For those with grade school daughters, average age of menses? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 02-16-2009, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious to know the average age of menses for anyone who has a daughter in grade school. My daughter is 8 1/2, and she is rapidly maturing. Her doctor told me that I should be prepared for her period in 6 - 12 months. She would be 9 to 9 1/2 years at that point. She is very young in my opinion, but others have told me that their daughters are starting alot younger than they did.

Also, how did you go about preparing your daughter for her period, how to recognize it (blood) and what to do next. I don't want her to be caught off guard and scared, so I have started to explain that her body is changing. She has asked me so many questions including, how to use pads and tampons (her questions brought all of this out).

I just feel she is so young. It is hard for me personally to realize that I have a little woman on my hands. And at the same time, she is such a happy go lucky girl, and I don't want to say or do anything to take that away.

Okay, thoughts?

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#2 of 59 Old 02-16-2009, 08:34 AM

None of my girls have actually started yet, but Beth is getting close, I think. My kids know all about puberty and how their bodies will develop, though, so I don't feel the need to do anything special. Actually, just the other day I was explaining to my 4yo son what a tampon was for (he picked up one and started playing with it ).

My girls seem to be on the 'late bloomer' end of things, though. A lot of the girls I know between 8 and 12 have already started, and, unfortunately, the mothers sometimes don't do a very good job of preparing the girls, or at least of making sure they carry the necessary things with them. After the second time a very embarrassed girl asked me if she could have a sanitary pad, I put clearly labeled containers with the necessary protections on the back of the toilet in each bathroom. Poor girls, it's no fun to have to ask a friend's mom who you barely know a question like that. So make sure your daughter carries something with her at all times once she starts. Girls can be pretty erratic when they first start menstruating.

As far as recognizing it, I think it will be pretty obvious if they've been taught what it is. As for what to do, I assume Beth will put on a pad from the clearly labeled container, lol. I'd like to think she'll tell me, but knowing her I'll find out from the trash and missing pads. She probably won't deem it worthy of mentioning. I never told my mother. I just took pads from the drawer and went on about my business (I had been told I would start to bleed one day, obviously, or I'm sure I would've been scared).

I know a lot of people think getting your period makes you a woman, but a 9yo is a girl, whether she bleeds or not. Getting her cycle won't change who she is, so I hope you don't let it change the way you see or treat her.

Tanya ~~ mother to: Beth, 12 -- Cali & Trent, 9 -- Melanie, 8 -- Jesse & Davin, 5 -- Baby Shae 9/1/2009
#3 of 59 Old 02-16-2009, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Have you looked into diet changes to delay the onset? This may give you more time.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#4 of 59 Old 02-16-2009, 02:20 PM

My oldest is 10. In her grade(5) there are 2 girls who I know have AF. They were both held back a year & are currently 12 & almost 12. They both got AF last year.

None of her other friends have AF. There a couple who will probably have it within a year based on the development I can see.

Of the girls in Grade 6, I don't know who does or doesn't, but most of them are not developed to the point where they'd have AF yet.

My dd has some pubic hair & some emotions,lol, but not really any breast development yet.
#5 of 59 Old 02-16-2009, 03:26 PM

I can totally relate! I didn't begin until I was 13, so I was completely unprepared. They are still little girls in so many ways!

My eldest turns 11 this month. She developed early as well, with actual breasts at age 8. According to her MD, it is only "early puberty" if they get onset of menses before age 8.
That said, she started just as she turned 10, in 4th grade. One of her classmates developed similarly. This year, in 5th grade, a couple more of her classmates have begun menses as well.

I really like the American Girl book The Care and Keeping of You for discussing puberty without getting into sexuality. (I just felt age 8 was a bit early for her to worry about sex being part of her life.)
I also bought panty liners and pads for her, put them in her bathroom and at Grandma's house in the bathroom she uses there, and let her tuck one into a pocket of her backpack. (Since 8 yo's don't carry a purse at school!) I also made sure she knew that the school secretary has supplies in the office should she need them. Her bathroom at school also has one of those machines, with pads for $0.10, so I tucked a couple dimes into her backpack as well.
She recently told me of one of her friends getting her first period at school, and she was the one they turned to for help and advice.

(She has recently begun having noticeable BO as well, and now must use deodorant daily.)

Sharon FF/Medic DH 3 DD's 2/98, 4/01, 11/05
~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#6 of 59 Old 02-16-2009, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My eldest was 13, but her periods didn't come regularly for a year or so at least after that. My 11.5 year old doesn't appear anywhere close to starting her period. She barely has any breast buds and no body hair or BO. She hasn't had much of a growth spurt either. She has read Care and Keeping of You, and both I and her big sister have openly discussed menses etc with her. I don't have anything ready for her yet, because it really doesn't seem imminent at all.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#7 of 59 Old 02-16-2009, 05:21 PM

both my girls were about 12 or 13 and didn't have a regular period until about a year or so later.
I didn't have them reading books or anything, I just talked openly and they listened. Both informed me when it happened and both did well with it.
#8 of 59 Old 02-16-2009, 09:22 PM

Anna started on her 12th bday. Happy birthday to her

Amy - mom to Anna-Rebekah 14, Logan 13, Christian 8, Ethan 7 and Adan 07/15/08
#9 of 59 Old 02-16-2009, 10:53 PM

The Care and Keeping of You is a great resource...I'll add another vote for that. My oldest dd began her periods at 12.5 and my ten-year-old isn't anywhere close, but she certainly has friends her age who are much further along in development, so it's not out of the ordinary. For both of my older daughters, we discussed it on more than one occasion, as too much heavy discussion at one time seemed too intense for them. My oldest child especially is a bit embarrassed by the whole thing, so we did a lot of talking in the car, when she didn't really have to look at me.

I'll say that I had pads available for my oldest in her bathroom and the communal bathroom, and encouraged her to keep one in her backpack for about a year before she actually needed it, just to give her some security. I'd make sure to mention how to dispose of them, so no toilets are clogged. S didn't actually use a tampon until just recently, because she's a competitive swimmer--she asked for them. I bought some slim ones and she had no problems figuring it out by herself.

~Tammy
#10 of 59 Old 02-16-2009, 11:27 PM

Oldest dd is 10, in 5th grade. I have no clue whether any of the other girls in her grade have started. She's a young 5th grader, and will turn 11 right before 6th grade. I am really hoping she will wait to start until this summer. I hadn't thought of having a few panty liners in her backpack. It has lots of pockets; that's a great idea. I have things in all my personal bags ...

She's been using deo all year (found a natural kind she likes/works for her) and she has been wearing those little tiny bralet things. Very nice, like a bra/cami type thing. Soft, comfy and cheap (which I like). They had nothing like that I can remember back in the day.

She wants to use cloth, likes the idea, but may do disp. at school and cloth at home. We'll see what works.
#11 of 59 Old 02-17-2009, 02:53 AM

The average age is 12.5 in North America. That doesn't change either between girls who started maturing early and those who started a few years later so early maturation is no promise of an early period.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#12 of 59 Old 02-17-2009, 06:46 AM

DD is in 4th grade and none of her friends have started menstruating. I expect, but who knows, DD to be a late bloomer like I was.

I also third the Care and Keeping of You book. It is an awesome reference and DD and I have gone over it multiple times. It really opens the door for some great conversation. My mom was never very open and involved with me so it's important that I let DD know she can come to me with anything (and everything).

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#13 of 59 Old 02-17-2009, 12:05 PM

I started at age 11, as did a few of my friends. I'm expecting my daughters to start around the same age.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#14 of 59 Old 02-17-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsTwicePlusTwo
I know a lot of people think getting your period makes you a woman, but a 9yo is a girl, whether she bleeds or not. Getting her cycle won't change who she is, so I hope you don't let it change the way you see or treat her.
Great point.

My dd is 9 and I have noticed little buds one day, but nothing else. She has a birth mark in her one armpit, so every now and then I act like I'm looking at her birthmark. And she is still pretty bare, although on occasion she does use deodorant.
#15 of 59 Old 02-17-2009, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I started at 10 - 29 years ago. I don't think I'd had any talks with my mother, but, fortuitously, the entire 4th grade passed around Are you There God, It's Me Margaret, by Judy Bloom, so I knew what it was when it came that summer. I just called my mom at work and let her know and she directed me to her pads (which, I previously thought she used for staving off potty breaks when she had a lot to do or was out for long period s of time away from a bathroom. ). I don't think my breasts had begun to develop . . . but, then again, I'm an A cup. So, I'm still waiting.

As for tampons, that came up 2 years later when I had championship swim meet races and my period. My mom got a box of jr. tampons and the pharmacists gave her several out of the box (knowing that I would go through many in trying to figure out how to get one in) and that was my introduction - necessity.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#16 of 59 Old 02-18-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsTwicePlusTwo View Post
After the second time a very embarrassed girl asked me if she could have a sanitary pad, I put clearly labeled containers with the necessary protections on the back of the toilet in each bathroom. Poor girls, it's no fun to have to ask a friend's mom who you barely know a question like that.
My mom did this and my friends were so grateful. I plan to do the same and include condoms.

My dds are at present 6 and 4, so there hasn't been a need yet.
#17 of 59 Old 02-19-2009, 04:24 AM

Great question!

I have an 8.5 yr old DD and recently she was showing me her breast buds LOL. She was very proud of them LOL. It looks like just one of them is "budding" and only at the nipple area I guess? This of course freaks me out LOL...she's my little girl and I'm not ready. Guess I need to really start researching, because as silly as it sounds, I don't really recall when I started to develop,etc.

She's fairly little too, about 50 lbs and 50".

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#18 of 59 Old 02-19-2009, 04:53 AM

My daughter isn't that age yet, but my friends' daughters seem to get their periods around age 12. I was 13.5.

My mom bought me a box of pads almost a year ahead of time, and I carried one in my purse. (I started carrying a purse when I was 2.)
#19 of 59 Old 02-19-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMommy View Post
She's fairly little too, about 50 lbs and 50".
That's about the size of my DD (10 in July). I wonder if the size affects the start time. I mean, I know size and physical fitness can affect the menstruation after one has started, but can it also delay the start time? I didn't start until I was 14 and I was teeny.

Musician Dad?

Gone but not fogotten.
#20 of 59 Old 02-19-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
The average age is 12.5 in North America. That doesn't change either between girls who started maturing early and those who started a few years later so early maturation is no promise of an early period.
12.5 - OMG! I got my first period at 17. I've heard artificial lighting is one of the reasons for the earlier age. Possibly diet as well?
#21 of 59 Old 02-19-2009, 03:36 PM

I didn't start (thankfully!) till I was 16. It looks like my girls are following suit...14yo still has not started despite breast development. I'm actually relieved to hear that the onset of menses aligns heavily with the age of onset of the mother. Anyone else find this to be true? Most of my daughters friends have all started already. Anyone know if there is any link to the "Risser stage" of skeletal growth?(measurement of the hip bone thickness to determine skeletal maturity). I found it interesting to see that my dd was still at "risser stage 0-1" at this age. (She was being evaluated for scoliosis). Just wondering if they relate in any way?

me-45, DH-46, ds1-23, ds2-18, dd1-17, dd2-14, dd3-4....hoping for #6.....

#22 of 59 Old 02-19-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
That's about the size of my DD (10 in July). I wonder if the size affects the start time. I mean, I know size and physical fitness can affect the menstruation after one has started, but can it also delay the start time? I didn't start until I was 14 and I was teeny.

Musician Dad?
I've got a daughter and no live in woman so I gotta do my research!

And yes, weight can't and often does affect start time. I think muscle vs. fat ratio has more of an effect. As long as the body knows it has enough resources to carry a child, a girl can start her period.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#23 of 59 Old 02-19-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
As long as the body knows it has enough resources to carry a child, a girl can start her period.
Great point! I think that must be a big factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR
I've heard artificial lighting is one of the reasons for the earlier age.
Really? How does that work?

I thought it was more diet (hormones and additives and such) that are affecting our daughters.

Gone but not fogotten.
#24 of 59 Old 02-19-2009, 05:47 PM

my dd is almost 12 (in 6th grade) and already had her 1st.....this year. she's not regular or anything and has only had a few since she started. they are not heavy....more "spotty" than anything. she's very tall for her age (about 5'2) and she's skinny as a rail.

i was like 16 when i had my first, so apparently genetics has nothing to do with it!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#25 of 59 Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 PM

In his book Boys Adrift, Dr. Leonard Sax has interesting info on the effects of chemicals in plastics on the hormonal systems of both genders. He draws a correlation between early menses and (advanced) physical development in girls with the increased exposure to plastics (ie: as bottled water use has grown, so has early puberty rate in girls).

I found some of the theories in the book not well-substantiated by research, and I've not researched this extensively myself, but it does raise some questions...
#26 of 59 Old 03-21-2009, 08:43 PM

I am bumping this. My dd just turned 10. She is starting puberty. I am trying to load myself up with as much info as I can.

My vegan mom would like to blame the early puberty on the fact that we eat meat (hormones). My sister-in-law would love to blame it on the fact that we drink soy milk. I personally would love to blame on something that doesn't make it my fault,lol.

DP started puberty very early. He was very embarrassed and would sneak to his friends house to use his dad's stuff to shave. (he had a single mom who did NOT talk about that kind of thing. My mom also started puberty early and was wearing a bra at 10. Her period started at 11 or 12. I didn't get my period until 15 (or 14)

The signs I am seeing are increased body order, oily face and breast buds (plus pain on/under one nipple). She started to plump up when she was about 8 1/2. I think that was in preparation for puberty. (?)

There was a few days when the pain in her nipple seemed to be pretty bad. Those same few days she had pain on her underarm. It seemed to be a little swollen too. Could this be the lymph nodes? Could it be puberty that caused it? (I will ask her dr when I take her in on the 2nd of April)

So....menses is usually one of the last puberty 'signs'?
#27 of 59 Old 03-21-2009, 09:18 PM

I've heard: hair, buds, then menses.

And you do have to have a certain amount of body fat to get your period. Estrogen is made in the fat.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#28 of 59 Old 03-21-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candipooh View Post
My mom also started puberty early and was wearing a bra at 10. Her period started at 11 or 12. I didn't get my period until 15 (or 14)

Why would your mother blame hormones from meat if she started puberty early, as well? Surely, even if your vegan mother ate meat as a child, it didn't have hormones back then, right? It sounds like your dd just takes after gma. (I'd tell gma that )
#29 of 59 Old 03-21-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
I've heard: hair, buds, then menses.

And you do have to have a certain amount of body fat to get your period. Estrogen is made in the fat.
Most of the time, breasts start deveoping before pubic hair appears. Only 15% of girls get the hair first.

#30 of 59 Old 03-21-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama View Post
Why would your mother blame hormones from meat if she started puberty early, as well? Surely, even if your vegan mother ate meat as a child, it didn't have hormones back then, right? It sounds like your dd just takes after gma. (I'd tell gma that )

LOL, that is what I was thinking. And next time I talk to her about it I *will* bring it up.

I haven't noticed hair yet, the buds seems to be first. Although dd keeps checking for the hair.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page