Bath toy idea for nearly 4 year old... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-27-2009, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What bath toys do you have? - What toys does your child really love in the bath? DS needs some new bath toys! hehe

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 05-27-2009, 07:12 AM

We have a set of foam alphabet letters that DD1 got right around age three. She absolutely loved them (and still does) because she was learning the letter sounds and would spell out stuff on the side of the tub (they stick with water).

treehugger.gif Wife of over 10 years to hard working DH and Mom to DS (25)violin.gif,DD1 (10)joy.gif and : DD2 (6)joy.gif 
#3 of 15 Old 05-27-2009, 08:39 AM

Measuring cups, turkey baster, spoons, sponges, bath friendly hairbrush or comb, are all good things for the bath (they also can be easily washed so they don't get all moldy in the parts you don't see).

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#4 of 15 Old 05-27-2009, 09:10 AM

Ds really likes his playmobil boats in the bathtub:

http://store.playmobilusa.com/on/dem...720&cgid=1.2.3
http://store.playmobilusa.com/on/dem...739&cgid=1.2.3
http://store.playmobilusa.com/on/dem...1&cgid=Special

I don't let him bring the little tiny pieces in (they could easily go down the drain) but the boats are great in the tub.
#5 of 15 Old 05-27-2009, 09:22 AM

Ds plays with an old shampoo bottle, a plastic beach watering can and a plastic cup (from the kitchen) He has a few "bath toys" but prefers the "toys" I mentioned.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#6 of 15 Old 05-27-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceili View Post
Ds really likes his playmobil boats in the bathtub:

http://store.playmobilusa.com/on/dem...720&cgid=1.2.3
http://store.playmobilusa.com/on/dem...739&cgid=1.2.3
http://store.playmobilusa.com/on/dem...1&cgid=Special

I don't let him bring the little tiny pieces in (they could easily go down the drain) but the boats are great in the tub.
Same here! And she likes the mermaid and octopus, too.
#7 of 15 Old 05-27-2009, 01:02 PM

Funnels! Combine them with a couple of cups and bottles, and it's hours of entertainment!

Another super favorite "toy" is that bulb syringe that he had as a newborn. It was never actually used for its intended purpose, but it makes a fabulous bath toy! Just remember to pull the curtain or close the doors first!
#8 of 15 Old 05-27-2009, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

ooo - maybe ill have an excuse to buy playmobil after all! lmao

Keep the ideas coming! - We already have various empty bottles/etc to play with in the water and he also has those foam alphabet letters but hes getting tired of them (and already knows his letters and sounds they make! hehe)...they do a similar foam road and car set though I was thinking of getting for him...hmmm....

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#9 of 15 Old 05-27-2009, 01:28 PM

I bought a colander at the $1 store and a sand pail. Each is filled with toys and they get rotated.

The colander has kitchen stuff, funnel, spatula, measuring cups, spoon, and a couple of plastic cups.

The bucket has little mermaid toys, dolphins, alligators etc in it.
#10 of 15 Old 05-27-2009, 01:32 PM

Same here.. kitchen supplies. We also like the bath crayons but be sure to wash them right off or they can stain.

hh2.gif

#11 of 15 Old 05-27-2009, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Ds took his plastic marble run into the tub. It was a little tricky but great fun pouring water down it. Maybe it would work better if you had one of those tray set ups that goes across the tub like a little table. I did find a suction cup water run meant for the tub but it doesn't stick to our tiled tub surround. If you have a smooth tub surround, it might work better. It works all right on the tub itself but then you can't fill the tub more than a few inches. I got that at KidSurplus, but like I said it doesn't work that great.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#12 of 15 Old 05-27-2009, 05:43 PM

We bought a plastic siphon at a DIY-home repair type store. That's been a blast lately. We also have crayons for the tub, animals to wash, measuring cups, shaving cream/gel, snorkel/goggles, tea set, and random things I grab from the kitchen (like pie plates, steamer, strainer).

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#13 of 15 Old 05-30-2009, 08:22 AM

I think the key is to rotate the "toys" often to keep them interesting. I have 4 kids, and I've finally learned the the best bath toys are just household things that we plop in the tub - any kind of recyclable, the funnels as previously mentioned, sponges, plastic bottles, etc. Also all those plastic toys we seem to accumulate from goody bags and other treats make great bath toys. Right now in the tub is a set of Disney princess cake toppers and a plastic cowboy and horse from the dentist treat box. The kids are having a blast with them! Last time it was plastic dinosaurs and bugs.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#14 of 15 Old 05-30-2009, 12:19 PM

These are the only suggestions I haven't seen already posted, but I don't know if it's going to be helpful

We bought one of those crazy soap molds @ goodwill. We put toys in them (purchased @ Goodwill) & pour the soap mix over the top. They harden with the toy inside. It's like a prize! Her favourite by far has been the mini troll dolls.

Do you have a Goodwill or similar store? Ours has a huge selection of .99 bags that are full of random stuff.

We give my daughter change sporadically so she can buy/do her own little treats (i.e. riding the mechanical horse at Fred Meyer, the cookies or raisins out of the bulk bins etc). I keep her change purse in my bag (or when she carries a purse she has it, obviously )

I ask her if she wants to pick an item to donate & then she can pick out a bag/toy/etc to buy with her change purse. That's how we've accumulated bath toys (& kept the quantity under control)

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#15 of 15 Old 05-31-2009, 10:57 AM

Currently it's the turkey baster and some relatively inexpensive natural-ish bubble bath from the health food store. A marble and a plastic basket were a huge hit for a while. A funnel is a good one.

Get a can of shaving cream and spray it on the wall tiles. Fun stuff.

He doesn't play with conventional bath toys. He is allowed to pick from his regular toys before his bath and I tell him if they can go in the water or not.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page