Parents of 7 yo...question - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 02-03-2009, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son doesn't like to play alone. He doesn't find things to entertain himself. I give him suggestions, and sometimes he does them, but mostly he wants me to be right there the whole time. I cannot do that. Obviously I have to take care of a house and I also have an almost 2 yo. I don't know how to help him find ways to entertain him. Any suggestions. He does like to read. How often and for how long does your 7yo play unassisted?

~Allyson~
Mama to and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-03-2009, 09:00 AM

My daughter is the same way, to an extent. Her sisters are 5 and 2, so they do all play nicely together, but sometimes she doesn't want to play what they want, and then she wants me to play with her which doesn't always work out either. That's when she likes to get her little cd player out and listen to that for awhile. I hear though, it's frustrating!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#3 of 7 Old 02-03-2009, 12:11 PM

Mine has always been much more into playing by himself than having me play. He'll ask for my help building something but then he wants to play on his own.

Now if I could just get both of my kids to play together for more than 2 minutes.

#4 of 7 Old 02-03-2009, 12:39 PM

My DS is the same way! The thing to me that gets annoying is the constant "what can I do". I'll suggest things, many things, and they just don't seem to appeal to him! Sometimes if I just pull out an activity or start doing something he'll get into it, and then remain doing it on his own. Other times he does find things to do on his own. It seems like he needs my attention or his dad's all the time. And if not one of us playing then "I want to play with so and so, I never play with anyone". I am trying to get over feeling like I have to do everything with him everytime he asks. I tell myself, it is ok to say I'm busy making dinner so can you please read or draw for a bit on your own, etc.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#5 of 7 Old 02-03-2009, 04:28 PM

I have a niece who is nearly seven. I'm not sure that I've ever seen her play independently. There's nothing wrong with enjoying the company of others. There's nothing weird about a seven year old who doesn't play much by themselves (or with one who does).

I would explain that you have things to do, and I'd suggest to DS ways that he could help... either with household chores, or with his sibling. I'd always try and arrange playdates. We've often been asked to supply a child for a playdate so that mom can get some peace. Two kids who play well together are way less trouble than one child who doesn't like to play alone.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#6 of 7 Old 02-03-2009, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My 7 yo is an extrovert and has a high need for a lot of interaction. Having a friend over can be helpful. He plays alone when he does computer games. Sometimes he'll get engrossed in building something with legos. But he needs a lot of interaction to have a "full cup" and go off and do that.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#7 of 7 Old 02-08-2009, 03:12 PM

i know how you feel, its hard to get time alone to get those things done around the house. we have designated times where i say i need to get xyz done you can help by ___ or its time to play by yourself for a bit. That seems to help, also having an activity that you will do together later or special trip you will take (my dd loves going anywhere without her brother).

Katie, Enjoying my time with my love Josh:, kiddos Kendel '01 and Xander '03 and our furry beast Sherman '08:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page