Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-15-2002, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it possible for a 7 year old to have PTSD?

She turned 7 on September 11 (and we all know what else happened then), one week after starting Grade 2. Since then (and I've only put all this together in the past week or so), she constantly says she hates school (loved it every other year, to the point of crying at Xmas, March Break, summer vacation because there would be no school), her behaviour has gone right downhill (not listening, answering back, ignoring us, jealous of her devoted sister), not concentrating at school (to the point of lower grades), she has wet the bed a few times in the past couple of months (never did that before), has regular nightmares (always about planes crashing into our house - wonder where she got that from!).

I have an appointment for me at the dr. this week so I can talk to her about this, but I would like some input. Dh and I are adamant that we will not put her on meds, but what if there is no alternative - please give me an alternative!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 04-15-2002, 02:24 AM

Yes Irishmommy it is definately possible for a 7 year old to have PTSD, my almost 3 year old has PTSD from life saving medical procedures that were done shortly after her birth. There is no reason to put her on meds for this- the most promising new therapy is called EMDR

http://users.snip.net/~drsteve/EMDR.htm

We are looking into starting this for our daughter soon. Hopefully your doc can help to put you in touch with someone in your area whoi can do this.
#3 of 10 Old 04-15-2002, 08:12 AM

Lisamarie has some good information on EMDR. I'll PM her and see if she can post here too.

I absolutely think it's possible. But, you may want to look at some of the other things playing a roll in her life.

My son is 7 and we had some very severe problums with him for the past 6 months. We found out he was being bullied and intimidated in school. He was so upset and hurt that it all came out as anger.

Finally, we decided he was best off at home (Not saying that's the best solution for everyone). At first it was SO hard! He wanted this change, but was so angry about how he had been treated. He's been home for about a month and the last two weeks I feel like I have my son back!

Let us know how things go with the doctor. You must be feeling so lost now - I hope you can find some peace.
#4 of 10 Old 04-15-2002, 12:29 PM

I am so sorry for your 7 yo and for you, it must be scarey for both of you.

I would also make an appt. w/a child therapist, they can be such a wealth of info. and help.

Also, as Ms. Mom mentioned, I have done EMDR for PTSD for myself. Not everyone is cert. to do EMDR work. Its kind of like hypnosis, but you are in control at all times and awake. After trying meds. for months and getting no results, this was the only thing that helped me and it was immediate and a natural approach.

My EMDR info. is at the office, so I will post more later on info. about it. The person who develped it, Elizabeth Shapiro, also has a book about EMDR. She and others have done EMDR on kids and adults alike.

Take Care~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#5 of 10 Old 04-17-2002, 02:32 AM

The EMDR Institutes phone no. is: 831-372-3900. If you tell them what city you are in, they can send you the list of certified therapists.

good luck!

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#6 of 10 Old 04-17-2002, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I didn't post before now. My dr's appt. was today and I was waiting for that before I replied.

We didn't talk about EDMR, but she did suggest counselling for dd. However, the only 2 child physciatrists in the area are not accepting new patients, but she did say that the therapist dh and I see takes kids, so I might talk to her the next time we see her.

LisaMarie, I'm going to call that number as soon as I get off line. I might have a problem convincing dh though, as he is quite resistant to alternative anything (you have no idea how long it took to get him to a chiro!!).

I really think this is something relatively minor - she has not been molested or anything like that, so hopefully we can get it sorted.

Thanks for all your help.
#7 of 10 Old 04-17-2002, 04:16 PM

Irishmommy,
I know you are doing the best that you can, but I just want to make a point here that Post Traumatic Stress is not about a necessarily major event- there are many people who have PTSD from as common a thing as a car accident (and not necessarily a major one). It's not the severity of the event, but the fact that your brain can't let go of it. (a little like OCD) I have a friend who has PTSD from a minor car accident and it is 10 years later. I think PTSD surrounding the September 11th tragedy is common all over the country.
#8 of 10 Old 04-17-2002, 05:50 PM

Irishmommy- I suggest you seek out a therapist-not a psychiatrist. I don't know if you have restraints as far as your insurance goes, but psychiatrists are in the business of prescribing medication. Look for a therapist specializing in children.

That is the way it is in the US, at any rate. I am a licensed therapist so I do know what I am talking about. You may want to check into therapeutic day care, too. Not as a child care situation but a s therapy. GL.
#9 of 10 Old 04-18-2002, 12:13 AM

Irishmommy - your daughter is so lucky to have a mom who is so concerned for her! I think your doing all the right steps. If you don't see any improvement, or, you still feel concerned, continue seeking answers. But, I agee with your concervative approach for now.
#10 of 10 Old 04-18-2002, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

LisaMarie, I called that number and sent them an e-mail with my info. I hope they have something for me.

Khrisday, thanks for your explanation. What I was trying to say (badly!), was that there is no one major "happening" to her to cause this.

Clancysmum, I was actually relieved the the physciatrists were full - I must admit it didn't seem right to me - too excessive, and it will take so much for me to agree to meds for her (i.e., pretty much when hell freezes over)!

Ms Mom, thanks for the kind words, she's a wonderful kid, and I hate to see her like this. I want my daughter back.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page