would you let a 3 year old play alone in a securely fenced back yard? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2012, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My yard isn't fenced so I can't actually let my almost 4yr  and almost 6 yr olds outside totally unsupervised but...

I do let them go play outside right in the back yard while I sit at the dining room table (the dining room has french doors that look right out into the back yard). I keep the door cracked open so I can hear what is going on and the rule is that they have to be within sight and hearing. If I have to go to a different room for some reason, where I cannot see or hear them, they have to come inside. If my yard were fenced I would have no qualms at all about them being out there with a less supervision although I think it's likely that I would still want to keep a door or window cracked so that I could hear what they were up to and wouldn't be comfortable not checking on them regularly.

Mom of two, Rosie Girl born 4/2006 and Tractor Boy born 2/2008. Wife to The Master of All Things Wood. Occasional doula and aspiring midwife. Selective vax,  positive discipline, and homeschooling. Committed to living a healthy, sustainable, and mindful life. treehugger.gifhang.gifhomeschool.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That is exactly what I thought. Just make sure you truly can trust your neighbor!! I thought I knew mine! I had my dining room table by the window too and back door open!

User Tag List