Can your 5 y.o blow their nose? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2009, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD5 has a terrible cold right now & she's very congested. She has NO idea how to blow her nose. Now matter what I do to show her, she can't do it. I'm ready to hurl listening to her snort in her snot...yuck. So any tips on teaching a child how to blow their nose? And at what age did your DC learn to do this?

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 05:47 PM

Have you tried "close your mouth and blow out the candle"? And actually use a candle. I was lucky -- DS learned when he was three, but it looks like DD is going to take longer...
-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

Old 01-21-2009, 05:52 PM

DS has known for quite some time (probably since 3 1/2), although we didn't really teach him...he just figured out he could blow out of his nose to make giant gobs of snot come out and decided it was fun. Boys.
Anyway, I have heard of the candle trick before, maybe give it a whirl.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:06 PM

Both my kids are pro nose blowers. Now if my 2 year could say "kleenex" to where I could understand what he was saying, we'd be set.

I don't know how we taught them, just tried it and they caught it pretty quick.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:27 PM

Yes my children learned this very early.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:42 PM

my son will be 5 in march. he trys to blow his own nose & does a pretty decent job... but when he's really got a lot of yucky stuff from a cold - i will still help him. it can be too messy and a daunting task for a small child. so imo, continue to help her if she wants you too.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Old 01-21-2009, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
My 3 year old can. Came in real handy when she put a corn kernel up there. I ended up having her hold 1 nostril and blow. Out came the mystery item. Thank goodness. We started working on it who knows how long ago, simply because she had some mucus in there that needed to come out!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
Old 01-21-2009, 07:53 PM

this was actually a topic of conversation in our house...dd is 6.5 has been an uncooperative nose blower, she is doing well now after consistently expecting her to do it. I don't think I took the time to teach her and that created an issue later on...I stay start early and give them time and patience.

dust.gif
Old 01-21-2009, 08:01 PM

My almost 5 year old can't even though I am constantly trying to teach her.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyMommaToo View Post
Have you tried "close your mouth and blow out the candle"? And actually use a candle. I was lucky -- DS learned when he was three, but it looks like DD is going to take longer...
-e
Yes, we've tried that. It just seems so weird that she can't do this. I try to tell her it's like swimming & blowing bubbles underwater but she just can't get it. UGH.

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
Old 01-22-2009, 12:05 PM

When my grandpa was still alive, DS adored him. And when Papa blew his nose, a great earthshattering honk issued from behind the tissue. DS1 learned to aproximate this sound by blowing a rasberry behind his hands. Nana (my grandma) thought this was adorable, and became even more endeared to it after Grandpa passed away. Since it made Nana happy, DS1 kept the habit up. It took him AGES to really blow this nose. He'll still honk when he's around Nana, and while I absolutely *hate* it, it doesn't really hurt anyone.
We didn't have any special trick to get him going. We just worked on him not honking. It became evident that honking wasn't getting the snot out of his nose, and he pretty much figured it out.

:Pagan Mom to Danny and Mal , Wife to Charles Pet Parent to kitty Paige.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanZansMommy View Post
DD5 has a terrible cold right now & she's very congested. She has NO idea how to blow her nose. Now matter what I do to show her, she can't do it. I'm ready to hurl listening to her snort in her snot...yuck. So any tips on teaching a child how to blow their nose? And at what age did your DC learn to do this?
My children all learned this pretty early..However, they all did the silly and cute rasberry thing too!

I would suggest telling your dd that pretend like she is going under water...close her mouth and then to blow her nose..blow the air out of her nose only..and then show her first..Hopefully this helps..poor kiddo, I hope she feels better! Try saline nose drops..it will help break up the nose yuckies and may be easier for her to blow if she does!
Old 01-22-2009, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DS learned when he was about 18 months old and in daycare. They teach the kids early there because the kids always have runny yucky noses. I believe they had him practise trying to move a kleenex near his nose by blowing on it through his nose.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:17 PM

It took dd1 a little while to learn to blow, not suck. I think she could do it by age 3 or so, dd2 is 26 months and can do it.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:14 PM

My 5.5 yr old finally figured out how to blow his nose just a few months ago, thank goodness! It has been at least three years that we have been trying to teach him, with every cold, but to no avail. He just refused and ran out of the room every time we suggested it or tried to show him how to do it. He refused to blow out the candle even. We've had countless discussions about how important it is to get that stuff out... I guess he/we just had to wait until he was ready. Hang in there, mama!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyBuggles View Post
It took dd1 a little while to learn to blow, not suck. I think she could do it by age 3 or so, dd2 is 26 months and can do it.
Actually . . . there's an idea. Have your dd sniffle in, then have her "do the opposite".

Also, if she's got concrete up there, some saline spray may be needed before anything will come out. I've got two pro nose-blowers, but one of them always gets stuffed up with concrete; so even though she knows how to blow, 90% of the time nothing comes out without a little intervention.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:14 AM

I'm 29, and I can't blow my nose. I think it's something structural/anatomical, since I've been trying to learn and have had many different kinds of "lessons" over the years. I can blow air out of my nose, but can't clear my sinuses or any snot that isn't almost at the nostril already that way. When I have a cold I have to carry tissue and do lots of wiping to catch the drips :

My three year old can blow her nose a little bit, and certainly as well or better than I can. And I taught her how

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

User Tag List