very verbal 2.5 yo suddenly stuttering - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-16-2002, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I've been trying to figure out the best place to post this, I hope this is a good choice. My little one will be 3 in Sept. and has been communicating more clearly than all her playmates for awhile now. She talks in paragraphs, articulates clearly and has amazing recall. In the last few weeks she has started stuttering. First it was just "w" sounds at the beginning of words, and it was kind of odd and cute. Now it is lots of different sounds, "th" "l" and new ones every day. She is doing it more and more, and it takes more tries to get the word out. It's only the first sound in the word that she repeats over and over. Sometimes she goes for a long time without stuttering, and other times she does it many times in a conversation. It doesn't seem to frustrate her, but she does sort of screw up her face and work hard to spit out the words sometimes. It also doesn't seem to be stress or performance related. She loves to communicate with us.
My partner and I just started talking about it in this past week, it turns out my mom has been noticing it too. We don't do babysitters or daycare, so we haven't had input from anyone else. This has come on so fast that my once a week playdate friends wouldn't have noticed it yet last week, but will certainly be aware of it this week. I'm looking forward to being able to discuss it with them, but I'm sensitive to talking about it in front of Liv (dd) because she hears EVERYTHING, and picks up on it all.
I read a previous thread on this, but wanted to post our particulars and see if I could get any input. I don't want to create an issue where there isn't one, if it is a phase, but I also don't want to let something develop that will be harder to deal with later rather than sooner. I have a pediatrician that I trust and respect but Liv is getting really shy around people that are not in her daily world, so I can't imagine that anyone like that will be able to get much insight into her. Any experience or words of advice out there? This is just such a big noticeable change, and such an unknown area for us. Weird how it emphasizes our own pride, we're kind of staring it in the face. Everyone tells us constantly how incredibly bright and amazing she is, what an advanced talker, etc, etc. Now we're wondering how peoples' perceptions will change and affect us all if she develops a speech disorder.
Thanks for wading through this long post, I'm up late thinking about this and so glad to have a place to bring my concerns and questions. This (along with the demise of my long time resource hipMama ) has finally got me register here at Mothering, so I'm thankful to be here.
#2 of 8 Old 04-16-2002, 08:32 AM

i just noticed yesterday that my dd who is 3 now,stuttered on the word I...I....I....I...I...I...I
I am not kidding -over & over,like she could not get it together in her head to get it out of her mouth.
I thought ,wow maybe she is going through a phase of language growth-too many words to choose from?
I will see what happens.

::
momma to 4
#3 of 8 Old 04-16-2002, 09:39 AM

My son began speaking at 7-8 months. We all joked that he spoke like a computer - deep voice and pronounced Everything completely.

At about 3-4 he developed a lisp. The pediatrition recommended I get him into a program to be evaluated.

What they told us was realy interesting. The said that lately his brain is working faster than his ability to verbalize. They didn't think he had a speach problum and felt it would just go away on it's own. By age 5 his speach cought up to him and the lisp was gone.

I'm so thankfull for the professionals who actually knew and understood. We didn't have to do any fancy exercises or anything. The pediatrition didn't seem to happy about the findings though!

You may want to ask your pediatrition. Or call the local school - they have programs for pre-schoolers with speach problums and can at least evaluate your son. That's the rout we went and it really was helpfull.
#4 of 8 Old 04-16-2002, 10:18 AM

I've heard that this is a developmentally appropriate thing to happen at this age; in a child who previously has been talking with no trouble and begins to stutter at 2.5-3 yrs., it's a phase. I think that it might have something to do with having more language than they can express... does ythat make sense?
In general, I think that it's not considered a "problem" unless the child has never expressed themselves clearly. My very verbal 5 y-old when through this the fall before she turned 3. It was tough to watch her struggle, but my doc just said relax, and she'll come through it. It was amazing. One day, a swirch turned on and she was stuttering (the I..I...I.. sounds like Delia) and some months later, the switch turned off.
#5 of 8 Old 04-16-2002, 03:19 PM

We are just experiencing the same thing. My ds is almost 27 months and has always been a TALKER! Suddenly the last week or so he has started stuttering mostly when saying "I" also. It was interesting to me that it seems that he has only been saying I (as opposed to ME do this) for a few weeks. My father has a stuttering problem, so this has had me a little worried. I feel much more at ease now. Thank you all. I love this place.
#6 of 8 Old 04-16-2002, 06:57 PM

We went through this last summer when dd was just 3. I may have posted in the previous stuttering thread. We took her to a speech therapist. From him we learned that stuttering can become a pattern and stopping it involves learning new speech patterns.

Basically we started by just acknowledging the stuttering. We talked about it with dd as her "sticky" words. When she began repeating or blocking (straining to hard to get a word out that no sound comes out at all), we would immediately interrupt with "oops, that's a sticky word. Say ____ smoothly." This was all done in a completely non-judgemental way. There were no "bad" words or "hard" words. Eventually she got to where she would interrupt herself and say, "hey, that's a sticky word!"

A certain amount of stuttering is a completely normal part of speech for children. The I I I I I I I I I and W w w w w where are very common. The blocking is something to be a bit concerned about. Whatever you do, it is important to discuss this with the child as something that can be fixed and that you will help her to do it. Kids know when this is a problem, even if you don't discuss it around them, so you bringing it up can be a relief to them that it is not something to be ashamed of.
#7 of 8 Old 04-18-2002, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all of you, it helps just to not feel alone. I still don't have any resolution about what to do, or not do. I can't figure out if I should ignore it or try to talk to her about it. For now I'm just observing and trying to gather as much information as possible. I think it is so important just to pay attention to the individual needs of our particular children. If she starts seeming frustrated or stressed then I will definitely take action of some kind.

Here's an interesting thing. We went to our friends' house for our weekly playgroup today, it was just us two moms and our 3 kids and although I got to talk about it a lot with my friend, Livie never stuttered once in the 5 hours that we were there! She did it before we went and as soon as we got home. Granted, she doesn't talk nearly as much when we are around others as she does when it's just us, but it did seem like a marked difference.

Another thing is that in the last week she has suddenly started screeching at the top of her lungs every single time things don't go her way. She was a screamer from 11-18 mos, and then grew out of it as she started talking. Now she is doing it all over again, when she was just starting to get really good at saying "that makes me sad" or "that makes me mad" or, my fave "that cries me!" Instead now she just looks at me and starts screeching, and then a lot of the time she goes into our shared bedroom and shuts the door behind her. Are these two communication things connected?
#8 of 8 Old 04-18-2002, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, and of course she didn't scream the whole time we were at play group either but has done it about five times in the 2 hours since we got home!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page