Do you leave your child alone when you go to the restroom? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 97 Old 01-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No I would not leave my child alone in a public place so I could use the restroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 97 Old 01-26-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjawm View Post
Nope, not until they're much older. 4 is too young.
I agree.
#93 of 97 Old 01-26-2009, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No, no, no, no, no! I still would not be comfortable leaving my 8 year old alone in a resteraun, unless, in an emergency, MAYBE in the care of my 13 year old and for as little time as possible. There is one exception, though- the resteraunt my Sister-in-Law works in. She's worked there forever, my Hubby's gone there forever, it's like that old show, "Cheers"- where everybody knows your name.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#94 of 97 Old 01-27-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucysmom View Post
To me this is similar to the question of whether to allow kids to play outside out of your sight. I think it is worth the risk under most circumstances. I know many feel differently.
for me the same rules do apply - they're allowed outside together but not alone (at least, not for any long period of time). well, i do let one outside alone to ride their bike on the patio which is right next to the kitchen, if i am in the kitchen. but to run around further away from the house they have to be together. i have no concerns about other people where we live - off a dirt road on 45 acres. and no concerns about them going where they are not supposed to - they understand what they are and aren't allowed to do and there's enough that they are allowed to do that they have no reason to mess with stuff they aren't. and when weather is good and the windows are open i can hear everything they are doing, even at a pretty good distance. but i prefer they are together outside anyway just in case something were to happen that i didn't hear there will be someone who can run in and get me if the other one can't.

but i think for many people it's going to depend on where you live. if you've got a fenced in back yard on a quiet street, the risk really is not the same leaving your kid alone in the back yard as it is leaving him/her alone in an open public place. at least not from a 'stranger danger' or 'getting lost while looking for you' perspective.
#95 of 97 Old 01-27-2009, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
for me the same rules do apply - they're allowed outside together but not alone (at least, not for any long period of time). well, i do let one outside alone to ride their bike on the patio which is right next to the kitchen, if i am in the kitchen. but to run around further away from the house they have to be together. i have no concerns about other people where we live - off a dirt road on 45 acres. and no concerns about them going where they are not supposed to - they understand what they are and aren't allowed to do and there's enough that they are allowed to do that they have no reason to mess with stuff they aren't. and when weather is good and the windows are open i can hear everything they are doing, even at a pretty good distance. but i prefer they are together outside anyway just in case something were to happen that i didn't hear there will be someone who can run in and get me if the other one can't.

but i think for many people it's going to depend on where you live. if you've got a fenced in back yard on a quiet street, the risk really is not the same leaving your kid alone in the back yard as it is leaving him/her alone in an open public place. at least not from a 'stranger danger' or 'getting lost while looking for you' perspective.
Plus, often, you know your neighbors, or at least know they're not kidnappers or axe murderers. Anyone can walk into any resteraunt or public place and they don't have to announce to everyone there that they are a sexc offender, or something like that.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#96 of 97 Old 01-27-2009, 04:30 PM

I would leave my soon to be 8 YO alone at the table if I needed to pee, yes. I don`t do it, however, because he doesn`t want to. But IF he was ok with it, I would let him sit there while I ran to pee. This would only be ok in a restaurant we both where familiar with, and where the toilet was close by.
Here in Norway I think most people would do that, actually.

I would not do this when he was 4, however.

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#97 of 97 Old 01-27-2009, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dd1, who will be 4 in April, would be too nervous (she might claim to be okay, but in reality she`d be terrified the whole time I was gone, kwim?). Also although I consider her to be a very sensible & cautious kid, there are too many potential scenarios where I could see her feeling uncomfortable & scared. As a bonus, I'm usually trying to convince her to try & pee by going with her to go pee myself, lol.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page