Nov '05 Mamas- It's June!!! Better late than never! - Mothering Forums
1 2 
The Childhood Years > Nov '05 Mamas- It's June!!! Better late than never!
Awaken's Avatar Awaken 10:57 AM 06-15-2009
Ok, thought I'd get us started now that half the month is over!

Wow, just read the whole May thread and I missed a LOT!

DID- I am so sorry about the legal situation, I had no idea Somehow I hope things work out ok. I'm so glad the CNA work is going well for you, I knew it would!

Mel- I don't think I heard about Matt's grandfather- I knew he was sick around the time Nora was born. I'm glad your trip went well, and hope your diet can expand soon.

My 3 yr old is tough...he's been so easy most of his life that I knew he was due for a rough patch. He does say and do all kinds of amazing and cute things, and is as adorable as can be, but is also so strong minded and wants to do things his way, and so often every little thing is a big struggle, even when I don't want it to be! He also loves to delightedly torment his older brother, who can't stand the fact that he exists, breathes, or speaks. Just praying this gets better SOON,

before December when I'm supposed to be having a baby! Still percolating along at 12+ weeks, still in a state of wondering how I'm going to take care of 3 kids on my own for 12 hrs a day, 2 of whom can't be in the same room together. I am completely open to advice, mamas of 3 or more!!!

Queen of Cups's Avatar Queen of Cups 11:27 AM 06-15-2009
Hello! We're doing pretty good... Ellie is in the same situation as the other kids - adorably sweet most of the time with patches of stubborn naughtiness. Its actually pretty funny... Killy never had impulse control but is a people-pleaser. Ellie has all the impulse control in the world, but doesn't give a fig about pleasing anyone but herself. When she's doing something wrong (like destroying her brother's latest robot creation), she smiles the whole time and will happily admit she knew it was wrong and would hurt him. What do you do about that?! Luckily she's very sweet and is usually not in a mood to destroy and just wants to play nicely and share with everyone.

Ellie has had three UTIs since the end of February, and she's got a referral to see a pediatric urologist. I want her to not have UTIs anymore, but I'm really, really hoping it won't come down to a surgery.

I get my IUD tomorrow... I'm excited to be off hormonal birth control, sad to be admitting I won't be having any more kids, and nervous about having it inserted. I read a detailed explanation of how its done, and now I wish I hadn't!
spughy's Avatar spughy 01:55 PM 06-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups View Post
I get my UTI tomorrow... I'm excited to be off hormonal birth control, sad to be admitting I won't be having any more kids, and nervous about having it inserted. I read a detailed explanation of how its done, and now I wish I hadn't!
You mean IUD right? If it helps, removal is worse than insertion, which wasn't bad at all. Sheesh, woman, you've given birth - it's MINOR! I won't lie and say it's completely painless, but the pain is brief, along the same lines as whacking your elbow on something.

DiD, I'm sorry about all the legal stuff you're going through. Congrats on passing your CNA though!

Mary, congrats on the new little one... I'm sorry, I have no advice to provide, I only have one child who is pretty easy to deal with.

Not much new here... DH and Rowan slept in the tent in the back yard last night, and I think Rowan will need a nap today...
Queen of Cups's Avatar Queen of Cups 02:01 PM 06-15-2009
Um, yeah. LOL I'll edit that!
flapjack's Avatar flapjack 02:38 PM 06-15-2009
Oh, and if nobody's told you this already, take some ibuprofen before you go in. Arnica helps, too. Spughy's talking specifically about whacking the bony, sticky-out bit of your elbow, the one that leaves you swearing for a while, not the soft and fleshy part It's a nice analogy though.

We're here. Skye's loud. River's cute. Boys are responding to the imposition of martial law (aka start picking up after yourself or your life will be unutterably awful) but DH isn't.

Mary, I'll ask my two. They can't stand to be around each other at the minute either- their teachers literally drew chalk down the middle of the school playground to stop them fighting I'm planning on buying the Sibling Rivalry book from the people who wrote How to talk (etc.)
spughy's Avatar spughy 02:49 PM 06-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Oh, and if nobody's told you this already, take some ibuprofen before you go in. Arnica helps, too. Spughy's talking specifically about whacking the bony, sticky-out bit of your elbow, the one that leaves you swearing for a while, not the soft and fleshy part It's a nice analogy though.

Yup, that's what I meant! It's that kind of twingy pain. And it doesn't last long, and ibuprofen is a good idea.
Queen of Cups's Avatar Queen of Cups 03:21 PM 06-15-2009
Yeah, they told me to take 3-4 advil before coming in, and gave me a misoprostol tablet to insert vaginally 8 hours before (to help with dilation). So, hopefully it'll go easy enough. You'd think after doing natural childbirth twice I wouldn't be such a baby!
DreamsInDigital's Avatar DreamsInDigital 03:40 PM 06-15-2009
Quote:

WTH happened to innocent until proven guilty?
It's sad but true. When a man is accused of something like this, if there is no evidence either way it often goes in favour of the accuser. At least that's been Jim's experience with 15 years of his mom working as a paralegal for these exact types of issues. She's been giving him advice on how to handle it, but it just does not look good for us.

I'm just taking it one day at a time. Trying to remember to breathe.
DreamsInDigital's Avatar DreamsInDigital 05:30 PM 06-15-2009
Keep your fingers crossed for me. I have a job interview on Thursday!
flapjack's Avatar flapjack 10:31 AM 06-16-2009
Fingers crossed!

I have a cold It's not very nice.
Queen of Cups's Avatar Queen of Cups 10:52 AM 06-16-2009
I hope you feel better soon, Helen!

So, I'm in quite a funk. My plan for today was: my MIL arrives about 11am, I go meet my sister and my mom for lunch, then go to my appt to get my IUD, come home and spent the afternoon relaxing with a book and heating pad while MIL watches the kids, then DH was taking the kids to Vacation Bible School. Well, its raining so my MIL won't drive so she called and cenceled this morning. Now, DH is going to drive me and the kids to my appt (its 40 minutes away), then I get to watch the kids all afternoon. That'll be relaxing - NOT. I'm just having a little self-pity-party. Just once I'd like to be able to lie in bed when I don't feel well, but I always have to be up and about and taking care of the kids. I'm not feeling great at the moment due to the cytotec I had to take this morning to prime my cervix. I've got to figure out what to do to cheer myself up, though, I can't spend all day in this funk.
MelW's Avatar MelW 04:19 PM 06-16-2009
Ugh, QofC. I hope the IUD went well, but how crummy to lose the nice day you had planned.

DiD, good luck with the job interview and congrats on passing the CNA course. Big to you and your family- I'm thinking of you.

I hope you feel better, Helen.

We're doing well- though amazed that June is more than half-way done! We just spent the weekend with my MIL which was a nice break for all of us. Neela and Matt camped out in the tent, Matt got some work and writing done, I had a co-parent and co-chef in my MIL, and Neela got to play with the dog. Win-win-win we call it

Neela is still in a terrific stage right now. Nora is both easier and harder than Neela was. She's more mellow, but not a terrific breastfeeder so we're challenged in different ways weathering her short nursing strikes. Side-lying seems to work, but I have yet to figure out what to do with a hungry baby out in public. I can't see myself lying down on the floor of the grocery store to feed her. Last night Neela was watching Nora pull on and off the breast as we were all in bed for bedtime stories and told her "put your mouth on the freaking breast, Nora!" (and then told me to stop laughing, since I had a bad case of giggles over it).
Queen of Cups's Avatar Queen of Cups 07:05 PM 06-16-2009
Well, I'm back home. I seem to have a very sensitive cervix (I always cramp during pap smears, too) because insertion was incredibly painful. I used my self-hypnosis techniques from labor to get through it, so I didn't cry or scream at the doctor, but it was awful. The cramps are bad, but easing off now. It was the nauseated, hunched over, I-might-vomit type cramps for a couple hours, but now I'm feeling better. A hot pad and some chocolate helped!

Ellie finished her latest round of antibiotics yesterday, and seems to be totally recovered from her UTI. Yay!

DiD - I hope things work out for the best, I'm sorry to hear about all the drama/trauma.

Neela's line made me crack up!
spughy's Avatar spughy 08:12 PM 06-16-2009
Well Neela sounds like she's got a great career as a lactation consultant ahead of her!

Rowan's been bugging me to have another baby SOON so she can try the boobies again. I guess she only gave them up because they had no more milk in them, and she wasn't really ready? She's been identifying much more with babies than with kids her own age for the past six months or so, always wanting to play at being her cousin or her friend's little brother. She's totally lost interest in the little girl downstairs now that she's walking and talking. This is a phase, right???

QofC - sorry it was such a bummer day for you, but at least the IUD is in, right? I hope it works out for you, it is such a stress-free bc method.
flapjack's Avatar flapjack 06:30 AM 06-17-2009
Hah. Yes, completely stressfree apart from counting the number of times an hour you're emptying your mooncup and trying to figure out if this is too heavy and you're going to bleed to death, panicking over contraception if it doesn't work out and, yes, wait, the joy of it removing itself. SIDEWAYS. Definitely stressfree. : Jen, feel better soon

Still poorly. Still crabby. Teething demanding baby. But I found a breakfast that doesn't leave me feeling sick 20 minutes later, so life is looking up.

Nora and Neela sound gorgeous, Mel. And very funny

Spughy, I'm wordless about the boobies Some kids just like the babies, though...
Queen of Cups's Avatar Queen of Cups 07:48 PM 06-17-2009
I'm feeling about 1000% better today - yay! Except, that is, for the poison ivy that's all over my legs. Its gotten to the point that its weeping/oozing and you can see the little slime trails down my legs. (shudder) But I got some good recomendations on what to do from friends on facebook, and I'm off to the local dollar store to buy generic zanfel. I hope it works! I think I'm going to get to the gym tonight while the kids are at vacation bible school. I'm not quite up to my usual heavy lifting, but I think a nice slow-paced workout will help me feel more like myself.

In case anyone is curious, its Ellie's fault I have poison ivy! She loooooves blackberries, and all the blackberries around our house seem to grow in the middle of poison ivy patches. I certainly couldn't tell her no, though, when she's asking for fresh berries!
MelW's Avatar MelW 05:40 PM 06-18-2009
I"m glad the IUD pain eased, and hope your poison ivy heals quickly, too.

I had a wisdom tooth pulled yesterday AND Nora's first tooth poked through her gum. I loathe teething. But it does make the crankiness and nursing strikes make a lot more sense. :

I offered to let Neela try nursing after Nora was born, but she didn't actually want to do it (just wanted to see if it was a possibility). She will happily drink EBM, though- I learned the hard way not to leave pumped milk sitting around.
DreamsInDigital's Avatar DreamsInDigital 07:44 PM 06-18-2009
You all know about how when Lucius was hospitalized back in February/early March and the peds at the hospital were concerned about the size/shape of his head, his lack of a posterior fontanelle and his small anterior fontanelle. They called it dolichocephaly and were worried about craniosynostosis. Well we finally got in to see the pediatric neurosurgeon.

She examined him, measured his head, tested his reflexes and pronounced him 100% perfectly normal. She said he does have a small head (10th percentile) but it's completely fine, he's developing normally and she doesn't even feel the need to have him follow up with her later.

So after all the worries with the leg seizures, the crossed eye, the head problems...he is fine. Perfectly 100% healthy. He outgrew the neonatal myoclonus, his eye straightened itself out and his head and brain are fine. I can finally take a breath and just enjoy my sweet little (well, not so little) baby boy.

He is 17 lbs. and 26 inches as of his last check up. 95th percentile for weight, 50th for height.

Life is good and I have much to be thankful for today.

Like this...
flapjack's Avatar flapjack 04:18 AM 06-19-2009
Ah, bless him.
MelW's Avatar MelW 12:02 PM 06-19-2009
He is lovely
Gunter's Avatar Gunter 01:25 PM 06-20-2009
so, i have to come on here and get some advice and encouragement.

monday night, i realized that we had the beginnings of thrush. bux is 16 months next week and ez isn't really nursing. so, it was just white spots and patches on bux's tongue which are gone now thanks to some aggressive use of gentian violet.

i'm doing all the typical stuff and meds to get rid of it. eliminated sugar and simple carbs, too just to be on the safe side!

what i am wondering about is thrush seems to reoccur and reoccur. everything that i read talks about how it comes back. so, is this my FIRST time fighting it...or my first and last, potentially? anyone only had it ONCE? just curious...and hopeful.

man, that pain was excruciating! thankfully, the pediatricians office that we never go to has a nurse who is an IBCLC. we have mutual friends and i called her directly begging for help. i just drove to her office and signed in at the desk hoping she would fit me in...i was in such pain. she did and said it was a pretty intense case but hooked me up with lots of advice and meds.
Awaken's Avatar Awaken 08:54 PM 06-21-2009
Gunter- I did have thrush only once, and only used one round of GV to combat it, and never had any more problems. However, I don't hear of that scenario often. Hopefully you will be lucky and what you're doing will beat it once and for all!

Have you seen already, or are you doing Dr Jack Newman's protocol? It might help to compare what you're doing with the ideas he has, to see if there's anything different you could add- http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Candida-Protocol.asp
Awaken's Avatar Awaken 09:02 PM 06-21-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups View Post
Ellie has all the impulse control in the world, but doesn't give a fig about pleasing anyone but herself. When she's doing something wrong (like destroying her brother's latest robot creation), she smiles the whole time and will happily admit she knew it was wrong and would hurt him.
Yep, Ezra is similar. He is happy and sweet natured, and even when he's destroying something or hitting, etc, he's smiling sweetly and doing it with glee. He has major impulse control problems, but I think it goes with the 3 yr old boy territory- magnified by 1000 in the afternoons when he's tired.

Quote:
Mary, I'll ask my two. They can't stand to be around each other at the minute either- their teachers literally drew chalk down the middle of the school playground to stop them fighting I'm planning on buying the Sibling Rivalry book from the people who wrote How to talk (etc.)
Thanks, Helen Even hearing that other people's kids don't get along makes me feel not so alone. People seem so AGHAST and horrified that my kids don't like each other, like we or I have some huge flaw I worried about the same thing- them fighting at camp or during carpooling with someone else, and making it someone else's problem to deal with. They are in the same class, and actually have done really well. They've had a few fights, but it's been nothing the teacher can't work with them to resolve and she still wants them to come, so that's a good sign!

We just have a major personality mismatch between them. Ezra is affectionate and touchy feely and always hugging, tickling, and tackling. Ethan likes his space, doesn't want to be touched or talked to unless he initiates it, and is more cerebral. It's just a difficult match because they both are so different in the type of interaction they want, and I can't please them both at the same time because they both always want something different! So there is usually one of them having a fit not getting what they want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
So after all the worries with the leg seizures, the crossed eye, the head problems...he is fine. Perfectly 100% healthy. He outgrew the neonatal myoclonus, his eye straightened itself out and his head and brain are fine. I can finally take a breath and just enjoy my sweet little (well, not so little) baby boy.
That's great news!!! I'm so glad to hear he's outgrown some of those things and is doing great, and you have less worry on your mind! :
MelW's Avatar MelW 09:20 PM 06-23-2009
gunter, I hope the thrush resolves soon.

I'm dealing with mastitis now, which was precipitated by Nora's nursing strike as her teeth came in (two now!). We spent the day in bed and it seems to be improving, so I'm hoping that I've avoided antibiotics. I'm also hoping that with the teeth through I can have my mellow baby back again. Or at least one that doesn't scream and cry so much

Neela has been a trooper through all of this, but I miss spending more time and energy with her. Her strategies for soothing the baby are interesting- recently she tried shoving the binky in her mouth while playing tambourine in her ear "because she likes music". Once I stopped freaking out, I appreciated the effort.
HoneyTree's Avatar HoneyTree 05:54 PM 06-24-2009
Gunter, yep, one round only of GV for us, too, never to be seen again! Good luck!

Mel, Woody has similar marginally effective soothing techniques. Today he was pulling on Fox's arm, too hard for my comfort--"but he's smiling, Mommy." (It started off that way, but Woody's did not shift with the smile-turn-grimace-about-to-cry expression.) We spend a lot of time on this skill.

OK, crying youngest...be back later!
MelW's Avatar MelW 04:15 PM 06-27-2009
Neela asked me to teach her how to speak French and Korean (I can do French, not Korean), and we came home from the library with a bunch of French books. She also very quickly picked bum and head out of the body parts book, and can now proudly say her version of bum head in French

We also picked up a copy of chutes and ladders at the thrift store last week, and Neela invented a co-operative version because "I don't like not winning". Then she abolished the game rules altogether, and acted out a play with the game pieces using the board as a stage.

I think I love this stage ::

Oh, and my mastitis was cured with rest, nursing and some raw garlic for good measure. I'm still struggling with Nora's gut issues- wondering if allergy is even the cause. We're headed to the doctor next week, but I'm a bit baffled and very hungry.
Gunter's Avatar Gunter 04:02 PM 06-28-2009
Awaken and HT- Oh, that is so good to hear that you each only had it once. We're almost over it here, thankfully! It's just a little sore when she first latches on and my nips are still peeling.

Mel- sorry that you have been through mastitis. any better now? i sooo know what you mean about being hungry. i cut out sugar, yeast, wheat and simple carbs...plus alcohol! it's been rough.

i'm getting ready to host for a new midwifery study group. we met two weeks ago in the next town over. we plan to meet twice a month now and i am really excited. i knew half the people in it already but it's fun to meet other birth professionals in town and learn with them. i've also been flirting with nursing school but really struggling to feel confident it's my path, you know?
Queen of Cups's Avatar Queen of Cups 09:34 PM 06-29-2009
Hi, everyone!

I am in the middle of an obsessive-mode dealing with my house... I guess it ties into the whole idea of moving on to the next stage of family life, I'm reorganizing and getting rid of toys the kids are too old for or don't use anymore. I'm also re-doing my guest bathroom in the basement. I bought a new sink and a new toilet, got a new shower curtain and sewed window curtains, I'm going to repaint it, I have a new light fixture, and after everything else is done I'll put new tile on the floor. I also took a break from that project to re-organize the utility room. I got new shelves for the pantry area and a new shoe cubby. Did I mention I also biked 20 miles today and then did some gardening? I'm beat! Tomorrow I get a day off, though. I have to go to work for the school system for a few hours, then I'm heading to the "big city" to do some shopping and see a friend. I'm excited! Then I think I'll come home and paint the bathroom. lol

I don't know if I've mentioned, but I am soooo impressed with how well Ellie deals with our puppy. (The puppy is now 7 months old and 36 lbs, so she outweighs Ellie!) Ellie is so assertive with the dog, telling Lily "NO" and "OFF" and leading her around by the collar. I was always such a fraidy-cat around dogs when I was a kid, its amazing to see her be so bold! She does better than Killian, actually. He tends to panic if the dog is doing something naughty and gets her even more wound up.

I'm so lost about what to do about bedtimes... Ellie just doesn't need as much sleep as Killian. But, its hard to get one to bed without the other, you know? They get ready for bed together and David and I alternate reading with them every other night - Killian falls asleep easily but Ellie is squirmy/giggly/chatty. They both come to our bed during the night, and in the morning Killian is a light sleeper so as soon as I get up he's up so it won't work to wake Ellie up earlier than him. Maybe I just need to try to run her around the yard more during the day? (Neither of them nap anymore)
MelW's Avatar MelW 02:18 AM 07-01-2009
More running makes for better sleep here. Last week I joked with Matt that I was taking Neela to run laps around the playground. She overheard and started very seriously running laps once we got there The sleep gods have been kind to me lately. Too kind, I think. Remind me of this next month

Gunter, despite being a nurse for eight (!) years, I'm still not sure about my path. I love nursing, but still haven't found my perfect niche it in. Researching grad schools is my ongoing hobby.

QofC, your life always sounds so full and busy! I'm amazed!
spughy's Avatar spughy 02:52 AM 07-01-2009
Well, my path is becoming clearer, I think - I just finished my postpartum doula training and over the next few months I'll be taking my first clients (friends, for free - but I get to "practice" on them) and getting my promotional materials, including a website, up and running... it feels weird, but good, to have things finally on the go. The course was fantastic and I met a whole bunch of amazing women, and I came out of it feeling like everything I've been through, and all the skills I've built over the last 10 years or so, are useful and will help other women enjoy motherhood more.

Aside from that, life is ticking along... Rowan is going through her own little mothering phase - endlessly diapering and feeding dolls, and this afternoon she insisted on playing in the car (don't worry, no keys were present) and she needed to be "driven" to the "hospital" at least seven times for her babies to be born. I suggested homebirth and she was having none of it. But disturbingly, she would hand the imaginary babies to me and then head off "swimming" two minutes after giving birth. I think she has much to learn.
1 2 

Up