What does your three - four year old eat on an average day - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 05-28-2009, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think growth spurts are pretty erratic too. My 5year old didn't grow from November to April and in the last month has grown almost an inch! I know this because she has been wanting to mark her height on the wall almost every day!!! :
#32 of 43 Old 05-28-2009, 04:50 PM

Sometimes chubbiness in little kids truly is just "baby fat". I was chubby until age 6 or 7, then got super skinny as a teen. Now I'm average. Similarly, my niece was chubby until age 10, then suddenly slimmed down.

Globetrotting mama to DS (9) and DD (6)
#33 of 43 Old 05-28-2009, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 4.5 yo DS is just now thinning out, and very quickly. He was very toddlerish/chunky a year ago, and I also wondered about his diet as I saw many of his peers getting slender. Now I think he is (and was) exactly where he should be on HIS growth curve.

There's a ton of variety in how kids grow. If your DD is active (sounds like she is) and getting a healthy/varied diet (sounds like she is) I think the very best thing you can do is not worry.
#34 of 43 Old 05-28-2009, 08:24 PM

My DS is 4, weighs 19.4 kg (42.7 lbs) and is 111.6cm (43.9 inches) tall. According to the chart I got from his school, he's pretty normal. His typical day of food:

Breakfast: 1 c rice, 1/2 fish fillet, 1 egg, 1/4 c nori. . .he eats a lot for breakfast

Lunch: small Japanese obento (rice, soup, fish, pickles, fruit, salad, etc. . .but all in a very small obento box).

After school (he's starving): rice triangle filled with tuna or salmon salad, crackers and egg salad, cottage cheese, fruit, raw carrots with mayo dip. . .he honestly picks all the way to dinner

Dinner: 1/3c grain, 4 oz meat or fish, at least 5 veggies (like 5 broccoli heads, or 5 green beans), small salad or raw veggies, maybe 3 gyoza

After dinner: 2 c popcorn (or chips, or crackers, or whatever we have to munch on)

We are amazed at how much he eats in a day. . .but he is also very active. At school they play outside a lot and do a lot of exercises, dancing, running races. . .when he gets home he likes to run, climb, ride his bike until dinner. Then after dinner he and DD chase each other a lot until she goes to bed. Then he usually stays up until 11pm (he hates sleep) and has pretend playtime while watching children's TV or listening to music.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#35 of 43 Old 05-29-2009, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD is nearly 3.5, weighs about 31lb and is 36" tall. Here's what she had today:

Breakfast: 6 Ritz crackers, 1/3 of thing of vanilla yogurt, and 2 bites of an English muffin

Snack at school: about 3 crackers and a couple strawberries

Lunch: 2 bowls of miso soup with tofu chunks, maybe 1/4 cup of yakisoba noodles and 1/2 cup of yakisoba-cooked vegetables (cucumber, brocoli, carrots...)

Dinner: 1.5 plates from a salad bar with cottage cheese, peas, ham bits, baby corn, and mandarin oranges on each; 1 hardboiled egg; maybe 1 tbsp of sunflower seeds; 1.5 slices of pineapple (maybe as much as 1.5 cups... it was fresh and she was in love with it); 2 bites of a dinner roll; 1 ice cream cone (without ice cream)

She'd normally have had a small afternoon snack but we were in a rush getting DH to the airport this afternoon and it got skipped.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#36 of 43 Old 05-29-2009, 10:08 AM

My son is 31/2 and weighs 33 lbs.(i think) He seems average to me.

Breakfast is usually one of the following.He pretty much always has a smoothie too.
toast with pb or almond butter
waffle
cereal

Lunch is usually some chicken,soup,or pasta. He is not a huge fan of sauce so I usually do it with olive oil and veggies mixed in.

Dinner can be fish,chicken,pasta,etc. It really just depends on the day.

Lately he has been eating great but other times he eats like a bird!
#37 of 43 Old 05-29-2009, 07:18 PM

My just-turned 3 year old eats pretty typically for his age, I think. All he wants is carbs, and he doesn't like anything to be mixed together. This is really throwing a wrench into my preferred one-pot meal style of cooking.

He's on the thinner end of the healthy weight range--about 45% weight for age, but because he's tall he's around 33% weight for height.

Note--my family eats omnivorously, and I've really started to notice how many meat & dairy products we eat. I wouldn't suggest modeling your nutrition on ours, and we're trying to change it. I think we eat healthier than a "typical" American family, but not as healthy as we should.

Also, my kid probably still has some reflux left over from infancy, so he still prefers to eat small amounts every couple of hours rather than bigger meals.

Breakfast: a small bowl of cereal and a cup of milk or 2-3 smallish pancakes with 1 slice of bacon and a cup of milk. In the winter it's oatmeal or polenta occasionally.

Snack: fruit and sometimes a stick of cheese

Lunch: Sometimes dinner leftovers, sometimes a turkey and cheese sandwich, sometimes just homemade sweet potato fries. Usually only about 1/3 c of food total (enough to fit into one of those small kid bowls). Another cup of milk.

Snack: his top preference here is always crackers. I suggest (and model) more fruit or veggies and it works about 1/2 the time.

Dinner: whatever we're eating. For the last few months he pretty much hasn't liked any dinner I've made. We have a "try one bite" rule that so far rarely works. When he does like dinner it's invariably when it's something starchy like homemade mac & cheese or other pasta. When he enjoys it he eats about 1/3 - 1/2 cup of food. Another cup of milk.

Bedtime snack: often yogurt with applesauce, blueberries, banana, or strawberries added. Sometimes just fruit. Sometimes dinner leftovers if he didn't dislike dinner.

He loves most grains, fruits, and beans. Sometimes he goes on a protein kick and asks for turkey for lunch and salmon for dinner, but that's rare. The only veggies he'll eat right now are corn, frozen peas (still frozen), potatoes and sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and artichoke ravioli.
#38 of 43 Old 05-29-2009, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My 4yo is in about the 40th % for weight and the 70th % for height. This is what he ate yesterday:

Breakfast: 2 small pancakes, yogurt, raspberries, OJ

Snack: cucumbers & cream cheese, water

Lunch: half of a turkey & cheese sandwich, crackers, small apple, milk

Snack: string cheese, carrots, water

Dinner: chicken (drumstick), artichoke, rice, milk

Snack: graham crackers, milk

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#39 of 43 Old 05-29-2009, 10:05 PM

My DD is 3 year, 2 months and is a super picky eater. We're vegan. She does seem to consume large quantities of foods that she likes, and only recently stopped getting breastmilk, so I'm trying to remember to give her more snacks. She used to eat a great variety of fruits, and some veggies, but we're gone through a serious rough patch, and are slowly working our way back to eating well again. Here's what she ate today:

- very large bowl of oatmeal cooked in water (probably 3 cooked cups) with a large dollop of almond butter and agave as sweetener. She ate half for breakfast and half for dinner.
- 1 banana
- 1 larabar (dates and apples and nuts)
- 2 blueberry oat muffins
- a bit more than half a cup of hummus
- 1 bite of grapefruit and a few spoonfuls of the juice

Yesterday she ate about 5 large banana buckwheat pancakes over the course of the day, about 1 cup of smoothie (watermelon, pineapple and raspberries) and several dates.

She's 36" and weighs almost 31 lbs.
#40 of 43 Old 01-02-2013, 05:36 PM

I'm having the same issue. I've tried everything! My DD just turned four. She is tall for her age and about 50 lbs. My husband and I do not have weight issues, but height is in mine (I'm the shortest @ 5-3). I do not know what to do. An average day she has a bowl of cereal for breakfast. For snack an apple. Lunch- a half of sandwich (egg or jelly), with either yogurt or her favorite combination of blueberries, strawberries and grapes. She has a snack again before dinner, maybe a cookie with milk or a banana. Dinner -a kid sized portion of what we make and then is wanting to eat again We are not mac and cheese/hot dog people and never make ham burger helper etc. She usually drinks, apple or orange juice, 75% diluted with water. She asks for more food all day, planning her next snack while she's eating. I need help too!! Considering a nutritionist :(

#41 of 43 Old 01-05-2013, 04:48 PM

DS eats eggs or cereal and eggs for breakfast. If both my kids just eat cereal for breakfast they turn into munchers...just want to snack all day. If I can get plenty of protein into them in the morning, they tend to eat better and less often. Snacks are raisins, peanut butter or fruit. We don't do crackers or bread that often because they get addicted and won't eat anything else. Lunch is usually salad with a protein on top or leftover dinner or as a special treat, pbj on gf bread. Dinner is some sort of meat, veggie and starch, either rice or potatoes. Every once in awhile we'll do gf pasta. DS drinks about 2 cups of milk per day.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#42 of 43 Old 01-06-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post

She's also had problems with constipation pretty much her whole life, which is why she gets apples and grapes every day and a bit of some kind of juice in her water - it's also why I limit things like cheese.

I know this is a relatively old thread, but if the child is constipated, apples are NOT a good choice. They're constipating in and of themselves.

#43 of 43 Old 01-07-2013, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

My 4yo is in about the 40th % for weight and the 70th % for height. This is what he ate yesterday:

Breakfast: 2 small pancakes, yogurt, raspberries, OJ

Snack: cucumbers & cream cheese, water

Lunch: half of a turkey & cheese sandwich, crackers, small apple, milk

Snack: string cheese, carrots, water

Dinner: chicken (drumstick), artichoke, rice, milk

Snack: graham crackers, milk

Ha!! Oh man, it's funny seeing this lovely, well-balanced entry from so long ago -- I wish I could get either of my kids to eat like this nowadays! The above entry was from when my DS was 4 (he's 8 now and has always been a great eater, except it's tough to get him to eat veggies these days) -- my DD is now 4 and this is what she had yesterday:

Breakfast: half of one Eggo waffle and a few bites of banana

Snack: a small handful of cheese crackers and a big cup of milk

Lunch: 2 bites of turkey sandwich, a few apple slices, string cheese

Snack: A quarter of her turkey sandwich leftover from lunch

Dinner: 2 bites of chicken enchiladas, a big helping of fruit salad, half a green bean, milk

Ugh! 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page