July 05 ~ the Spring chat - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 05-23-2010, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow - I missed this thread the first time around last year - so thanks to Shana for keeping me in the loop!
I won't write too much, but instead direct you to my blog for info on the kids - I haven't been updating as much as I used to, but I am still doing an update every couple months with the big important stuff...
In a nutshell:
Rosie is loving preschool (montessori) and will be going to local public school in fall for kindergarten, but still not sold on the public school system (much like Shanana). She learned to ride her 2 wheeler with encouragement from Shanana's M (and a generous loan of the balance bike). No loose teeth yet, but she checks almost every day. She started soccer and I don't really think it is her game, she is distracted and more concerned with waving to me during games. We are going to try dance and gymnastics this summer to see what she likes.
Sammy is a handful and is my sensitive, whiny, needing a cuddle all the time guy. He throws a tantrum at the slightest thing, I just finished re-reading "raising our children, raising ourselves" and I am trying to give him more control, and validate his feelings instead of trying to rush him out of his tantrums. He started going to pre-school with Rosie a couple mornings a week (at his request) - but I think it might be contributing to the whining.

I am back to selling real estate, just working with one or 2 clients at a time, not really bringing in a lot of money right now, but every little bit helps. I am hopefully going to add in teaching a few more yoga classes as well.

Dh was diagnosed with Celiac Disease a year ago, and then Rosie and I got tested for gluten intolerance antibodies recently and we came back positive too, so our whole family is now on a gluten free diet. It is a little challenging sometimes, but we are adjusting and I think we are all going to be healthier for it.

We will be taking off next weekend (memorial day - holiday weekend in US) to a family wedding in Asheville, NC - a long (10 hour) drive for us, hope the kids don't get too cranky. Hoping to get a little relaxation time in for DH and I this weekend as well...

Ewe, so sorry to have not kept in touch, I do think of you and your little ones often and wonder how you are. We have been toying with the idea of moving to southern Spain. It is still in the dreaming stages, and DH has ideas of work that will let us be financially independent, but still a ways to go to get us to that point...

Perdita - congratulations on your new little guy!
Shay, Valerie, Pellifoli, Cherubess, etc. - so great to "see" you all again!

namaste.gif
Chelsea - proud mama of my Rosie 7/05 and Sammy 7/07   homebirth.jpgnovaxnocirc.gif
#32 of 45 Old 05-23-2010, 02:20 PM

Valerie, yep, the kids and I are taking a magnesium supplement . I've been working with a local herbalist since last fall, and he is amazing!!!! He said virtually everyone is magnesium deficient because our soils have been stripped of it. So even in foods that are "high" in mag, people still aren't getting enough. He's not big into supplements (preferring instead to get nutrition / healing from foods and plants/herbs), but that's one of the few he advises, in addition to CLO and vit D (all of which we're on).

On a really good note, I finally seem to be relatively cured of my insomnia . Seeing the herbalist seemed to be the final piece of the puzzle for me. I really feel like the work I've done with the homeopath/healer I've been seeing since shortly after M was born helped me deal with the underlying causes of the sleeplessness, but I still wasn't sleeping . I talked to the herbalist and he described how some people's bodies just can't switch out of the fight/flight response even when the stimulus is removed (especially those who have been in that state since childhood, which was likely the case for me). So we used some herbs to help "reset" my body, and whoa baby, I'm sleeping better now than I have in 20 years!!!! It is so awesome!

And yeah, I turn 39 this year and am still trying to find my way . For now I am trying to have patience and acceptance, and trust that I'll figure it all out eventually .

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#33 of 45 Old 05-26-2010, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Chelsea, can you have almonds? (there's so many nuts allergies around - I prefer to ask) I have a decadent brownie recipe using almond flour and almond butter (no grain). It's so good and nutricious that it's a very good substitute to sandwiches at lunch!

Shanana Yay for the cure to insomnia!

Any of you on Facebook?

Valérie   
#34 of 45 Old 05-27-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valérie.Qc View Post
Chelsea, can you have almonds? (there's so many nuts allergies around - I prefer to ask) I have a decadent brownie recipe using almond flour and almond butter (no grain). It's so good and nutricious that it's a very good substitute to sandwiches at lunch!

Shanana Yay for the cure to insomnia!

Any of you on Facebook?
Valerie, I would love to have the recipe too! I'm trying to get started transitioning more to a traditional foods diet, so I'm trying to just avoid grains whenever I can!

I am on Facebook but never really go there - I can't figure out how to do it in moderation . I have everything set really private, but if someone wants to PM me their email, I can send an invite. That's the only way I know how to do it .

#35 of 45 Old 06-07-2010, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Recipe:

1/2 Cup Almond flour
1/2 Cup Almond butter (can use other nut butter)
1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Cup Chocolate Chips

Mix everything, pour into a 8X8 dish lined with parchment paper. Bake on 350F for about 25 minutes (till the center of the cake is firm)

You can use Honey or another syrup but the result won't be the same; I tried a few thing and our favorite is the maple syrup.

If you don't have Almond flour, you can leave it out and use 1 Cup of Almond butter for the recipe.

Beware: these brownies are addictive!

Knowing what I'll be when I'll grow up: there's movement on that front!
I've been asked to write for an online magazine (in French) that will start in September! It's a little project that won't make me rich over night but may open many doors!

5th Birthday: what do they want and what do they'll get??? Want to share?

Valérie   
#36 of 45 Old 06-08-2010, 10:17 AM

Oh my Valerie! That recipe sounds delicious, thank you!

And what exciting news about the writing opportunity .

5th birthday ... there have been no gift requests (yet), but every day she wants to know how many days are left (and since she's at the end of the month, she has a while to wait yet ). I bought a stomp rocket for a friend's birthday a few months ago, and got an extra one for M to give on her birthday. Beyond that I haven't thought much about gifts. I'm hoping you guys have some inspiration!

We attended the orientation for M's kindergarten, and I was really impressed. I know the school won't be perfect, but I feel so much relief that she got in to this one. I felt really depressed after going to the orientation for what would have been her school if she hadn't won the lottery for this one (which I found out had over 400 applicants! Again, only 37 names drawn, I can't believe she got in!). It was nice to leave this orientation and actually feel excited for the fall.

#37 of 45 Old 06-08-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

for the school!!! I'm happy for you and for M!

Valérie   
#38 of 45 Old 06-15-2010, 07:51 AM

Hi girls - so ds has finally decided on the theme of his party - I only do parties for 1, 5, 10 years - he's going to be 5 - it makes life so much easier, anyway we're having a pirate party and asking the kids to dress up - although i'll bring some extra bits and pieces with me - we'll do some face painting, pass the parcel, musical bumps and statues, a treasure hunt - the treasure being some chocolate gold coins, the cake will be a pirate ship or a treasure island, not so happy with the games - anyone got any idea with party games to make sort of pirate-ish although we're having it outside and I'll have my ipod with me - it's not too loud faced with a bunch of girls and boys - not sure how to get the music etc there unless I just splash out for some batteries for our cd player - which I'm not too keen on. I am being really stingy if I don't do party bags at the end? I hate those things and you just fill them with crappy rubbish unless anyone has some good ideas, although for dd we made homemade playdoh - I'm not sure anyone really appreciated it - that sort of thing isn't really there yet here in France!! lol Awaiting your wonderful ideas!! Think I may post this in the forum too, I'll see .....

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#39 of 45 Old 06-15-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Aaaaaah pirates!

For goodies: squares of fabric to paint and create their own bandana?

Games:
-painting/decorate a pirate flag
-a team race where you pass the pirate hat to the next person in your team
-a game where you have to put your hand in jars/bowls filled with strange substances to find parts of a puzzle or prisonner's eyes (there are balls that looks like eye balls)
-have the kids make little paper boats and have a boat race in a kiddy pool.
-you can create a giant game for trowing little sand bags by hanging a sheet where you cut holes (can't remember the name of the game)

Valérie   
#40 of 45 Old 06-15-2010, 03:24 PM

Valerie - thank you great ideas - definitely going to do the bandanas, not sure I'll be able to do the pool but you in scotland when I was little we used to spend the day down the beach collecting wood, string and shells and the like then we would build a little raft/boat and send it off to sea before we left - wonderful memories and then once we inspired a whole town to take part in a raft race - someone saw us all with our rafts that we had built with the kids and decided that it would be a good idea to do the same but with the whole village - anyway back to pirates, definitely will do the racing with the pirate hat or maybe a parrot that has to be attached to the shoulder - hmm has me thinking ...
I LOVE the idea of the hands in different substances and eyeballs and my kids would love it but the french have an innate fear of getting dirty - lol, not sure that the kids or the mothers will take to that one - lol they already think I'm mad!!
Sand bags - yeah I can do that - thank you so much for the ideas - you're inspiring me now!!

#41 of 45 Old 06-16-2010, 10:05 AM

Ewe, I'm horrible at planning parties, but it sounds like Valerie had some good ideas! I bet you guys will have a blast!

#42 of 45 Old 06-16-2010, 02:10 PM

Wow what great ideas.

Anyone have any ideas for a backyard party with a group of boys/girls of very disparate ages? DD wants her cousins and friends to come to her party - so the cousins range in age from 9/10 year-old girls down to a 7-year-old boy, and one almost-1, and there's also a 2.5 year-old girl and a 3.5 year-old boy in there too... I don't think we're going to do a theme.

For activities, I thought we could do a bead table (I think the older girls can still enjoy that?) and maybe crack out the Polly Pockets? I can get out some toddler toys for the 1-year-old. I'm at a bit of a loss for the younger boys though... maybe we'll buy a water/sand table - I've wanted one anyway. We have swings and a slide....

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#43 of 45 Old 08-08-2010, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

How did it all go???

Since DD's birthday was on the ball game day, I brought cupcakes for all the kids there and they sang Happy Birthday to DD and everyone had a good time! I went up to a few parents(3 families) to invite them and their kids to an impromptu BBQ at our house after the game and they all came and had fun till late that evening! We were 7 adults and 11 kids from 5 to 12. I had made a decadent Chocolate and Rasberry cake with dark chocolate ganache. Yummy!

DD got a pink volleyball, tools for the garden and new markers and was very happy!

The new school year is coming fast and I'm late in my planning. There were some unplanned events that delayed my work in that area.

Writing gig: I'm working on my second article. The new magazine is suppose to launch on August 23. I'm excited!

And now, on to YOUR story.

Valérie   
#44 of 45 Old 08-16-2010, 04:49 PM

We had a nice time - family and some friends from the neighborhood. Chelsea and her kids would have been there but they were out of town. M got a new (bigger) bike (I love craigslist!), a marble run (Discovery Toys Marbleworks - I love craigslist!), a tutu/petticoat skirt thing, a stomp rocket, some books and a few other things. She had a great time and loved all her stuff. Then Chels came over the next day and brought her a pinata and the girls got to play for a while. All in all it was a lot of fun and she really enjoyed it. She asked me the other day how long before she turned 6, lol.

#45 of 45 Old 08-25-2010, 12:36 PM

Goodness, we've been away for 6 weeks in scotland - ah wonderful beautiful scotland - how I do miss it all, so much freedom for the kids - anyway we're back in france again!! Postponed Kian's party until after the end of Rammadan - it's too complicated beforehand, although they had great birthdays in scotland Kian wants one with his friends - going to orgqnise that in the local park - the theme keeps changing but we'll get there eventually.

I haven't read all the posts yet but will do and post again, see how I get on time wise I haven't unpacked yet!! travelling is getting more and more complicated with luggage restrictions now - goodness I could kill some of the airlines - lol

Anyway hope you are all well and have had a good and exciting summer - will post later on.
ewe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page