First UTI in a 3.5yo girl - further testing warranted?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-02-2009, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our daughter, 3.5yo, just had her first UTI. We think it came about from her pooping in her pullup (which has never happened before, although she does frequently pee and sleeps so soundly that it's hard to night potty learn with her). We're pretty sure she sat/rolled around in poop all night long and my dh said it was aaaaall in the cracks and crevices, very hard to clean out.

We took her to the doc, saw a PA who gave us a rx for antibiotics. She's feeling 100% better now but we got a phone call from the peds office saying that since dd had her first UTI before she was 5 they want to do "further testing". I'm assuming they mean an ultrasound and/or VCUG, right?

I'd consent to an ultrasound, but NOT the VCUG. She only had the one infection, and it's probably from the poopy pullup causing bacteria, right? They haven't returned my call - from 4 days ago - asking what further testing. But what other possible testing is there?

Is this testing warranted? From everything I've heard/read, dh and I say absolutely NOT. Maybe if she experiences more than 3 or 4....but not after her first one.

What do you think/what would you do?

Kier: wife to Jared, mama to Emma ('05), Savannah ('07), and our newest little love Reid (June 30, '09) -intact because of all of YOU! I had an ecstatic birth, at home in the water!
#2 of 13 Old 05-02-2009, 10:06 PM

No. Dd had 3 before she turned 3, but hasn't had any since. With the 3rd, they mentioned the possibility of further testing if she had any more. i'd take a wait and see approach.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#3 of 13 Old 05-02-2009, 10:07 PM

no no and no. not needed, not waranted and not a good idea.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#4 of 13 Old 05-02-2009, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for the quick replies!!! it feels good to be validated!

Kier: wife to Jared, mama to Emma ('05), Savannah ('07), and our newest little love Reid (June 30, '09) -intact because of all of YOU! I had an ecstatic birth, at home in the water!
#5 of 13 Old 05-02-2009, 10:28 PM

I'm of the opinion that many dr's are overly cautious these days. They don't get sued for things they do that are unnecessary, only for things they don't do that are.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#6 of 13 Old 05-02-2009, 10:51 PM

Another vote for wait and see.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#7 of 13 Old 05-02-2009, 11:25 PM

One UTI in 3.5 years is not a reason for further testing.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#8 of 13 Old 05-02-2009, 11:30 PM

Wait and see Mama. If they are recurring and such then go ahead with testing, but not until your fed up with her getting them... if that happens. DD1 just went through all kinds of testing and several procedures. Her UTI put her in the hospital, and she had several in a row and was leaking urine. Otherwise, I wouldn't have even taken her in to the doc.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#9 of 13 Old 05-02-2009, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

I absolutely hate taking our girls to the ped. We don't vax and haven't been following the well checkup schedule. And I've been stressing a bit about this UTI and "further testing" crap - and they haven't even bothered to call us back about it!! I'm not chasing them down just to tell them NOPE, not doing it.

*end rant*. lol...feeling quite pregnant tonight.

#10 of 13 Old 05-02-2009, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
Wait and see Mama. If they are recurring and such then go ahead with testing, but not until your fed up with her getting them... if that happens. DD1 just went through all kinds of testing and several procedures. Her UTI put her in the hospital, and she had several in a row and was leaking urine. Otherwise, I wouldn't have even taken her in to the doc.
Oh, I'm so sorry your dd has to go through this! Would you mind talking about your experience a bit with your dd's UTIs and the route you've taken? I feel most comfortable hearing stories from MDC mamas, not mainstream ones.

#11 of 13 Old 05-03-2009, 08:56 AM

I just want to second, doing more testing on a 3.5 yo who has had ONE uti seems very unnecessary to me
#12 of 13 Old 05-03-2009, 09:06 AM

I would not get the testing. When I saw the title, my first thought was that maybe she wasn't wiping well enough after using the toilet. The super poopy pull-up could definitely have caused the infection. It doesn't seem right to put a little girl through a bunch of possibly invasive medical tests because she pooped her pants.
#13 of 13 Old 05-03-2009, 10:32 AM

Is she peeing frequently after the infection cleared? My girl at the same age never had a UTI, but started peeing frequently- like every ten min. or so. We did the VCUG and she did have urinary reflux level 3 on one side- the mainstream treatment is antibiotics long term to prevent kidney infection and damage. We chose to use a combo of probiotics, cranberry extract and echinachia (sp) instead, which worked well until she outgrew it.

If she has reflux the kidneys could get infected very quickly in the event of an infection. You must be on your game to catch an infection (we have the strips at home to test immediately if suspected), encourage frequent peeing, lots of water, NO red dye (kidney and bladder irritant) and good bathroom hygine.

The VCUG is horrible and traumatic and the only diagnostic tool. I will pm you the details if you decide to get it. I would probably get it if she has another infection just to keep an eye on it. Kidney damage is no joke and I would fee terrible if my daughter had damage I could have prevented.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page