What does your three - four year old eat on an average day - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 05-22-2009, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
And are they in the normal weight range? I'm not asking for specifics, but just generally what does a normal day look like with your 3 - 4 year old child. There have been a few other threads about kids/weight/food and I'm really struggling with my little one. I just want to know what other kids are eating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 43 Old 05-22-2009, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, let's see... her diet hasn't changed much over the past couple of years... for breakfast we'll usually have some oatmeal and a banana or grapes or something along those lines... she's not a big breakfast eater. We're also feeding a 17 month old too, so most breakfasts and lunches are for both of them.

For lunch I'll make pasta or sandwiches, both of which she eats a good deal of. If I'm making something like pasta, I'll add shrimp or another seafood or meat on the side. Sandwiches are usually just served with chips.

And she drinks milk allllll day - girlfriend loves her milk.

Dinner is a crapshoot. We don't have stringent rules at dinner, so I may make her something special if she doesn't eat what the rest of us is eating - I'll make her a dog or a burger or grilled cheese or more shrimp or something. With four kids, I often make different meals!

Autumn is small, in my opinion. I don't know what she weighs becuase it's been forever since we've seen a doc, but she can comfortably wear some bigger 24 month clothing, but mostly 3T.

We allow pretty much unlimited snacking here in our house - some of it healthy, some of it not. We're okay with sugar snacks and things like that, and all of my kids enjoy them without having weight issues. They're all on the slim side, now that I think about it.

Is that much help? LOL! I guess I don't think about what any of them eat on a daily basis, I just feed 'em til they stop!

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#3 of 43 Old 05-22-2009, 06:34 PM

My ds is 4.5 and doesn't eat much!

For breakfast he has one weatabix, then 2 grapes or 2 slices of apple for a snack, then a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch. Dinner..maybe pasta (about 7-8 pieces of penne fills him up) He may also have a couple of yogurts during the day plus a glass of milk and a glass of fruit juice.

He seems satisfied with this although all his friends seem to eat about 3x what he does.
He is about 15kg at 4.5 (he has been the same weight for about a year I think although he has got a lot taller).
#4 of 43 Old 05-22-2009, 07:26 PM

Breakfast: scrambled egg/fried egg, toast & pb, oatmeal w/ maple syrup, cereal w/ a banana

Lunch: usually leftover from supper -- otherwise, grilled cheese, pasta, veggies and dip, apple or some other cut up fruit

Dinner: She must try everything. She usually eats very little -- maybe 1/4 - 1/2 cup of food total.

Before Bed: a small bowl of nuts and raisins.

ETA: She also has at least one snack of some sort during the day -- fruit, granola bar, crackers, etc.
#5 of 43 Old 05-22-2009, 08:14 PM

Breakfast : small bowl of cereal with milk, or a piece of wholewheat toast with butter or peanut butter, or a dish of fresh berries.

Lunch : half a grilled cheese sandwich with half an apple, or half a soft shell beef taco with six or so baby carrots and a few grapes.

Supper : half of a raw bell pepper sliced up and half of a hamburger, or half a cup of pasta and some diced cucumber and tomato, or eight or ten bites of steak with some raw cherry tomatoes and a half cob of corn.

Drinks : The girls normally drink whole milk with meals, unless there's red meat, in which case they do get orange juice (usually the vitamin fortified Tropicana).

Snacks : half a banana, slice of full fat cheese, container of yogurt, handful of raisins, Sun Rype fruit bar, piece of watermelon, a few grapes or cherry tomatoes. Something as large as a granola bar either doesn't get finished or is enough to nearly replace a meal.

Breakfast is usually finished, lunch isn't too bad, super is the worst meal and often I throw out a lot of what was on their plates. Lately the kids haven't been eating a lot of snacks, but i think they all just finished a growth spurt. I also find that they both eat more food in total if they have fewer snacks. They suffer from "three bites is enough to take the edge of my appetite, so I'm done eating."

Our second DD is will be four in September and is legitimately thin. Her bones are tiny. She is nearly 40 inches tall and probably about 35 pounds. Our oldest DD is probably about 39 pounds, though I don't think she's quite there yet. She just turned five and is 43 inches tall. She wears a size slim in jeans from Osh Kosh and Circo, though to be honest, I think she looks more average than slim. It makes me worry where we're going to find pants for her sister in a year or two.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#6 of 43 Old 05-22-2009, 08:41 PM

DD is 3.5 and usually has

breakfast:yogurt with cereal in it, or pancakes (2 or 3 silver dollar size) or a small bowl of oatmeal
snack: some kind of small fruit serving or a hard boiled egg or muffin,
lunch: half a peanut butter sandwich, which she doesn't always finish, a few carrots, some cheddar bunnies
snack: cheese and crackers or a small fruit serving or a probugs kefir drink
dinner: small serving of meat, 2 small servings of veggies, some kind of little dessert (about 3 times a week)
#7 of 43 Old 05-22-2009, 10:23 PM

DD2 was 4 in April, and mostly hasn't eaten for about 9 months. She's the lightest eater, but in the same weight range (average, 50%) as my other two.

She eats 1/2 to 1 egg and 1/2 piece of toast for breakfast with about 4 ounces of milk.

She eats best at lunch- 3 bites of chicken, 4 carrot sticks, 1 bite of salad, 4 apple slices.

Dinner- almost nothing, maybe a piece of toast, maybe 1/2 bowl of muesli.
#8 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 12:12 AM

DD just turned 4. Right now she's eating oatmeal for breakfast every day, but up until recently she didn't really eat breakfast, she waited until mid morning and snacked on fruit, or cheese and crackers etc.

She gets OJ at breakfast, milk at lunch and dinner.

She eats a veggie at lunch and dinner, and fruit for snacks twice a day.

She goes through phases before a growth spurt where she eats more, but most of the time not huge portions of anything except pasta. She loves pasta and will eat as much as I'll give her it seems.

I buy her 3-4 yogurts for the week. She loves cheese and will eat some every day.

Kidney beans she loves and eats a couple times a week, chicken, ham or pork, eggs all about once a week.

Sorry for the disjointed reply, I should be sleeping!
#9 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 12:50 AM

DD is 3, 30 lbs 36 in.
Breakfast is a bowl of cheerios with a glass of milk, sometimes she will have 2 or 3 bowls, sometimes she will have 1 - 2 yogurt tubes as well
Morning snack varies, sometimes nothing, sometimes a snacktrap full of crackers (if we are out)
Lunch - if at home turkey sandwich and fruit, or peanut butter and apples if at DH's work cafeteria (a college dining hall where we eat 1-3 times a week), fries, ice cream, sandwich or pizza.
Afternoon snack - more yogurt tubes, peanut butter and apple or another bowl of cereal with milk (she often requests "breakfast" several times a day). She tends to eat at least one snack a day between lunch and dinner
Dinner - whatever we are having for the most part - popular foods are pasta, pizza, fries (oven baked), rice, cous cous, bulgur, chicken (baked or nuggets), fish sticks (she and I eat those while DH eats salmon), bread (she won't eat a hamburger or bbq chicken so she just eats the roll). Broccoli, carrots, corn on the cob and canned baby peas are the only veggies she will eat.
For drinks she always has a choice of water, juice or milk. For the longest time she always picked water, for the last couple of months she has been drinking tons of milk, very recently we have had OJ in the house (as opposed to juice boxes), so she has chosen that a lot lately.
Treats - chex mix and oreo cookies are very popular right now

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#10 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 12:59 AM

mine will be 5 next week but on an average day she has 2-3 apples or bananas, 3-4 carrots, 1-2 pieces of bread w/butter, 1-2 bratwurst (no bun) saurkraut, and whatever we eat for dinner.

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#11 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 01:56 AM

My 3yo is a very good eater (as opposed to her older brother who is terribly picky). She'll have a french toast and a half-veggie sausage with OJ for breakfast. Maybe some pasta and broccoli and juice for lunch. She will eat a good dinner too- fish/tofu, rice and greens. She's on the small side but I think she's extra healthy.
#12 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 02:06 AM

Typical foods for my 4 yo-he's 39lb which is think is average?:
Breakfast-usually a waffle or an egg
Snack-a good size piece of cheese or a whole piece of fruit
Lunch-half sandwich with more fruit
Afternoon snack 1-some crackers or a granola type bar
Afternoon snack 2-baby carrots and hummus or half a container of yogurt
Dinner: Usually part of a serving of grain, protein and most of a veggie serving
Evening snack: yogurt or frozen blueberries, sometimes a sorbet bar

He usually drinks water, tea or juice cut with 50% water. And when he's growing through a growth spurt he will sometimes wake at 4am for more to eat.

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#13 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 02:07 AM

Today ds ate:
breakfast:two bananas, a cereal bar,
snacks: a cheese stick or two, some grapes
lunch: a serving of a cheese/noodle/beef/veggie casserole
dinner: crackers (he was offered more, but that's all he ate)

DS is 3 years, 8 months old. He's only 30-31 lbs.
#14 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 04:00 AM

AT 3 years 10 months:

BREAKFAST OPTIONS:
* oatmeal and sliced fresh fruits topping or dry fruits and nuts topping
* pancakes
* crepe with cottage cheese
* Farina or tapioca cooked in milk
* french toast
* boiled or scrambled eggs and toast

LUNCH OPTIONS:
* hamburger from natural beef that is home grainded, letuce,tomatoe
whole foods bread slice, carrots..
* grilled cheese sandwich
* sanflower and rapsberry jam sandwich and some fruits
* sandwich with ham and or cheese
* breakfast links and some veggies like carrot, radish, peas..

DINNER:
* mostly meat and patatoes dinners that we eat plus some veggies of season.
* home made hash brown patatoes, sunny side up egg.. and some ham
(breakfast really but loves it for dinner)
* we don't do much of a pasta as it is just bad habit and empty callories
as it is mostly dry grains that used to be a plant years ago.. and lost
most of it had to offer during the shelf life :-) then was processed and cooked so we are talking plain fuel here.. so she has it sometimes but
only very occassionally.. when we get lazy... or nothing else is around :-)
* soup with lots of things going on in it borderline of stew..

My DD eats breakfast very late.. some 2 hours after waking up as she nurses a lot on a wake up so that kills her apetite for good. I stopped chasing her for breakfast as I just go with the flow and she will eat when she is ready, at least till we nurse I know that she is just sattisfied. Then she eats the breakfest on her terms with apetite.

Lunch is on the same terms, she is ready then she eats depending how much she ate for breakfast.. but it is kind of slow.. starts fast and slows down as one of pp noted.. :-)

Dinner is welcommed always with entusasm.

Guilt trip:
we do sometimes MC D although it is super bad and yacky but
sometimes we are out in town and long and she won't look at
much anything else so we give in..

we do let her have any sweet snacks she wants as we usually
have lots of dry fruits and kind of healthy options candies
or gummy bears made of real fruits form whole foods store..
or raisins in youghurt.. as above..

I like sweets in moderations, I think that brain needs sweets
and if she wants some she gest them, I first offer fruit and
most of the time it is enough or she will have both.
she is not abusing sweets, so I think it is healthier then
forbidden fruit as people in later life go on the binges..
I never had it forbidden as a kid and I never have any
wild cravings.. aside from pregnancy :
I like small sweet something and it is never always..
and never big and I can do without.. and it is not
everyday anyways but maybe few times a week at most
and we are talking a candy or two.. oooooooops it is not about
me ;-)

#15 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

It sounds like my daughter's diet is pretty average. She gets a lot of activity. She's still overweight. I really have no idea what to do. I thoght...ok, maybe she's just eating more than I realize but it sounds like she's right on track and even eating less than some of these kids. I hate this for her. It's just not fair. I have friends whose kids eat fast food five nights out of seven and they're thin. I hate this. I have already lived this, I did not want this for her.
#16 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 11:10 AM

My DS is 4 and he struggles a bit with eating. When he was younger he had reflux and problems with gagging and puking on *everything* which I think makes him a little hesitant to eat sometimes. A few months ago he gagged and puked (first time in over a year) and he went on a hunger strike for 2 weeks or so. We literally could only get him to take fluids and some softer food. But then he was fine.

So he's a normal weight, although he does tend to lose if he's going through a rough period. Then he gains it back. He's about 40 lbs and 42" tall. He gained a TON after he learned to eat better. He dropped to 27 lbs (after hitting 30 at 15 months) and stayed there for over a year. Then he gained 11 lbs in a year.

So he's not really "average" but take what you can from my post.

He almost always refuses to eat breakfast. I always offer but he says his tummy isn't ready.

About 2 hours after waking he'll eat an early lunch. Quite often this is a PB sandwich with the crust cut off, a decent sized carrot, applesauce, cheddar cheese, raisins, and a cup of milk. Sometimes he eats it all, most of the time he'll leave a little of each item.

For a snack he'll have a cup of cereal or juice and crackers.

Dinner is a struggle too, most of the time. He eats what I make, but it's such a small amount. For the longest time, it was a serving the size I'd imagine a 2 year old would eat. He's eating a little bit more now. Again, he has milk.

There are days I can't get him to eat anything and there are days he's constantly asking me for food, although those are rare.

I always make sure to stock up on his favorites: milk (soy or almond usually), juice, carrots, apples or applesauce, raisins, mandarin oranges, broccoli, pasta, PB, cheese, crackers, ect. He DOES eat stuff other than this, but if he's having a tough day, it helps to bring out the favorites.
#17 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
It sounds like my daughter's diet is pretty average. She gets a lot of activity. She's still overweight. I really have no idea what to do. I thoght...ok, maybe she's just eating more than I realize but it sounds like she's right on track and even eating less than some of these kids. I hate this for her. It's just not fair. I have friends whose kids eat fast food five nights out of seven and they're thin. I hate this. I have already lived this, I did not want this for her.
Well you can't compare her to other kids. It is helpful to have an idea of what other kids eat, just to see what end of the spectrum she is on, but you can't compare, KWIM?

You are right, some kids CAN eat like total crap and stay thin. But they aren't healthy. Some kids eat perfect all the time and have a little pudge on them. They are loads healthier than the kids that eat mcdonald's 4 times a week.

First, I would completely stop comparing her to other kids. If she needs a lower fat/lower calorie diet, then just do it. For the whole family. Of course allow some treats, but just not an everyday thing. Encourage more activity (unless she's the kid that never sits still already). Limit TV time in a big way. If she doesn't already have them, get her a jump rope, hula hoop, kiddie pool, ect and send her outside. Help her draw a hopscotch game with sidewalk chalk. If you don't see a difference in 2-3 months, I get her checked out. Especially if she gains more than a lb or so. There might actually be something going on with her.

How overweight is she? Is it "babyfat" or is she truly overweight? I feel for parents doing everything they can and I know people still think you guys feed them like crap. I have a friend who's kids are all pudgy. She and her husband are very slim and her kids, even at 5, still look like toddlers, like they have a lot of baby fat. They are *adorable*, but yeah, they are overweight. They never eat out, always home cooked meals and she gives them celery for snacks and they are always on the go, always moving. Oh and she nurses them for a year too. I have no clue where they even got the pudginess from. It's certainly not inherited.
#18 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
what is her age/weight/height?

Our neighbors are 2 sisters 18 months apart. I assume they eat relatively the same things and I know they don't do much in the way of activities. The older one is a stick (and by far she is the less active one), the younger one has put on a ton of weight in the last year and is now really chubby, maybe she is getting ready for a growth spurt? Maybe it is just genetics.....

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#19 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
delete

caffix.gif

#20 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DS is 4.5, 40 lbs and I'm not sure of his height. These would be typical meals for us.

Breakfast: Cereal (usually 2 bowls, though he would sometimes eat a lot more) & milk, oatmeal (~2 bowls), peanut butter toast (1 slice) and some fruit, or an egg sandwich (fried egg, piece of bacon or cheese, 2 pieces of toast).

Morning snack: yogurt, fruit, granola bar, goldfish

Lunch: sandwich (PB&J or lunchmeat), soup, or leftovers from the previous night's dinner

Afternoon snack: yogurt, fruit, granola bar or goldfish

Dinner: an age-appropriate serving of meat, usually with two veggies on the side. Some nights one serving of each is enough, other times he'll ask for seconds. Last night it was a hamburger with a baked potato and grilled asparagus, the night before it was chicken curry over rice.

Some days he eats on the lighter end at meals. Other days he'll eat anything in the house that's not nailed down.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#21 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sheesh, my DD is almost 3.5, she is 43 pounds and is 41 inches tall. She wears a girls 5, not toddler size.

She eats:

breakfast: Yobaby yogurt and cereal bar or cereal
snack: pepperoni & cheese, apple, banana or crackers
lunch: pasta or chicken nuggets
snack: same
dinner: stir fry, enchiladas, pizza, soup, etc

She drinks juice, water and chocolate milk and does get M&Ms or a brownie almost every day.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#22 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

I don't want anyone to think that I'm riding her about her weight or what she eats. If it were not a matter of health issues and had I not grown up with a weight problem and all KINDS of food issues, I probably wouldn't be worried, it probably wouldn't even be on my radar.

Our situation, in general:

I offer good meals and snacks, she eats what she wants and I don't care if some gets left.
I never praise her for finishing anything or comment on that kind of thing.
If she asks for other stuff in between I re-direct her to her most recent meal or snack (if there's some left and it's something that can be eaten cold) or she gets an apple or grapes or whatever.
She does get fast food or a junky meal with her dad once a week (like fishsticks or a grilled cheese from a fast food place). Sometimes she'll eat it, sometimes she won't, just like everything else.
She generally eats until she's satisfied, so she's not eating huge amounts of anything just to eat.
I don't use words like 'good' or 'bad' or 'treat' in relation to food, I don't make her finish everything or anything like that.
She's really good about trying everything and truly enjoys most fruits and vegetables (not wild about carrots or watermellon). We're not big on red meat but she eats things like baked fish and grilled chicken.
She does like cookies and baked things but those are rare, small in portion size, and home baked.
She mostly drinks heavily watered down juice or water, and sometimes lemonade (I make at home).
She's very active.
We have a pool, a swing set, a mini trampoline (inside, the kind with the grab bar), a big back yard. They all see a lot of use. It's going to be REALY hot here soon so most outside stuff will be in the pool as 98F is just too darn hot to spend much time running around in the sun.
She watches some tv, but not tons and she'd rather run and play - tv is a last resort kind of thing.

I only asked about what other kids are doing to see if I'm seriously misjudging what a child her age/ht would be eating. She's 3.5 and 38" inches tall. She weighs about 45 pounds, which does put her in the overweight category by quite a lot. Looking at her, she looks still round like a toddler and not thin like a kid. She's still got a toddler tummy and chunky toddler legs and booty. I would never have thought of her as overweight, she's just so beautiful to me, but I'm starting to see that other kids her age have thinned out (you know, like her cousin, who is the exact same age and lives on chicken nuggets, Skittles, and bologna sandwiches on white bread). I'm having to buy her clothes and suddenly, she's hard to fit.

I don't want to make her miserable or weird about food. I had lots of "helpful" adults in my life when I was a kid and as much as I know they all ment well, I am jacked UP about food and my body. In trying to keep me thin, they effectivly taught me how to be fat. Eating disorders go back three generations. I make sure that no one comments on what/how she's eating, her body, other people's weight, or dieting in front of her even if I have to hurt feelings to do it (for instance, my aunt won't be making that mistake again). I can't keep all that from her forever, but she certainly won't be learning it at home.

I just want her to be healthy and I want her to like herself. I have already had the experience of her crying because a dress just does not fit her (the way it was made, going up a size wasn't an option) and it broke my heart. I have had that same experience so many times and I thought I was doing everything right. I really thought if I did all the right things, she would eat when she was hugry, stop when she was satisfied, and everything would be fine. I just already feel like I'm failing her and it's her BODY. She has to live in it. I can't mess that up for her. She's so perfect and healthy and she's just so pleased with herself. I want her to always have that.
#23 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 03:43 PM

You are a great mom. nak...

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
#24 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I don't want to make her miserable or weird about food. I had lots of "helpful" adults in my life when I was a kid and as much as I know they all ment well, I am jacked UP about food and my body. In trying to keep me thin, they effectivly taught me how to be fat. Eating disorders go back three generations. I make sure that no one comments on what/how she's eating, her body, other people's weight, or dieting in front of her even if I have to hurt feelings to do it (for instance, my aunt won't be making that mistake again). I can't keep all that from her forever, but she certainly won't be learning it at home.
Well, I think you are doing a great job just acknowledging that this could become an issue. Too much pressure is placed on kids, especially girls, to be thin. I think if you keep it a non-issue, it will help prevent her from becoming obsessed with her weight and food. Of course, it's ok for YOU to wonder to yourself if she's eating right, getting enough exercise, ect because it's up to you to make sure she's staying healthy. You already know, obviously, that saying these things out loud could make her self-conscious.

It sounds like you lead a healthy lifestyle. Maybe give it until she's 4 or so and re-evaluate? Some kids just take longer to outgrow the baby fat. Then, if you do feel she needs to be seen to rule out any health issues, see if you can discuss it with the doctor BEFORE you bring her in to make sure he doesn't handle it inappropriately.

If you've noticed a weight gain recently, she may just be getting ready to have a growth spurt in height. Lots of kids pack on a few lbs before they sprout up. So they look like they are getting chubby, but then they slim down as fast as they chunked up.

It's tough, but it sounds like you are doing everything you can.
#25 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 06:51 PM

My 3 yr. old eats like this:
Breakfast: 2-3 bowls cereal with soymilk + maybe a banana and/or yogurt cup, or a bagel and cream cheese, or eggs, bacon, and toast
Lunch: sandwich (pbj or turkey, tomato, mayo/mustard on wheat), apple/orange/peach, potato chips or pretzels
Afternoon snack: apples and cheese, crackers and cheese, rice cake with peanut butter (or 2), or veggies and dip
Dinner: dinner plate full of whatever the rest of us eat, often seconds, sometimes more than I eat
Drinks: only water most days, occasionally OJ with breakfast

He also has a morning snack on preschool days (Tu/Thurs). He is 39", 38 lbs. and wears a 4T in most things. He's very active (spends 6-8 hours a day outside, rides a bike without trainers, swims and takes gymnastics) and I'd say his build is muscular/thin. Both of my boys have always eaten so much that strangers and friends remark on their appetites.
#26 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I sure know how you feel. Obesity and eating disorders run in my family and obesity on my husband's side. I worry constantly about passing on one or both of these miseries onto my children. My two oldest are both in the high normal range for BMI, so they are not overweight yet, but I am scared they will be one day because they love food. They are active and they eat healthy, but already I see signs I don't like.

I think you're doing a great job! You are feeding her healthy, keeping her active and avoiding the mistake of commenting on her body size or what she eats. Some kids are just metabolically destined to be bigger than others. My kids definitely cannot eat the same kinds of foods or the same amount of food as other kids their age without putting on too much weight. I truly believe it's genetic. What helps to keep them satisfied without putting on too much weight is to feed them smaller, more frequent meals, with plenty of protein and healthy fats and to make carbs the smallest part of their meals. Does your daughter eat a lot of carbohydrates?
#27 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 09:14 PM

I've only read the OP.

DS2 is almost four.

Most days, he eats a small bowl of cereal or oatmeal with milk. He generally has an egg or two a few times a week (either breakfast or lunch - mostly scrambled, with a bit of cheese). He snacks on cheese "sandwiches" (two full slices of cheddar, with a third slice, cut in half, in between) - at least one a day, sometimes two. Lunch is usually either homemade mac & cheese (about...1/2-3/4 cup?) or a half PB&J sandwich, with fruit (could be an apple, plum or peach - or some grapes or berries or mango slices) and a small serving of yogurt. He has 2-3 snacks a day - a slice of bread with PB or butter, another piece (or two) of fruit, a handful of carrot sticks or sugar snap peas or broccoli pieces, some bean sprouts, a small cup of yogurt, a smoothie, some walnuts - some mixture of those. If we're out, he snacks on either nuts & dried fruit, or a granola bar. He has a square of dark chocolate (90% cocoa) most days.

Umm...that's most of his daytime diet there. I'm sure there are variants. We usually have meat of some kind with a grain side (rice, pasta or potatoes). He usually eats both the meat and some of the grain. We also have a green salad most nights, and/or veggie sticks. He'll eat most of that. Sometimes, I cook some asparagus or brussel sprouts, but he doesn't generally eat them (his sister does). Dinner portions? We give him more if he asks...I'd guess he usually eats about 1/3-1/2 cup of whatever meat or fish we're having, plus about another 1/2 cup of rice (more if it's pasta - he loves pasta), and about 3/4-1 cup of salad.

I know I'm probably missing some things....

So...reasonable variety, and lots of fruit and dairy and meat...but not enough veggies, imo. I'm working on that. He's the pickiest of my three about veggies.

Last time I weighed and measured him - a month or two ago, I think - he was 36" tall, and weighed 42 pounds.

ETA: I noticed that several people mentioned beverages. My kids mostly drink water, especially ds2 (he's prone to throwing things, and if I must clean liquids of the carpet, I prefer water). They get a very occasional (2X week, maybe) small glass of juice, and sometimes a glass of milk...but mostly water.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#28 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read and comment. I'm going to come back in a little while with some questions and to answer some as well. Thank you thank you thank you for having this discussion with me. I don't feel like I can have it with anyone in "real life" as I DO NOT want to give the impression that I'm taking comments or it's ok to comment to her (or over her head because, hello, she can hear!). Thanks again!
#29 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
She's 3.5 and 38" inches tall. She weighs about 45 pounds, which does put her in the overweight category by quite a lot. Looking at her, she looks still round like a toddler and not thin like a kid. She's still got a toddler tummy and chunky toddler legs and booty. I would never have thought of her as overweight, she's just so beautiful to me, but I'm starting to see that other kids her age have thinned out
It sounds as though your dd hasn't thinned out, just as you said. DS2 is still very "babyish" in appearance, even at almost four. He's got a toddler-like build, and a very babyish/toddlerish face. I don't think he's "overweight". I think he has a different build than a lot of kids his age. It sounds as though your dd may be the same.

I have already had the experience of her crying because a dress just does not fit her (the way it was made, going up a size wasn't an option) and it broke my heart. I have had that same experience so many times and I thought I was doing everything right.[/quote]
DD has had that experience, and nobody has ever suggested that dd is overweight - not doctors, not random strangers, not friends or family - she's petite, if anything. But, quite often clothes in "her size" (obviously, it's not) are too tight in the waist and too long. In the last 3-4 months, many of those clothes have suddenly started to fit, as she thinned out...she just turned six. She weighs exactly what she did a year ago - but the clothes that fit her aren't the same ones.

Quote:
I really thought if I did all the right things, she would eat when she was hugry, stop when she was satisfied, and everything would be fine. I just already feel like I'm failing her and it's her BODY. She has to live in it. I can't mess that up for her.
I don't see anything in your posts hat suggests your messing it up for her. She's not pigging out, and she's not eating a bunch of crap, and she's physically active. Try not to let this totally preoccupy you. She sounds fine - she really does. Not all kids are built the same.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#30 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. It really does help to hear from other moms that I'm not doing something glaringly ignorant and just not seeing it. And I'm glad no one has flamed me for being a little preoccupied with this issue. Truly, her happiness and health are my first priorities...everything else is so far after that they hardly rate.

Sahmmie, she does not get a LOT of carbs but she does have whole wheat (real whole wheat, not just brown white bread) bread, grits maybe twice a week (what can I say, it's the south), umm...popcorn? Cheddar bunnies sometimes. For the most part there is a limited amount of food she's going to eat in a day and I want to make sure that she gets plenty of bang for her buck. She's also had problems with constipation pretty much her whole life, which is why she gets apples and grapes every day and a bit of some kind of juice in her water - it's also why I limit things like cheese.

I am looking for some mommy and me yoga, or yoga for small children DVDs. There's a studio near us that does a class for kids just a little older than her, and I really like the idea of putting her in that. It's supposed to be very low key and just getting familiar with things. She'll also be old enough for dance and tee ball next year and if she's interested in either, I'll be happy to put her in. I'm sure she will be.

Most days we swim or run around in the yard, but it's getting REALLY hot here. I'd love a few dance/wiggle around DVDs that she and I could do together both to pass the time and to make sure she gets enough exercise. It's hard to feel like running around the yard when it's 98F and 100% humidity. I know that *I* sleep better and am in a better mood when I "get my wigggles out." I wish we were in a more pedestrian-friendly area, but this town doesn't even have sidewalks.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page