Picking out clothes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 04-14-2009, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At what age did your LO start choosing what they wanted to wear the next day or that day? DS is 3 and I feel he's at the point where he could start doing this. Just curious.

Thanks!
#2 of 34 Old 04-14-2009, 02:52 PM

My oldest started doing that at 2. My youngest is nearly 3 and for the most part, doesn't care. He can't dress himself at all either, while my oldest could for the most part at this age.
#3 of 34 Old 04-14-2009, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My 7 yo does not care. He's pleased when I pull out a "cool" tshirt for him to wear. He likes his camouflage pants. But he prefers if I just hand him something to put on. At 3, he had no interest in even putting them on, himself. He'd step in if I held things out.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#4 of 34 Old 04-14-2009, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I never saw any advantage in encouraging my kids to do this before they insisted on it. It's not like it would make my life easier - just the opposite. I'd have to deal with the kid taking a long time to decide, or choosing something that was inappropriate for the weather or the day's activity. And I'd either have to let the kid wear weird looking stuff that didn't match, or spend a lot of time discussing matching and arguing about what was okay to wear.

DD didn't start having much of an opinion about what she was wore until she was 5. Now she's 6, and sometimes picks out her own clothes, but sometimes I still pick them out for her. (Sometimes she objects to my choice and offers a different suggestion. And she often takes it upon herself to change several times a day, into different dresses and dress-up outfits.) DS is 3 and hasn't shown much interest in picking out his own clothes. He may argue about whether he wants to wear pants at all, but not about which pants he should wear. (He has insisted on wearing shirts from the dress-up bin over his regular shirt a couple of times recently, though.)
#5 of 34 Old 04-14-2009, 03:44 PM

i dont remember at what age i let my kiddos pick out their clothes- but i think 3 is a good age to guide them into picking their clothes. Instead of giving them 100% control, you can either give them choices (pull out 2 shirts and ask which one they would like to wear) or let them pick out their shirt and turn it into a learning session and then ask them which pants/shorts will match their shirt. At any age- its easier to get their clothes ready the night before.

I know people say to pick your battles and its not worth fighting over them wearing polka dots and stripes... but i feel that its best to teach them early how to dress nice instead of just picking something out of the closet/drawer and throwing it on.
#6 of 34 Old 04-14-2009, 03:55 PM

My 6.5 year old could care less - and I must admit, I like it that way. Much easier to just pick his clothes out and tell him to get dressed.

He does care very much which shoes he wears, so I'm very careful when we go shopping to make sure he gets shoes he's going to like and wear. But beyond that, I still pick out his clothing each morning.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#7 of 34 Old 04-14-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
My 7 yo does not care. He's pleased when I pull out a "cool" tshirt for him to wear. He likes his camouflage pants. But he prefers if I just hand him something to put on. At 3, he had no interest in even putting them on, himself. He'd step in if I held things out.
Ha! My ds was the very same way. In fact it's only been in the past year or so that I could tell him to get dressed and have him actually do it.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#8 of 34 Old 04-14-2009, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
My dd's started dressing themselves about 3--but my ds just never cared.

At 6, almost 7, he does dress himself fom school. And would happily wear the same pair of jeans and a sweatshirt EVERY SINGLE DAY. I rotate his t-shirt stacks in his drawer so that he wears a bit more of a vareity. He is just not into clothes.

My girls, on the other hand, have both gone through "creative" dressing stages from 3 on.

Mama to three crazy kids and one crazier dog.  biggrinbounce.gif

#9 of 34 Old 04-14-2009, 04:56 PM

My DS 4 can dress himself (socks too!), but could really care less what I put out for him to put on.

Most of the time I pick out two shirts and let him choose which one he gets to wear or ask him if he wants to wear jeans/shorts or sweat pants. Very, very, very rarely does he ask for a specific item unless he's just head over heels in love with what's on it.

Course, jammies are a whole other story....Lol....before we get IN to the bathtup he knows which pair is going to be put on!!

Center
#10 of 34 Old 04-14-2009, 04:58 PM

from about 2.5? She picks some interesting outfits some times! It is not really a problem except she has certain items she won't wear. She has never once put them on her body and I can't convince her to do so. That is annoying!

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#11 of 34 Old 04-14-2009, 09:46 PM

Most days 3yo DS really doesn't care.

There have been moments though. There was the day he wanted to go to school in PJs. We compromised, he wore his PJ top with blue jeans on the bottom. He occassionally expresses some interest while we are buying cloths. This unfortunately includes deciding that all winter coats are too hot, since we were trying them on in a heated store in september instead of the playground in january when he would need it. He has also made more reasonable request, like wanting Cars underwear, or an ABC shirt he wanted.

The times that DS ends up dressed the worst though is when I let DH pick out his cloths. I ended up at the mall with DS wearing very colorful PJs with a pair of shorts and a hoody over them.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#12 of 34 Old 04-14-2009, 10:11 PM

6 year old really does not care, except if he picks, it probably has trains on it. 3 year old definitely cares and will totally refuse to wear something I pick if she does not want to. VERY strong-willed child. I do however, insist on something weather appropriate and that it comply with her school uniform on school days. But if she wants to wear purple rainboots with her leotard in the care on the way to gymnastics? Or a purple shirt with different colored polka dots and pink and orange gingham shorts to the grocery store? So what! I just need to take more pictures of her in her interesting combinations so that she can remember them as a teenager.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#13 of 34 Old 04-15-2009, 12:20 AM

My 6YO DS just started. He could care less about clothes and just grabs the first thing he sees. If I am in his room and grab something for him to wear, he'll put it on - no complaints.

My 4YO DD is the total opposite. She will not wear anything I pick out for her. She has to pick her own clothes out. She will not listen to any advice I have for her ("Honey, it's snowing outside, you might want something warmer" when she is wearing a tank top, skirt, and flip flops). It's pretty cute to see the different outfits she wears.
#14 of 34 Old 04-15-2009, 12:24 AM

Now that I have read all the replies - it is interesting to see the gender difference. Just about all the boys could care less what they wear and just about all the girls have definite opinions from an early age.
#15 of 34 Old 04-15-2009, 12:54 AM

DS started getting really picky about what he wears at 2.5(he turned 3 in January) There was a point where he would only wear khaki pants(oh, the stain removal issues!) and a few shirts. He is starting to get a little more easy going again, but still a little particular.

Mom to DS#1 and DS#2 fencing.gif
#16 of 34 Old 04-15-2009, 02:03 AM

I started DD out by giving her 2 choices. I don't remember how old, but definitely by 3. Now she chooses independently.
#17 of 34 Old 04-15-2009, 02:36 AM

I still pick out their outfits... and my oldest is almost 10... :

I just recently let her pick out a few items at the thrift store that I hated. I'm kind of a control freak about stuff like that. She does love it, though (I'll stop when she wants to put her own things together). DS couldn't care less - one less thing for him to do.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#18 of 34 Old 04-15-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermama View Post
At what age did your LO start choosing what they wanted to wear the next day or that day? DS is 3 and I feel he's at the point where he could start doing this. Just curious.

Thanks!

thankfully my kids both have to wear uniforms to school so we don't run into this issue at all. for regular non-school clothing, i allow my kids to pick out their own clothing and have for quite some time now. thankfully we've never run into any issues.

i should have prefaced this with the fact that my kids are older. dd is 11 (will be 12 next month) and ds is 9 (will be 10 in july). dd wants to be a fashion designer, so she does a good job of helping her brother pick out stuff too.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#19 of 34 Old 04-15-2009, 03:58 PM

Just starting to now at 4!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#20 of 34 Old 04-15-2009, 04:02 PM

My 4.5 year old recently started dressing himself and expressing an interest in choosing what he's going to wear. I'm so happy to not have to dress him anymore that I usually just let him wear whatever he wants unless it's not appropriate for the weather outside.
#21 of 34 Old 04-15-2009, 05:29 PM

4yo doesn't really care which clothes he'll wear, and I usually put out an outfit for him. Occasionally he'll choose if his shirt got wet and he wants to change it, and he can usually change clothes all by himself.

2yo sometimes really has an opinion on what clothes he wants! Some days he just goes with whatever I choose, some days something in the drawer catches his eye and he insists on wearing it.
#22 of 34 Old 04-15-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsellCandles View Post
... i feel that its best to teach them early how to dress nice instead of just picking something out of the closet/drawer and throwing it on.
But that's how *I* get dressed!
#23 of 34 Old 04-15-2009, 05:37 PM

we started around 3 with letting them pick out. now i just say its going to be cold so we need to wear pants. I also pack away summer/inappropriate clothing until the right season, i dont have time to see my 5yo come down in shorts when its 10 degrees out. because it will take another 15 minutes to explain the problem and get him to put pants on. If everything in their closet at the time is something they can put on then its not an issue, and really who cares if they match (unless we're going to some sort of event) as long as theyre happy wearing it its their clothing.

Katie, Enjoying my time with my love Josh:, kiddos Kendel '01 and Xander '03 and our furry beast Sherman '08:
#24 of 34 Old 04-15-2009, 07:33 PM

2 or 2.5. She wears the same basic 3-4 outfits(her faves) and people keep giving us tons of nice clothes because I think they think she doesn't have much.
#25 of 34 Old 04-16-2009, 09:42 PM

my 3 y o has always been pretty decisive so on the average day, he wears whatever i grab for him or something he has asked for (Cars t-shirt) or sometimes he's in jammies half the day. i put outfits together and hang them in his closet for him to choose from for school. i don't get up with him and he and daddy put some terrible stuff together if left to their own devices!

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#26 of 34 Old 04-17-2009, 11:43 AM

For school, my stepdaughter chooses from outfits. Both DH and I feel that it is important to dress nicely for school and family events. She dresses herself on weekends when we don't have plans. I pick out DS' clothes, but he is still pretty young.

love.gif

#27 of 34 Old 04-17-2009, 01:08 PM

My daughter has picked out her own outfit every day since she was 2. My mom picked out cllothes for ME until I was in high school, though. I was just lazy.
#28 of 34 Old 04-17-2009, 05:35 PM

I started giving my dd some choices in what she wore starting around age 2 and by around 3 she was dressing herself completely independent of me. Occasionally, if I have specifications for her clothing, I have to help.
#29 of 34 Old 04-17-2009, 11:43 PM

My DS is 40 months and has no interest in picking out his clothing for the day. But I also don't ask him...usually, what he wants to wear. Even if I did ask, I wouldn't go beyond what top does he want to wear. I enjoy being able to decide what he wears each day. Heck, I would dress (decide on clothing) DH if he let me.

~*Heather*~
Wife to J 9/00 Mama to K 12/05
#30 of 34 Old 04-18-2009, 02:26 AM

I think both of my kids both started picking out their own things from their closets abuot 3 years old. At the store, we debate, because I am sort of a prude and don't want any High School Musical or Sponge Bob Square pants on my 4 and 5 yo, but if it is in their closets, they are free to pick whatever, unless it is something that will be too cold, too hot, etc.

They don't always match, but that doesn't bother me at all. If they have a day that they don't want to pick anything, I get something out for them. I sometimes think it is fun to see what they choose. My dd can come up with some humdingers! lol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page