Homework - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-21-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter (first grade) gets homework every evening. Not much--just reading a book of her choosing for 15 minutes three days a week and 2 days a week, she gets a couple worksheets to fill out. They take her about 15 minutes to complete. It is not a surprise as it is the same thing every week. However, she gets home and completely ignores it. If I do not pull her folder from her bookbag and get on her to get it done, she will not do it. It came to a head the other day. She was absent from school and returned to school the next day. Then they had a 3-day weekend. At bedtime the day before returning to school after the 3-day, when I went to sign off on her reading--she had a whole sheaf of papers to do. I made her stay up and complete it. Took about an hour. So she was up an hour past her bedtime. It should not be my responsibility to see if she has homework. I'm happy to help her with it and check it.
#2 of 14 Old 01-21-2009, 03:09 PM

Umm.. she's 7. I teach college and I know a lot of college students who don't have the skills to keep on top of their homework. Your job is to teach her that (so when she's older she WILL have those skills).

First thought: What structures do you have in place to help her remember? Do you have a designated "homework" time? That would be my suggestion. On days when it's just reading, she reads for that time. Other days, she does the worksheets.

Our ds is in second grade, and he is a VERY responsible kid. Nevertheless, if we didn't have homework time as part of our evening routine (dinner- chore time- play time-homework time-pajama time-reading time), it wouldn't get done. He just doesn't have the organizational skills yet.

Second thought: What are the consequences if she doesn't get it done? At our son's school, if they don't get their reading or their homework done, they have to stay inside during lunch recess and go to study hall. Could you leave the consequences to the school? (Ds would be MORTIFIED if he ever had to do that, and it would create anxiety/drama for a week in our house, so I've chosen the first approach.)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#3 of 14 Old 01-21-2009, 03:26 PM

I agree a little help can go a long way, even if its just a reminder of " do you have any worksheets/reading tonight?" and knowing that she does to help her get it done. with 1st grade DD we always try to make homework positive, they get stickers at school for doing there hw, and yesterday she even CHOSE to stay in at recess to finish her classwork. I think that its because we make homework time positive. i would give your DC a little extra encouragement if thats what they need.

Katie, Enjoying my time with my love Josh:, kiddos Kendel '01 and Xander '03 and our furry beast Sherman '08:
#4 of 14 Old 01-21-2009, 03:32 PM

I also have a first grader. If we didn't have a set homework and reading time in the evenings he would NEVER pull out his homework himself and complete it or even tell me about it. He does know that every day after school he needs to unpack his backpack and give me his home folder. I'll remind him as he comes in if needed. All parent teacher communication, fild trip slips, homework etc. comes home in that folder every day. He also knows that at night after we clean up from dinner it is time to do his homework. Most of his homework requires parent participation anyway. Playing math games, I quiz him on his word wall words, he has to share certain things with me that he learned that day, etc. Then every night he reads aloud to me. I sign his homework sheet every night when everything is completed. Then he packs everything back into his backpack for the next day. At this point it is my job as a parent to make sure that his homework is completed every night and that he gets into a homework routine and acquires good study habits.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#5 of 14 Old 01-21-2009, 03:32 PM

I have a first grader who actually likes to do homework, for the most part. But if I didn't make sure it happened, it wouldn't happen. I don't think it's realistic to expect a child this age to take full responsibility for getting homework done.

When my ds gets home from school, I give him 30 min to an hour to unwind, and then we pull out his homework. I sit at the table with him and supervise it. WE do have a rule that he cannot go play with friends until it is done. (He can do other things around the house, but just no friends.) The reading we do as part of our bedtime routine, and he really looks forward to it.
#6 of 14 Old 01-21-2009, 03:51 PM

Oh, ya.. homework is 100% your responsibility until about fifth grade. My daughter is a sophomore in high school and she barely remembers her own homework until one of her friends calls to ask about an assignment.

At that age, I yanked her backpack off every day as she walked in the house, then I took out her folders, looked through them and set out that night's work.

Then, after dinner, I'd put it out on the coffee table and we'd kinda do it together.

It gets worse. In fifth grade, the teachers stop sending all the notices home, and the kids are expected to remember things on their own.... which they don't do until 9:00 P.M and then they come in and tell you they need poster board for a project that's due tomorrow.
#7 of 14 Old 01-21-2009, 03:59 PM

She's a first grader, it is your responsibility to check her bag for homework every day after school.

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#8 of 14 Old 01-21-2009, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, y'all. I can't exactly yank her backpack off--I get home from work 3 hours after she gets home from school. I tried giving the "job" to DH (who is home), but I end up doing it anyhow...
#9 of 14 Old 01-21-2009, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
in my case it was boredom with homework. not forgetting. if i didnt pull it out she wouldnt do it. dd at first grade gets a lot of homework.

i was getting tired of making her do it. finally i told her i was done. no more reminders. i told her the truth. she was doing well and seriously i didnt care if she did homework or not.

so she didnt do homework and had to sit on teh bench during recess. initially she enjoyed it. she got to read which she would prefer to running. and do her homework. soon it got old. and she was tired of sitting on teh bench.

that's when she decided seh was done. she would do her own homework. she had a talk iwth the teacher about it. today she does it all on her own. she cant go to bed without doing her homework. somedays she draaaaaaaaaags it out. somedays she is fine. she even started a homework club on the bench while waiting for parents to get there after class dismissal. by the time i get there she has done at least 25% of her homework.

with her personality this was the best treatment for dd. letting her make the decision of dealing with the consequences.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#10 of 14 Old 01-21-2009, 11:38 PM

Yeah, I agree, at this age, you do need to be responsible for it.

My son's in first grade as well and rarely has homework. He has spelling tests every week and we do study for those and he reads nightly. But those aren't required.
#11 of 14 Old 01-22-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

Second thought: What are the consequences if she doesn't get it done? At our son's school, if they don't get their reading or their homework done, they have to stay inside during lunch recess and go to study hall. Could you leave the consequences to the school? (Ds would be MORTIFIED if he ever had to do that, and it would create anxiety/drama for a week in our house, so I've chosen the first approach.)

same thing in my DD's class. That seems to be enough motivation for her --though, really she loves to read and do math, and that's pretty much all her homework consists of. Her spelling words are always a breeze so she never has to study them.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#12 of 14 Old 01-22-2009, 05:29 AM

My 2nd grader still needs reminded to do her homework. She knows that if her grades fall she'll be pulled out and homeschooled and not get to be in class with her friends anymore (she loves school), and I STILL have to remind her. Sometimes she needs help too.

Tanya ~~ mother to: Beth, 12 -- Cali & Trent, 9 -- Melanie, 8 -- Jesse & Davin, 5 -- Baby Shae 9/1/2009
#13 of 14 Old 01-22-2009, 12:24 PM

I agree that some sort of routine would be super helpful in making sure that the homework gets done. At our house, kids do homework immediately after getting home from school. They sit down at the kitchen table with a snack and some pencils. But since it doesn't sound like that's happening at your house, how about designating the time immediately after dinner as homework time?

I've found that if we make something routine, there is less grumbing about the task (once the routine is established, that is).

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#14 of 14 Old 01-22-2009, 01:03 PM

DS is only in kindy but has to do 25-30 homework pages in his notebook for each month. At first it was a lot of forgetting, then scrambling over the last few days each month to get them all done...we have since designated that each day while I am making dinner, he sits at the breakfast bar and works where I can help him if he needs it. Since we have stuck with it, I don't have to fight him on it anymore, it's just a regular part of the day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page