoped to keep her harnessed at least until she is 5.

I just broke down and bought the Graco Nautilus (harness & booster seat) in this awful pink color.

Have you already moved kiddos to boosters? I'm sure some of our kiddos are mature enough, and Ceci is close, she uses the Cargo in booster mode for our backup seat, but the freakish mother in me still loves tying her into a 5 point. As I explained to my dh- this is the version of 'crate training' I have done for the kids. They are happy in their seats.

What are you using, how tall are your sept babies now and what do they weight?! Just wonderin'.... Meg

#83 of 136 Old 05-14-2009, 03:46 PM

Mielle asked me to wish you all a good mothers day with no "whimpy whining". and "Happy Holidays!"
Jasper is weilding a sword while wearing a diaper and boots.... his toy snake is taking quite the beating.
Draco is following me around and laying at my feet, I so tired of tripping over the big lug.
hubby is gone at work, like ALWAYS...

And I'm kinda blue... have been for week or so. Just feeling kinda dissatisfied with life in general, seems like I can't catch up and am frustrated with the time I spend with my kids. Finding them, infuriating and tiresome. Starting to wonder if I've got mono or something, just so sleepy all the time!

My roomates are moving out. They are buying their first home and I can't decide if I'm sad to see them go, super eager for the space they take up, scared about the full costs of living here without them, or just plain jealous they get a new house.... very confusing bunch of feelings.

#84 of 136 Old 05-16-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana girl View Post
Mielle asked me to wish you all a good mothers day with no "whimpy whining". and "Happy Holidays!"
Jasper is weilding a sword while wearing a diaper and boots.... his toy snake is taking quite the beating.
Draco is following me around and laying at my feet, I so tired of tripping over the big lug.
hubby is gone at work, like ALWAYS...

And I'm kinda blue... have been for week or so. Just feeling kinda dissatisfied with life in general, seems like I can't catch up and am frustrated with the time I spend with my kids. Finding them, infuriating and tiresome. Starting to wonder if I've got mono or something, just so sleepy all the time!
Hey, this is me!!! Alone, on a island (guess I could try leaving the house, but the kids are sick and AWFUL!) while dh is in NY for the rest of the month and my mom is in Denver.... and THE DOG! My beloved dog is 13 and it's time for him to go. Greg is having a hard time dealing with it, so he's still around; underfoot, panting, miserable and requiring my assistance up and down stairs. Did I mention he's a 100 lb rottweiler?!

I have those usual restless pregnancy/spring/omg THIS is what I'm doing with my life feelings... I know those will pass but this morning my FIL went back to the hospital for a 2nd operation. He is down to 128 pounds and we are really starting to worry. It makes me cry my eyes out for my MIL, just 'cause I'm hormonal, pregnant and did I mention alone?!!

Cmon over here anna, we can let the kids raise themselves while we have a pity party in our pj's. I think our outlook on life might improve if we got a day over 50 degrees without a gale force wind.

Sorry guys, back to the happy parenting stuff now. No need to respond, I'm just whining safely here on the 'puter.

#85 of 136 Old 05-17-2009, 10:31 PM

Carseats: we have 2 Britax boosters in the basement, in boxes...but Robin's still in her carseat. i think the days are numbered, though. We switched her to Evenflo Titans, which go to 47" and 50 pounds. She's technically at 32 pounds and 42" - But she's asking when she's going to move into the booster. I'm hoping we'll make it until she turns 5, then it can be a birthday event.

Anna - hugs to you, mama.
#86 of 136 Old 05-20-2009, 08:10 PM

We've had Andrew in the booster seat since last summer. I think he was an inch too short and four pounds too small, but he was really having trouble fitting into our other seat. Now that he's used to it, he can sleep in it -- sometimes he sleeps fine and sometimes I have to prop his head up with pillows. It depends on the situation and how deeply he's sleeping.

So Andrew's playschool teacher suggested that I hold him back for a year from kindergarten. She says she thinks he's too anxious, and is worried he won't be ready for grade one in a year and a half from now and will miss foundational stuff like early math and reading. But we're reading him encyclopedias and non fiction books that are meant for 8 and 9 year olds, and he's starting to read a bit, so I don't know how he would not be angry and bored if I held him back a year. One of my friends who teacher him Sunday School says she thinks he will actually do better in grade one when there is less going on than there is at playschool or in kindergarten, and he won't have so many different things going on. I'm going to talk to the Occupational Therapist about it, who has also observed him at school, and ask my doctor to make an appointment with a child psycholigist in the closest biggish city who I have heard is really good. The one here has yet to even call back to make an appointment.

This is really getting so frustrating and confusing. Why couldn't I just have a normal child who was middle of the road and descent at getting along with other kids and could just go to school like a regular kid? Dave thinks its all because I'm not strict enough. I think Andrew's just one of those kids who appears in every single one of my siblings' families who is just difficult and smart and stubborn and independent minded and controlling (I know there are lots of nicer words, but I can't think of any of them right now) and takes a LOT of work to shape into a decent human being. I don't know. Maybe the too much noise thing is all just a convenient excuse to do what he wants instead of what the teacher wants. I guess this is why we need to see someone who knows more about children than I do.

Okay. Complaint done. I am now breathing deeply and returning to breaking up fights between my unruly children.

#87 of 136 Old 05-22-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:

This is really getting so frustrating and confusing. Why couldn't I just have a normal child who was middle of the road and descent at getting along with other kids and could just go to school like a regular kid? Dave thinks its all because I'm not strict enough. I think Andrew's just one of those kids who appears in every single one of my siblings' families who is just difficult and smart and stubborn and independent minded and controlling (I know there are lots of nicer words, but I can't think of any of them right now) and takes a LOT of work to shape into a decent human being. I don't know. Maybe the too much noise thing is all just a convenient excuse to do what he wants instead of what the teacher wants. I guess this is why we need to see someone who knows more about children than I do.

Okay. Complaint done. I am now breathing deeply and returning to breaking up fights between my unruly children.
Aw, it sounds tough. I guess I'd approach the situation just like you are; look for help and hope that I'm not just nuts! It gets so easy to doubt yourself as a parent, especially when other children seem to be able to handle 'normal' stuff.

#88 of 136 Old 05-24-2009, 01:08 AM

Hello, Sept. mammas! I'm dropping in after a LONG absence. I still read a lot of the Sept. threads, though. Congrats to all with new babes, and those expecting. We had a surprise pregnancy in March, followed by a miscarriage at the end of April. I was pretty devastated, because I hadn't expected to be pregnant again, but had secretly wanted another baby for awhile, and losing it really hurt. But we will be TTC in late summer/early fall, so that's something to look forward to. I never thought DH would be on board for #4, so I consider that a miracle in and of itself.

Bhavani, our Sept. 04 sweetpea, attended a home-based preschool this year, and thrived and bloomed there. She is registered for Kindergarten next year at a charter school with a Multiple Intelligences approach, but we are trying to move to Oregon this summer (if/when our house sells), and their cutoff for K is strict, and she misses it by 12 days, so she won't start K if we move. She is fascinated by the alphabet and although she doesn't read yet, she loves writing words we spell for her and has amazing fine motor skills for her age. She is stubborn, strong-willed, demanding, and sweet, and has quite a sophisticated sense of humor. I thought she seemed shy as a toddler, but she has become quite outgoing and loves to make people laugh. I'd post photos, but they're on another computer.

I hope you're all well and healthy, and enjoying the arrival of spring! I can't believe our "babies" will be FIVE in just a few months. How is that even possible?

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
#89 of 136 Old 05-24-2009, 01:23 AM

hullo, mamas.

Just wanted to say hi. Don't feel like I have a lot to say. Jilly, because Andrew needed a mom who could help him find his way in life and obviously felt you were the one, and so he came to you / was sent to you for this reason. I ask myself the same question on a nearly daily basis regarding E and his Down syndrome. Some days are worse, some days are better. Some days I'm glad we're his parents, some days I'm bitter and asking why I can't just have two typically-abled sons. I just try to remember that he came to our family specifically for a reason and that I'd better buck up and do the job that someone (E? God? The universe?) has faith that I am most suited to. I just wish I also had as much faith in myself as that Someone has in me.

Um, hm, what else is new? T is about to 'graduate' from his language immersion preschool. He's enrolled 5 days a week next year at the Waldorf school. Our big tax return this year is being squirreled away to help pay for it. T is currently baseball obsessed and I am a little alarmed at how well he can hit. He's playing t-ball with his neighborhood this summer and he has informed me that he wants to learn how to swim by himself.

E is 6 months old tomorrow. I enjoy his sunny personality but would be a liar if I didn't say that I get kind of sad and jealous when I see other kids his age who are babbling, interactive, starting to sit on their own, getting up on hands and knees, trying solid food... it's all a big task of learning to appreciate his own progress and not measure him against other kids. Most of all it's hard for me to go back and look at pictures of what T was doing at that age. E is being fitted for a BAHA softband hearing aid next week. He has conductive hearing loss, meaning that the structure of the inner ear is probably fine but he is not hearing everything he should be because something is in the way of the sound getting to the inner ear. In the right ear, it's that the ear canal is so narrow... in the left it's probably fluid, and he's too young for ear tubes. A BAHA hearing aid bypasses the ear canal by transmitting the sound vibrations directly to the skull right behind the ear. A true BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid) is actually screwed into the skull; because E is so small this will just be held to his head tightly with a headband. Hope, pray, send good vibes that he will grow out of this...

I can feel myself starting to get melodramatic which means it's time for me to get the heck to bed. I should have gone an hour ago.

Love to you all... jen

#90 of 136 Old 05-25-2009, 01:04 PM

Jen--sending good vibes for E to outgrow the hearing issues! I checked out your blog, and E is such a cutie! And the HAIR on that kid, wow! He has more hair than Bhavani had at 3.

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page