How often do you bathe your child? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm talking about a kid who goes to school on weekdays, plays outside a little but does not get filthy and is not involved in any sports. The child will not hit puberty for quite a few more years, so no body odor issues. How many baths/showers a week would be typical?

love.gif

#2 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 05:48 PM

:

Once a week. Sometimes I realize we miss a week, and then it's once every 2 weeks. In the summer I try to go for 2-3 times a week, but will confess that sometimes their 'bath' = running through the sprinkler.

My kids don't stink. They wash their hands and faces after lunch/dinner. They wash their feet before bed if they're running around without shoes/socks. They change their underwear and socks daily, if they're wearing socks. If I notice they're starting to smell (dd is 4, going on 5, and sometimes doesn't wipe well), then they get a bath that day.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#3 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 05:50 PM

Same as Lynn.

I was going to answer "whenever they are dirty enough" but sometimes I even miss it then They get a good face and hand washing before they go to bed, and sometimes feet as well if they've been playing in the garden.
#4 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 06:03 PM

For cleanliness purposes? Rarely. Once a month maybe. I just don't see the point unless they're smelly or visibly dirty. The littles do get in the bath often just because they like to play in the water -- at least a few times a week.
#5 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrogirl View Post
Same as Lynn.

I was going to answer "whenever they are dirty enough" but sometimes I even miss it then They get a good face and hand washing before they go to bed, and sometimes feet as well if they've been playing in the garden.
:

In the winter when we're in all the time, the kids can go a week or two (maybe sometimes more Spring/Summer/Fall we're out a lot, and its usually 3ish times a week, I'd guess.

Amy, knit.gifwife to Luishola.gif, Mama to Taye (6), Darius (4), & Mya (2.5)  jumpers.gif and friend of Lola dog2.gif
Awaiting our Grand Finale, Haven Xavier in July 2011 ****5****10****15****20****25****heartbeat.gif****35****stork-suprise.gif
#6 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 07:57 PM
crl

Once a week here too. He does get in the pool twice a week for swim class and we have to shower before and I make him shower after to rinse the cholorine water off. But even when we aren't swimming he still takes a "real" shower just once a week.
#7 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 08:22 PM

We pretty much stick to every other day. I want her to be used to that sort of a habit because as she gets older she'll need more frequent showers- she also gets a scary mop head without a regular scrubbing. :P
#8 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 08:26 PM

Once a week for cleanliness, sometimes closer to two weeks. If they ask to take a bath, they can, and since DD1 is learning to swim, she likes to get in the tub and practice putting her head under water. But *I* scrub them down about once a week.

During the summer, much more often than that for DD1 because she runs around the neighborhood all day every day and does play in the mud!

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#9 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 08:29 PM

We do baths every night, but not usually with soap. Soap maybe once a week? The bath is the first step in our bedtime winding-down routine, though, so it's more about sleepy signals than cleanliness in our house.
#10 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 08:43 PM

We do baths every other night but in reading this I wonder if we can extend it a bit?

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#11 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 08:47 PM

We've got allergies and one kid has asthma related to that so we do a bath anytime we've been outside that day right before bed. So spring to fall it's almost every day it seems.

Otherwise just whenever we seem to need it clean wise. If we've not been outside due to rain (or in winter when the outdoor allergens aren't a factor) I don't know...3 or 4 days average I think. By a week I think hair here looks sort of dirty no matter what we've done/not done.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#12 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 08:52 PM

Every few days or as needed. Not really on a schedule. Maybe with soap once a week. If I notice a smell, it is automatically bath night
We may need to do a nightly foot wash this summer if she is running around barefoot a lot.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#13 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 09:07 PM

My 6yo has some BO going on so when his armpits are stinky, it's bathtime, but usually in the summer they are dirty enough to need baths every day-- they get covered head-to-toe in dirt, face, feet, arms, legs, it's just obvious that they need it.
#14 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 09:08 PM

DD is nearly 4 and I bathe her pretty infrequently in the winter. Mostly if she wants a bath, or as others have mentioned, when she stinks. In the summer it's a lot more often as she is often covered with sunscreen, sweat and not-so-thin layer of dust and/or watermelon.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#15 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 09:39 PM

Another once a week around here too. Glad I'm not alone. I've gotten some funny looks for that response before!

This time of year when we are doing a lot of gardening and their is a lot of playing in the brook but not much actual swimming yet it will often be 2x a week. I'll wash their hands feet a million times though right now! In my dreams there is an outside shower faucet where the hose is in the back of my house by the sunroom door that you can just run through for 30 seconds. Can't you see it there? I can!
#16 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 09:53 PM

We try for twice a week here. Now that spring has arrived we'll see how dirty everyone gets.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#17 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 09:55 PM

Daily (mostly just playing in the water), a true bath about 3 times a week.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#18 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 10:00 PM

Every day in our house, we have a large tub with jets, the boys love it and all kinds of toys - it's really more like a swimming pool for them than getting clean. We have all kinds of little boats and toys and it gives me a break as they entertain each other.

Katherine, SAHM to 2 little princes
#19 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Huh. Maybe I am expecting too much. I try to get both kids a bath twice a week. More if they are dirty.

I, for the life of me, could not figure out why my stepdaughter's mom seldom gives her a bath when she is there (she lives with us one week, then her mom the next with the odd extra day or two at our house). She arrived yesterday with greasy, matted hair again and told me that she didn't have a bath all week. But if her mom subscribes to the once-a-week theory, then that would explain it. She could just leave all of the baths up to our house.

love.gif

#20 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Once a weekish. Ds likes more baths in winter (to warm up). I've been trying to up the baths lately because of seasonal allergies. In the summer, I ask that he wash his feet before bed if they look dirty.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#21 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
Huh. Maybe I am expecting too much. I try to get both kids a bath twice a week. More if they are dirty.

I, for the life of me, could not figure out why my stepdaughter's mom seldom gives her a bath when she is there (she lives with us one week, then her mom the next with the odd extra day or two at our house). She arrived yesterday with greasy, matted hair again and told me that she didn't have a bath all week. But if her mom subscribes to the once-a-week theory, then that would explain it. She could just leave all of the baths up to our house.
And hair washing about once a month.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#22 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 10:19 PM

every night. they are very active, and after running around playing outside at the park/beach/indoor kid places, they are sweaty and dirty and NEED to bathe. it's part of our nightly routine, too, and they like it

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#23 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 10:25 PM

Wow! I am so glad that we're not alone in our rare baths. Within the last few months I have made an effort to make sure he gets a bath at least once a week. Before then, it was probably every two weeks. But I have recently discovered that playing in the bath is one of the few things that he can do by himself (with me keeping an eye on him) for a long time-he can happily play in the tub for an hour. So he has now been getting tub play at least twice a week. But not necessarily w/soap every time.

~*Heather*~
Wife to J 9/00 Mama to K 12/05
#24 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It was twice a week until very recently but now DD1's hair gets really greasy faster so it's been 3 times a week.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#25 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 11:03 PM

Every other day in the winter, every day in the summer. We might not use soap on his whole body every time but we always wash the essentials (face, hands, feet, butt and penis) Plus make sure to wash his hair once to twice a week. I agree with the one poster about setting up a routine for DS to get used to for the future. I remember going to school as a kid and it was obvious to me which kids didn't bathe as often as needed.
#26 of 67 Old 05-02-2009, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
once a week here too. maybe more.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#27 of 67 Old 05-03-2009, 12:24 AM

2-3 times a week. My kids play pretty hard and get really dirty when they are outside, plus DS does soccer 2 days a week and with all the rain, he has been so muddy.
#28 of 67 Old 05-03-2009, 01:50 AM

Every other day at home plus 2 times/week after swimming.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#29 of 67 Old 05-03-2009, 02:01 AM

Every other day, usually. Lately...it has been about once a week. During the spring and summer though they play so hard and get so dirty that they HAVE to take a bath before bed...I am talking mud and dirt covering every single square ince of their body.

I do want them to get used to some sort of routine for when they get older though, so I need to get back to the if not every day, then every other day routine.
#30 of 67 Old 05-03-2009, 11:09 AM

My girls take showers every morning. The only wash their hair once a week. On the other days, they just rinse their hair and put a little conditioner in it. But, we live in the Phoenix area so they are hot and sweaty a lot and they do a lot of outdoor activities.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page