Balance bike or training wheels - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2009, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juuulie View Post
Take the wheels off? Did you mean take the pedals off? Yes, you can. My neighbor took the whole pedal assembly, chain and everything, off his kid's bike and it worked great. We followed a different strategy: we begged Grandma to buy our little guy a Kettler.
Yes I did mean take the pedals off.

I had never heard of balance bikes til this thread. Now I oogling them and thinking they might make a nice second birthday present. Not sure if that is too early?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I know this is an old thread. I'm trying to decide between a balance bike and a pedal bike with training wheels. Any fresh opinions? I wonder if using the balance bikes tear up kids shoes from slowing/stopping the bike? My DS mostly goes up and down a small  hill near our home. I wonder if the balance bike would work for this or if he would go flying all the way down the hill. I also wonder how easy it is for kids to learn how to pedal after using the balance bikes vs learning to balance after mastering pedalling.

partners.gif Wife to mysuperhero.gif             
hang.gif Mommy to thehomebirth.jpg miracle of our love lovestory.gif  our sweet dog2.gif andchicken3.gif

Old 11-08-2011, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ds has a small bike that we took the pedals off of to make a DIY balance bike.  He just turned 4 and we put the pedals on and the first time he tried it he was able to ride! 

With dd she had a bike with training wheels that she rode for a year or more and it was so hard for her when we took them off.  Eventually we lowered her seat, took off the pedals and made it into a balance bike.  Did that for a month or so then put the pedals back on and she took off like a shot.  I totally think balance bike is the way to go, but I'm all for doing it DIY-style... no need to pay $$$ for a fancy shmancy balance bike imo...

ETA re. the pedaling - both dd and ds had a trike when they were toddlers, so they were both familiar with pedaling before getting a bike.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Tags
Strider Prebike Balance Running Bike
User Tag List