Adult Teeth Erupting Before Baby Teeth Fall Out - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2009, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is happening to DD1 (who will be 6 in June). I wanted to take a picture and post it, but I didn't.

Her adult teeth are already through on the bottom in the front directly behind her baby teeth.

DH looked it up and said it's fine, but I thought I'd ask if this happened to anyone else... She goes for her bi-annual visit to the dentist next month.

Other tid-bits about DD1:

She got her first teeth at 4 mos. old.

Her baby teeth have no spacing and we were told that she will probably need braces because the adult teeth will have no room and will crowd.

Did this happen to anyone you know?

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's actually pretty common and has happened to both my kids and a lot of kids I know. Is the baby tooth loose? If so, I would encourage her to wiggle, wiggle, wiggle the baby tooth to get it out.

The only time it's a problem according to our dentist is if the baby tooth is still solidly in place. But, if it's loose then the root is no longer in tact and not really a problem. Just wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:48 AM

It happened to me, twice actually. Only once did I end up having to have the baby tooth pulled. The other two (both at the same time) eventually fell out and the adult teeth moved into their propper place.

It's perfectly normal, and not really something to worry about unless as the PP stated, the baby tooth isn't loosening at all.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 04-28-2009, 02:03 AM

The dentist pulled ds' baby teeth when this happened.

The adult teeth showed on the xrays, but the baby teeth were not loose at all. He wanted us to call them if the adult teeth broke through in the next couple of months. Well they did the next week and they had us come right back in. They pretty much fell into place once the baby teeth were gone.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:45 PM

Happened here too and his baby teeth did fall out. However, the adult teeth came in completely crooked and we've been told a few times we'll need to see an orthodontist soon because there just isn't room. One of his other adult teeth still hasn't come in and the baby tooth fell out months ago.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:07 PM

This just happened to my 6.5 year old, and I thought it was pretty weird, too.

She has one adult tooth very much in, behind one of her bottom baby teeth. The baby tooth is now loose (as is the one next to it), but nowhere near falling out.

She also got her first teeth early, but I'm not sure if there's any connection. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
Old 04-28-2009, 01:08 PM

Oh, and . . . I told my daughter she was getting teeth like a shark (they have two layers of teeth, basically) and she thought that was really cool. Maybe your daughter would like to hear the same thing!

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
Old 04-28-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy1019 View Post
Oh, and . . . I told my daughter she was getting teeth like a shark (they have two layers of teeth, basically) and she thought that was really cool. Maybe your daughter would like to hear the same thing!

I told my daughter the same thing, she thought it was pretty cool. They fell out on their own within about a month and the adult teeth pushed forward into place just fine.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

One of the two front bottom teeth are loose, but doesn't seem like it will fall out anytime soon

I hope they don't end up having to pull them.

Quote:

I'll have to tell her that!

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
Old 04-28-2009, 03:50 PM

I had one tooth that came in before the baby was gone & it is the only crooked tooth in my whole mouth! Apparently the baby wasn't going anywhere, so the adult had to come in behind it. If it is loose, try to get that baby gone! If it doesn't seem to be going anywhere, I would get it pulled before the adult comes in too far.

I hate this one tooth & wish my parents had taken me in to get the baby pulled. Someday when I am finished fixing my kids' teeth, I will probably have it fixed, but it would have been nice to head it off at the pass years ago.

Good luck
Old 04-28-2009, 05:46 PM

This happened to me, I had to have the baby teeth pulled -- since your DD is going to the dentist w/in a few weeks I would just wait until then. I know my teeth weren't pulled for a few months in case they loosened on their own.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:56 PM

My adult teeth were trying to come in but were shifting into the wrong places and colliding because the baby teeth were still solidly in place. I ended up having 6 teeth pulled, but then everything came through just fine. (Mine are still a bit crooked because I had an extra tooth in both baby and adult sets, but that's a separate issue entirely.)

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Old 04-28-2009, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
My adult teeth were trying to come in but were shifting into the wrong places and colliding because the baby teeth were still solidly in place. I ended up having 6 teeth pulled, but then everything came through just fine. (Mine are still a bit crooked because I had an extra tooth in both baby and adult sets, but that's a separate issue entirely.)
Hmmm... So that has me thinking that maybe if she gets some pulled, to allow more room, they'll come in straight, and she won't
need braces?

Old 04-28-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
We called DS' teeth like that his "Sharky Teeth" too!

Our dentist said as long as they were bottom teeth and the baby ones fell out within a few months, there was no problem. Apparently, it's not a problem with the bottom teeth because your tounge naturally rests against them, so when the baby teeth finally fall out the adult teeth are pushed forward very quickly. It's a bigger deal with the top teeth because there is not that same pressure pushing them forward. DS lost both of his baby teeth and his "sharky" teeth came up and forward just like they were supposed to. Of course, he thought he *really* had Sharky Teeth and just asked me a few weeks ago when he was going to get another set.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belchers1 View Post
One of the two front bottom teeth are loose, but doesn't seem like it will fall out anytime soon

I hope they don't end up having to pull them.

I'll have to tell her that!
Encourage wiggling... It will help the baby teeth loosen up.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 04-29-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belchers1 View Post
Hmmm... So that has me thinking that maybe if she gets some pulled, to allow more room, they'll come in straight, and she won't
need braces?
I would say no -- I had to have 4 adult molars pulled to make room in my mouth, and still had to have braces. They can't pull them early enough to prevent the overcrowding and crookedness. Or at least they couldn't back then. (yes, I have just 24 teeth!)

I am hoping hoping hoping DD has gotten DH's teeth....
Old 04-29-2009, 10:54 AM

My ds1 lost both of his bottom teeth just after the two adult ones came in behind. It is very common (at least from the other kids I know). As a child I needed to have 4 adult teeth pulled to make more room. Thankfully, both ds1 and dd1 seem to have lots of space in between their baby teeth so I'm hoping it won't be an issue with them.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Old 04-29-2009, 11:59 PM

that happened to my dd recently-i told her the shark tooth thing, too-she loved it she told everyone she saw she had a shark tooth her baby one came on out pretty easily after the big one began to be visible. my dh actually had to have his baby teeth pulled out at age 8 or something, bc they weren't coming out/weren't loose at all.

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
Old 04-30-2009, 01:54 AM

This is happening again right now to my son (he is almost seven) it happened with his first tooth too.

His dentist said that they have to be pulled if the baby teeth don't fall out by the time the adult tooth is even with the baby tooth.

DS is convinced that the dentist made his tooth come out by magic because he didn't feel a thing. His dentist also told him the tooth fairy pays extra for teeth that have to be pulled by the dentist, so he has no problem with me making another appt.

His first tooth came in when he was about 7 months old.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

Old 04-30-2009, 02:06 PM

This happened to my oldest dd too, we called her mighty sharky Her baby teeth didn't fall out for another 8 months or so. I did have her see a dentist at the time and he was unconcerned. Told me it was common, who knew! Anyway, her teeth are fine now

mum to a crew...
Old 05-01-2009, 01:55 AM

this happened to my DD (7). It was her two front bottom teeth. The dentist looked at it and said it was probably fine to leave them, but offered to pull them. DD was comfortable with that, so we decided to go ahead and do it. Her baby teeth were not loose AT ALL and there was some concern that, due to that fact, it could interfere with the surrounding teeth if we left them in to loosen and fall out on their own. She was a late teether and just lost her second tooth (naturally) a few months ago. She didn't have this issue with the others.

She had no issue with having them "wiggled out". (seperate days, mind you. She went back for MORE, willingly. I don't get this kid sometimes. Lol)We have a WONDERFUL ped dentist who is fine with not doing flouride, flouride free toothpaste, etc. He was very good with her and that made all the difference.

Samantha, Student, wife to my best friend (1.30.09) Mama to three beautiful daughters and and a handsome little son
Old 05-01-2009, 02:33 AM

I had to have 7 baby teeth pulled because of this. I got and lost my teeth late.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:05 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

We just discovered last night while examining dd's loose tooth that both her bottom incisors are about half way through behind her baby teeth!  I'm not sure how this happened without us noticing sooner!  But at any rate, both baby teeth are somewhat loose- one more than the other.  I've been encouraging her to wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, but I'm afraid she'll have to have them both pulled.  greensad.gif  But it sounds like maybe not?  Maybe we can keep wiggling them until the adult teeth are even with the baby teeth and then they'll need to come out?  For those of you that went through this, how was the pulling process?

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 05-10-2013, 05:39 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We just went through this. One of his bottom teeth was very wiggly and he had a new tooth coming in. He had a cleaning scheduled the dentist encouraged us to pull both bottom teeth. He was able to see the second tooth. The very wiggly tooth came out simply. The second, less wiggly two took a couple of pulls. DS was given and made the decision to do it and he was fine throughout. I thought the results looked horrifying big gaps and I instantly regretted it. Mouth "wounds" always look terrible ykwim? But within 24 hours it wasn't bed looking and within 48 hours it wasn't even noticable. Also, within 48 hours the second tooth really showed.

In short, it was a good choice and it wasn't a big deal. Plus, the tooth fairy gave $5 for two first teeth which delighted DS.

User Tag List