They shouldn't have been swimming... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ETA (oops.. I put this in the wrong forum)

This week is spring break in our area.

We have a lot of kids on our block, but only one family of young kids has a parent at home during the day. Everybody else is working.

ALL the kids know, there is no swimming while the parents are gone.

Yet, today, the neighbor boy had a bunch of neighbor kids over to swim. I guess they thought they'd get away with it and nobody would find out.

But, the third grade girl from across the street jumped in the pool backwards and split her chin open. I heard her crying, I heard the boys yelling at her to stop crying. They kept saying "here, use this towel".

So, I looked out front, to see if they had gone out there. I saw a bunch of blood leading across the street, and a puddle of blood in front of the garage door. (there's an alarm keypad on the garage door for the kids to get in and out of)

So, I called the one parent that I know is home. (I have a daycare in my hosue and couldn't leave the kids to go over there and find out what happened)

Neighbor mom goes over and this poor kid is bleeding from the inside and outside of her mouth. Neighbor mom can't stop the bleeding, and the little girl can't seem to close her mouth. So, neighbor mom calls 911.

Wouldn't you?

911 comes over, they can't reach a parent. They can't reach anybody, so the paramedics look her over, decide that her jaw could be broken, and transport her to a hospital. Someone FINALLY reaches dad's cell phone, and he's two hours away in another town. So, he tracks down the estranged mother who comes over here AND SCREAMS AT ALL OF US FOR CALLING 911.

Seriously? Not "how is she?" Or "where is she?" or "My poor baby"... NOTHING.. just "who called 911?" All I said was "they took her to J*** * L****** hospital, you might want to GO THERE and check on her.

Mom continues to rant and demands to know how it happened. "Um.. they were swimming, and she fell on the cool decking... but, she's going to be fine, if ya want to get back in your little car there and go see her".

I mean WHO DOES THIS????? Who gets mad first, BEFORE going to check on their child? The only person at the hospital with that little girl was her 12 yr old brother who was freaking out.

Can you envision yourself wanting to talk to the neighbor that called 911 BEFORE going to see how she is?
#2 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 01:21 AM

People react to emergencies in weird ways sometimes. She probably wasn't thinking straight. I'm sorry that you had to bear the brunt of it though.

I hope the little girl is okay. Her injury sounds really painful.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#3 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 01:32 AM
2xy

Well, I don't know these parents, obviously, but maybe they were a little freaked out about a huge bill for an ambulance ride?

I was a latchkey kid, and I was home by myself at age eight, but my parents were always reachable. And this was BEFORE cell phones. If the parents can't be reached in an emergency, they should really have childcare for a third grader.
#4 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

I just talked to Dad. Her jaw is broken, and she needs a surgery in a day or two.

Poor kid.

Anyway.. I didn't mention anything about the mom. (they are divorced and she only see's them occasionally)

But, I was dying to say "I understand why you are divorced" Obviously, since I have no idea why they are divorced, I kept that little thought in my head.

But, he did say that the hospital security forced mom to leave the hospital because she created such a scene there. The 12 yr old is fine, and he seemed pretty proud of himself for handling things as best he could.

The third grader is home, and will go back tomorrow for more tests. But, he made it sound like the surgery will be in a few days.
#5 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 03:21 PM

all around.

I once called 911 at work when a patron began vomiting blood right next to my desk in the public library. She later came back to complain, since she had to pay for the ambulance ride to the hospital.
#6 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 03:45 PM

Poor kid, crazy mom. This is one reason why I am very grateful that my spring break will nearly always coincide with my kids. I can't imagine leaving a 3rd grader home all day alone, even if her older brother is with her! (Heck, I can't imagine leaving a 10th grader home alone for 8 hours at a stretch!)

I hope that the neighbor who had the kids to swim will do some restitution! (FWIW, his parents' homeowner's insurance will probably be liable.)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#7 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 03:58 PM

I'm with you. : I would have been screaming at you to tell me where my kid was.

Poor baby, that must hurt a lot and be so scary. Sounds like her big brother did though!

On the positive side, talk about natural consequences.
#8 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 04:21 PM

I would of also called 911. I hope the girl has a good recovery.
#9 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 05:16 PM

This story makes me feel ill. What happened is so bad and it could have been so much worse. I do not understand how ALL those parents had their kids home w/o supervision???? WTH? My DH and I both work full time and I know that finding care over break can be a pita. But it's just what you DO. Poor poor little girl.
#10 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 05:20 PM

Oh jeez that is crazy! Isn't there laws regarding leaving certain aged children at home alone?

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#11 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 08:46 PM

I haven't even read the other replies, this was such a disturbing story! Good for you and the SAHM neighbor, shame on that mother, and hugs to that poor big brother.

I would hope my neighbors would be as conscientious and helpful as you and your friend!
#12 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Mama! View Post
Oh jeez that is crazy! Isn't there laws regarding leaving certain aged children at home alone?
Yes. I don't know what it is in Oregon but in Georgia the law stated that a 10 year old may be left alone for "short periods of time". A child may not be left to supervise younger children unless they were 13 years old or more.
#13 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 09:02 PM

First, the situation you're describing is horrible. Poor little girl!

However, I don't *think* there is actually a specific law regarding leaving children home alone (at least not here in Oklahoma). There's a big 'gray area' about when it becomes OK to leave a child home alone, and for how long. The number I hear most frequently is 10 to be home alone or 12 to babysit younger siblings, in which case it sounds like what your neighbor was doing was within the range of acceptable (expect for her reaction when she found out what happened, holy crap!).

I honestly would be very comfortable leaving my 11yo daughter home alone for 8+ hours (she's extremely responsible), however I wouldn't be comfortable with her 'supervising' her younger siblings.

Tanya ~~ mother to: Beth, 12 -- Cali & Trent, 9 -- Melanie, 8 -- Jesse & Davin, 5 -- Baby Shae 9/1/2009
#14 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
Yes. I don't know what it is in Oregon but in Georgia the law stated that a 10 year old may be left alone for "short periods of time". A child may not be left to supervise younger children unless they were 13 years old or more.
I just found a (legit looking) website that says the law for Oregon is that no child under the age of 10 may be left alone, however they don't have a specific babysitting law and 'recommend' age 12 or 13 as youngest acceptable age for supervising siblings. Is the OP is Oregon?

Like I thought, Oklahoma doesn't have a law

Tanya ~~ mother to: Beth, 12 -- Cali & Trent, 9 -- Melanie, 8 -- Jesse & Davin, 5 -- Baby Shae 9/1/2009
#15 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsTwicePlusTwo View Post
I just found a (legit looking) website that says the law for Oregon is that no child under the age of 10 may be left alone, however they don't have a specific babysitting law and 'recommend' age 12 or 13 as youngest acceptable age for supervising siblings. Is the OP is Oregon?

Like I thought, Oklahoma doesn't have a law
She doesn't say where she is.. but the owners of the "pool house" could be in trouble with the law for having left kids unsupervised. I'd check her state laws and consider calling CPS.
#16 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 09:20 PM

Hopefully the kids learn a big lesson about never swimming without permission and hopefully no parent actually gave them permission to swim without an adult present...

Sorry for this girls injury. I do hope they will not swim without an adult-- this could have been a drowning...

Staying home at a certain age is one thing-- I don;t know the right age I suppose it depends. Swimming alone / with friends is another thing all together...
#17 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post
I just talked to Dad. Her jaw is broken, and she needs a surgery in a day or two.

Poor kid.

Anyway.. I didn't mention anything about the mom. (they are divorced and she only see's them occasionally)

But, I was dying to say "I understand why you are divorced" Obviously, since I have no idea why they are divorced, I kept that little thought in my head.

But, he did say that the hospital security forced mom to leave the hospital because she created such a scene there. The 12 yr old is fine, and he seemed pretty proud of himself for handling things as best he could.

The third grader is home, and will go back tomorrow for more tests. But, he made it sound like the surgery will be in a few days.
Do they live with the dad?

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#18 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
Do they live with the dad?
These kids live with the dad. It's a large family with five kids, ages 8-17. So, THEY were supposed to be supervised, but the older kids weren't around.

The other kids live on the block.

The pool house boy is an only child. He is old enough to have known that...

#1. There is no way that the cool decking could have dried in time before his mom came home. So, she would have figured it out on her own anyway.

#2. They were making enough noise that people three blocks away could have heard them, so obviously, SOMEONE would have ratted them out.

But, he took the chance anyway. He's grounded for the rest of spring break. He's not a happy kid. But, he's been good about it.

She was the only girl swimming, and she was three years younger than the rest of the kids, so she was showing off a bit. Nobody caused it, kids just get hurt. It probably would have happened if there were adults. But, at least there would have been some adults to help her.

She looks good today. She needs to have some teeth fixed, and she has some stitches inside and outside of her mouth.
#19 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 11:16 PM

Oh heavens That's awful That poor girl.

Just on a side note, I think I know that hospital! I read your post like the stars weren't even there and then went back and thought - Oh! I know that place!
#20 of 66 Old 03-17-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
But the owners of the "pool house" could be in trouble with the law for having left kids unsupervised. I'd check her state laws and consider calling CPS.
#21 of 66 Old 03-18-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
So, I looked out front, to see if they had gone out there. I saw a bunch of blood leading across the street, and a puddle of blood in front of the garage door. (there's an alarm keypad on the garage door for the kids to get in and out of)
this is all it would take for me to call 911

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#22 of 66 Old 03-18-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post
:

Oh, if you ever need to call 911 for an adult and they come back and complain, just remind them that it was *their* choice to get into the ambulance.
#23 of 66 Old 03-18-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
:

Oh, if you ever need to call 911 for an adult and they come back and complain, just remind them that it was *their* choice to get into the ambulance.
Agreed, you are allowed to refuse care!

I would have been terrified. Like a PP said, maybe it was just how the mom processed the scene and information? I don't know... taking into consideration that the parents are divorced and she doesn't have them full time maybe she thought she would get blamed somehow or it would look bad on her in the future if she wanted full custody?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#24 of 66 Old 03-18-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post
eh, if I knew the family well, I might just put the kid in my car and take her to the hospital myself. It would probably get her there quicker, and while this was certainly serious and scary, it doesn't sound life-threatening IMO, and so a 911 call and ambulance weren't absolutely necessary.

I don't mean to second guess the OP-- just suggest that we don't need to call 911 every time a kid gets hurt and bleeds a lot.

ZM
#25 of 66 Old 03-19-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldamomma View Post
eh, if I knew the family well, I might just put the kid in my car and take her to the hospital myself. It would probably get her there quicker, and while this was certainly serious and scary, it doesn't sound life-threatening IMO, and so a 911 call and ambulance weren't absolutely necessary.

I don't mean to second guess the OP-- just suggest that we don't need to call 911 every time a kid gets hurt and bleeds a lot.

ZM
But the OP said she runs a daycare and couldn't leave all those kids. IMO- the OP didn't have any other choice than to call 911 when nobody could reach a parent.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#26 of 66 Old 03-19-2009, 07:39 PM

Are you kidding me? This sounds like a situation where calling 911 is the smartest option!!! I would have done it in a heartbeat.
Poor little girl...obviously this sort of thing could happen even with parental supervision. What makes it so scary to me is that other children were 'in charge' of the situation when it actually happened. I think the OP made it clear that she wasn't in the position to go physically see what happened, and since the girl's parents weren't availble or able to be reached she did the right thing.
This is NOT a case of overreaction. What if the girl, upset and without her parents, had fallen and gotten hurt worse? Bleeding all over with a broken jaw is pretty darn serious. Or what if the children she was swimming with did nothing to help, just gave her a towel. Then...when the situation did turn life-threatening, would it be okay to call 911?

I know that if it were my child I'd be thankful to anyone who looked out for my hurt baby. IMO the mother acted irrationally in a very wrong way. I've been known to panic a bit in a crisis but always on the side of over-worrying about my babies. I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would worry about the d*mn ambulance before their child. Wacked.

Kier: wife to Jared, mama to Emma ('05), Savannah ('07), and our newest little love Reid (June 30, '09) -intact because of all of YOU! I had an ecstatic birth, at home in the water!
#27 of 66 Old 03-19-2009, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvybabygrace View Post
I know that if it were my child I'd be thankful to anyone who looked out for my hurt baby. IMO the mother acted irrationally in a very wrong way. I've been known to panic a bit in a crisis but always on the side of over-worrying about my babies. I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would worry about the d*mn ambulance before their child. Wacked.
Yup.

My son is 13, my little girl is 8, about the ages of the children in this story. It makes me realize that, even though they are "older" kids, they're really still just babies at that age and the whole situation could have ended up very tragic, if the original poster hadn't heard the commotion and called 911.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#28 of 66 Old 03-20-2009, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post
But the OP said she runs a daycare and couldn't leave all those kids. IMO- the OP didn't have any other choice than to call 911 when nobody could reach a parent.
I'm not even the one who called 911. I didn't go over there at all. I looked outside, then called another neighbor and she went over. She called 911 because the little girl couldn't close her mouth and it was bleeding on the inside and outside of her mouth.

The little girl is doing great. Bruised, has stitches, and will still need some dental surgery for a while, but otherwise, she's doing well.

We haven't seen ANY of the kids all week after that incident. Not one single kid. I think they've all been sold.
#29 of 66 Old 03-20-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
We haven't seen ANY of the kids all week after that incident. Not one single kid. I think they've all been sold.
To help pay for the ambulance bill. I'm glad she's doing great. Poor baby.
#30 of 66 Old 03-20-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldamomma View Post
eh, if I knew the family well, I might just put the kid in my car and take her to the hospital myself.
If you don't know the family well, or they didn't think they knew you as well as you know them, you'd be setting yourself up for a kidnapping charge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page