How to get them to sleep later in the AM? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-31-2009, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is only 2.5, but I thought I'd post here since you are "seasoned" mamas with older kids

He has been waking up around 5:45am or so and it's KILLING me and DH. We are going through a no napping transition and possibly getting 2nd year molars, but I wanted to ask if anyone had any tips for getting him to sleep in later in the AM - like until 7am at least?! We've tried to put him to bed earlier, but that doesn't seem to work as well as putting him to bed later. Any help would be greatly appreciated
#2 of 11 Old 05-31-2009, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've never had any luck shifting my daughter's waking time- she's been between 5 and 6 most of her life! Earlier bedtime helps my sanity- I get a little time to relax in the evening, and I go to bed early too.

In the summers she can be prone to even earlier waking because of the light, so dark/blackout curtains can help extend the morning a little. And some cool toys so she can play quietly while I doze on the couch...

Good luck!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#3 of 11 Old 05-31-2009, 12:07 PM
crl

DS went through a stage of waking for the day at 4am. I think he was about 2? I found the No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers helpful.

We put up light blocking shades and played white noise all night to cover the birds chirping early in the am. I also started setting an alarm for DS and told him that it was not morning until the alarm went off. If he woke before then I would go in and lay on a mattress on the floor in his room until the alarm went off. I would not play or talk with him, just stayed in the room resting. I also would not give him his morning cup of milk until the alarm went off. (He always had water in his bed with him.) I think I started with a 5am time for the alarm and gradually moved it to 6am.

It worked pretty well and with surprisingly little fuss from DS.

Catherine
#4 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My youngest son drove me nuts for the longest time due to his early waking. He was up for the day at 4am until he was about 15 months old, when he finally started sleeping until 5am which is still way too early for me. What finally got him sleeping later (I think) is just insisting he stay in bed until his older sisters got up. Eventually his internal clock just adjusted itself so that he was more in tune with the rest of the family. He's still usually the first one up, but now it's usually sometime between 6:15 and 7 am which is much more bearable to me.

Other things that I think help are room darkening shades, and white noise. I have a white noise machine in his room which helps him sleep through some of those early morning noises (traffic, birds, daddy getting up for work, etc.) that may otherwise wake him.
#5 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crl View Post
We put up light blocking shades and played white noise all night to cover the birds chirping early in the am.
We do similar with pretty good luck. We use the light-blocking blinds and run our whole-house fan at night, which works as white noise and to have even heat in the winter and a little air circulating in the summer.

Tanya
#6 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 05:08 PM

I bought this stuff that you stick in the windows. It's bubble wrap on the inside with silver on one side, and while on the other side. It's sold in the insulation dept of hardware stores. It's thick enough that it just pushes in the window frame and stays by itself.

We use it because it cuts WAY down on our summer electric bills. (we live in the desert)

But, the side benefit was it makes the room completely dark, so the kids don't wake up for another hour or so. Then, they aren't as tired and cranky later on in the day.
#7 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post
I bought this stuff that you stick in the windows. It's bubble wrap on the inside with silver on one side, and while on the other side. It's sold in the insulation dept of hardware stores. It's thick enough that it just pushes in the window frame and stays by itself.

We use it because it cuts WAY down on our summer electric bills. (we live in the desert)

But, the side benefit was it makes the room completely dark, so the kids don't wake up for another hour or so. Then, they aren't as tired and cranky later on in the day.
Hmmm....I'd like to get some of that stuff. I've got room darkening fabric taped and nailed around windows which I hate becasue I never see the windows and you can't open the windows. Can you open the windows with this stuff on them? Do you have any idea what it's called?
#8 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmmie View Post
Hmmm....I'd like to get some of that stuff. I've got room darkening fabric taped and nailed around windows which I hate becasue I never see the windows and you can't open the windows. Can you open the windows with this stuff on them? Do you have any idea what it's called?
I think it's called garage door insulation. But, it fits perfectly into our windows that face west. *VERY hot here in Phoenix*

To open the windows, you have to pull the insulation out. But, it takes 30 seconds to push it back in. We have wooden blinds that go down over the insulation, so you can't see it from the bedroom.
#9 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crl View Post
I also started setting an alarm for DS and told him that it was not morning until the alarm went off. If he woke before then I would go in and lay on a mattress on the floor in his room until the alarm went off. I would not play or talk with him, just stayed in the room resting. I also would not give him his morning cup of milk until the alarm went off. (He always had water in his bed with him.) I think I started with a 5am time for the alarm and gradually moved it to 6am.

It worked pretty well and with surprisingly little fuss from DS.

Catherine

Did the same thing with an ipod alarm clock and loaded little kids songs on the alarm clock. Unless the music went off it wasn't morning time. We also pushed it back each 30 minutes or so every few days. There would be mornings they would come to our room, and say- is it morning, and I would go back to their room with them and show them the clock and remind them about the music. This was an easy no cry solution, as they looked forward to hearing one of their favorite songs....

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#10 of 11 Old 06-04-2009, 02:10 PM

Thanks, nextcommmercial. I'll look for some and maybe try it in one room and see how it works.
#11 of 11 Old 06-05-2009, 12:58 AM

Most people wouldn't find this acceptable, but i have them go to bed later.
With dd, once she slept through the night, she had a never-fail sleep pattern. she would sleep for 10 hours straight. Exactly. So, i had to use that. If i wanted to sleep until 8 am, i had to have her go to sleep at 10pm. If I wantd to sleep in till 10, she went to bed at midnight..you get the idea.
I have no clue what is going to work for ds..he akes up SCREAMING several times all night long and i[m about ready to die.

CPST

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page