Board games that the adults like to play too? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 04-27-2009, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Oh, I remember one I used to love, but I never see it in stores. It's called Scrutineyes, and you get placemat-style mats with intricate pictures on both sides -- one side is cartoonish and the other side is more artistic. Then you somehow figure out which letter to search for (maybe there's letter dice or something? I can't remember), and search for everything that starts with that letter on your mat. It was so fun, I'll have to see if I can find it online!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#32 of 42 Old 04-27-2009, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we played sorry a lot as kids, but my sister was prone to holy screaming flip the board tantrums if she got sorry'd, so depending on your kids personality, it might not be such a good idea, lol

my ds is only 18 months, but im looking forward to playing games with him. i havent even heard of half of these

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#33 of 42 Old 04-27-2009, 08:03 PM

i saw a couple pp's mention 'blokkus'. we played this game with our lo's from about three onwards. we opted to NOT play competitively, but rather we play co-operatively- not trying to block the others from getting all their pieces on the board, but working together to get all of everyones pieces on the board... no easy task even playing co-operatively i prefer the co-operative game even when playing with all adults now

chinese checkers is geat too... we havent really played many 'childrens' games...

hth~v
#34 of 42 Old 04-27-2009, 11:19 PM

Cooperative game, Harvest Time, it's so cute, I love it, but I do like to garden, lol. Also Mystery Garden is a good one. Those are the two least annoying to me right now.
#35 of 42 Old 04-27-2009, 11:51 PM

I didn't read everyone else's replies, but I did see that someone mentioned Carcassone, and I have to second that. My son is 4 and loves to play Carcassone. Obviously, he's not as competitive as, say, his mother, but he enjoys it and we help him along. The nice thing is, if he gets bored with it (it can sometimes be a long game--especially if you play with expansion packs and, really, why bother if you aren't going to pull out a couple expansion packs?!) he can just drop out without affecting the rest of the game. We can still finish the game if he decides, like he did last night, that he'd rather quit and go design his *own* board game with paper and oil pastels.

Where more kid-centered games are concerned, we're on a HUGE Guess Who? kick right now, and my 4-year-old is loving it. Even my 2-year-old loves playing along and just asking the questions that her dad or I prompt her to ask.

We just taught our son Connect Four, which is also a good one.

Memory is always fun, too. We really like that.

The best "kid game" we own, though, is a Haba game my son got for Christmas last year. It's called Tier Auf Tier, and it's a stacking game with little wooden animals. We love it. We also like Socken Zocken--another Haba game--but we haven't gotten into it as much as Tier Auf Tier.
#36 of 42 Old 04-28-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivvysue View Post
i saw a couple pp's mention 'blokkus'. we played this game with our lo's from about three onwards. we opted to NOT play competitively, but rather we play co-operatively- not trying to block the others from getting all their pieces on the board, but working together to get all of everyones pieces on the board... no easy task even playing co-operatively i prefer the co-operative game even when playing with all adults now

hth~v
Playing blokus like that actually sounds harder than playing blokus competitively. When I play with DD, I typically help her find spots for her pieces when we get to the really hard part where everything is all blocked off. I sort of pretend like I need her help, too, when it's my turn. Then, when there's nowhere else for either of us to go, I don't bother counting up squares and declaring anyone a winner. I kind of imply that we're both losers, like "Oh no, game's over. There's nowhere to go!"
Playing blokus online is fun, too. When there's nowhere to go, it just throws you out of the game, which is nice because it lessens the frustration kids might feel, searching in vain for a spot.

Mandy, mother to Alexandra (10/14/05) and William (12/21/07)
#37 of 42 Old 04-29-2009, 05:38 PM

it is sort of how you describe the 'help me find a spot' way you are already playing...except we all try to help each other find the spot and try reallyhard not to put our pieces in a spot that would block another play in future moves.
we dont add up the squares in the end either, it is just the end of the game.
we do all shake hands and thank each other for the great game when it is over, :giggle that part i love, to see my lo's all shaking hands and being good sports and players :happysigh

v
#38 of 42 Old 04-29-2009, 09:48 PM

We are a major board game family....
Dd is 5 and into these ones...as are we!

!!!!Mankala!!!!:
Jenga
Memory
Scrabble
Crazy Eights (Cards)
War (Cards)
Connect Four
Hangman
Checkers
Headbands
Guess Who
Bananarama (a word game)
Boggle

Basically we don't have any *kid* games, just ones that we all play together. We have a game almost every night in the winter...
This spring we have found ourselves playing cards on the deck lots of warm evenings after our walks.

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#39 of 42 Old 04-29-2009, 11:44 PM

Scrambled States of America -- we play it with DS who's 5 1/2. Honestly, I could play it every day And Zingo is pretty fun too....
#40 of 42 Old 04-29-2009, 11:51 PM

I LOVE!!!!!! Amazing Labyrinth. It is my all time favorite game.
#41 of 42 Old 04-30-2009, 12:01 AM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
We like
Blokus, Qwirkle, chinese checkers & uno.

I can handle Guess who and guess where also. I also like shut the box.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#42 of 42 Old 04-30-2009, 12:12 AM

My mom has played Sequence, checkers and Guess Who with Alivia.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page