Night time cloth diapers for 5 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2009, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our 5 1/2 year old ds is a very deep sleeper and pees a lot at night. We try to limit his fluids before bed, have him potty multiple times before going to sleep, wake him up once a night to potty, but he still pees through his pullup/goodnights/underjams -- whatever we put on him. I've tried a few pocket diapers stuffed to the max, as well as prefolds with doublers. He's so uncomfortable in the cloth, he ends up taking it off at night while I'm sleeping.

Last night, we tried a pull-up with a ultra-super maxi pad as a doubler and it leaked, too.

I'm not interested in alarms or ways to get him potty trained at night. I feel like that will happen as he matures and is futile to attempt while he's such a deep sleeper.

Any suggestions for cloth (or other) solutions to minimize a wet bed every night?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 09:43 PM

Mother ease has something they call a bed wetter pant. I haven't tried them yet, as my son who still sleeps in a cloth diaper at night still fits into the one-size diaper I bought at the beginning. But they are the one's I'll try next, if he still needs a diaper when he out grows these.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
Old 01-28-2009, 10:08 PM

Something like this http://www.borntolove.com/catalog7l.html might help keep the bed dry. I have one & I'm planning on buying a couple more. Even if you have to use a couple during the night, it would be a lot easier than changing the bed all the time.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 01-29-2009, 01:07 AM

Although most people don't like them, we had terrific luck with Kushies AIOs for nighttimes.

And definitely get some wool or fleece pads to put under him so you're not having to change the whole bed over.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:44 PM

My DD is now usually dry at night but here's what worked for me:

I have a couple of really old felted wool blankets that I use as mattress pads. Each is for a twin/double bed and I fold it in four so there are four layers of wool. I put a towel on top. When the towel gets wet, I change the towel. The wool prevents the mattress from getting soaked. I use a new blanket every night, giving the damp one a chance to dry. I wash them and dry them in the dryer when needed.

I finally gave up on diapering all night because it woke her up when I changed the diaper at my bedtime. I put her to sleep (in my bed) without a diaper on and took her to the bathroom when I went to bed, around midnight. Sometimes the towel was dry, sometimes not (in which cse I changed the towel). When I brought her back to bed, I put a diaper on her with a wool cover. I left the towel/wool in place in case there was a leak.

I used either a tri-folded prefold with a super-soaker doubler topped with a Loveybums interlock wool cover or a Loveybums sherpa diaper with a super-soaker doubler topped with either an Aristocrats or Loveybums interlock wool cover. The XL Loveybums cover fit with lots of room to spare even when DD was done with night-time diapers at 43lbs.

HTHs!

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

Old 02-02-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pajama View Post
Mother ease has something they call a bed wetter pant. I haven't tried them yet, as my son who still sleeps in a cloth diaper at night still fits into the one-size diaper I bought at the beginning. But they are the one's I'll try next, if he still needs a diaper when he out grows these.
We've tried that for my 4 year old, and it did not hold for her - it leaked.

We are using sposies - Goodnights right now, but I'd love to find a cloth alternative.

User Tag List