Roll call!!! Calling all mom's of 3 year olds!! 1999 babies! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 05-14-2002, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, my son just turned three last week. I am loving this age right now. A few months ago he was very difficult to deal with, but now he is so sweet and loving it just melts my heart. He is potty-trained, not even close. About three weeks ago I started putting some effort into it-before that I didn't do anything. We've had a little progress, but not very much. My son is shy too. We didn't get out to playgrounds or playgroups much this winter, and when we started to in April, I noticed he was awkward around other kids. Now, we go to a playground 3-4 times a week and he is getting more socialable, and also a lot more coordinated! Now we're trying to conceive another baby. I couldn't even consider it before-I was too overwhelmed with the one child I had! Overall, this is my favorite age so far, and I am loving just being with my son.
#32 of 51 Old 05-14-2002, 01:03 PM

Hi all! As many have said, nice to see so many moms of 3 yr olds! My Billy-Ra (pronounced Ray) turned 3 Apr 8. He is a bundle of love! I have not had many problems at all in his life! As a newborn, he had tons of gas which was real hard, but since then, nothing really has caused me to say much other than "pure angel" about him!

He is fascinated with rolly-polly's right now, terrified of all other bugs (at ds 9yr old's suggestion...), afraid of walking on grass bare footed, naps 2 hours daily with pg mama, sleeps 9-10 hours a night, loves trucks, cars and other mobile things, is interrested in potty training, but only if his diaper is off and is generally, the kindest, most polite, gentle, loving, peaceful, generous, giving child I've ever met in my life!!! (seriously! I'm not being prejudiced! )

The other day he was bare bottomed and we've told him not to pee on the bed...he says to daddy, "pick me up so I can pee on you, not the bed!" I laughed hysterically!!! dh didn't. He put him on the toilet real quick though!

Today he's puting rolly polly's in the hose and turning on the water to get them out again...He stops to smell flowers all the time, loves to give them to mommy, even enjoys spending time with big brother alone in (older one's) room! That sure gives us quiet time we've been needing! So, he still sleeps in our room in his own bed, occasionally spending the night or half of it in our bed. He nursed till 2 and even brushes his own teeth most of the time! The other day he climbed on the toilet after taking off his diaper and pooped for only the second time! I was so excited!!! He never opened doors to explore, never climbs never has, asks to hold a hand at the crossing of streets, and never has run off in any way shape or form! He even asks before playing with toys!

Have any of you got younger children too?

I am due to give birth July 4 and need to think of transitioning him to his own room so we have room for the baby after a few months to sleep next to us instead of in our bed. Not sure how it'll work. I don't want Billy to feel alienated or pushed out cause of the new baby and the really nice Christian councilor we are seeing is not helping by telling dh that ds really needs to be out of our room...

Sorry so long, just really enjoy sharing all about my precious!!!

Mcaww
#33 of 51 Old 05-14-2002, 03:06 PM

Hi! I have a one year old that shares the bed with us. What we did in preparation for the new baby was to include a twin next to our Queen mattress (both on the floor). In the beginning Issac (baby) would sleep between me and some pillows agains the wall, then Theodore would be on my other side and Daddy was on the Twin (lucky may that he is!). When Issac got older and did not need as much protecting from Theodore we shifted the Queen so the twin was at the bottom of it, like a 'T'. We put Theodore to bed on the twin and my dh, me and Issac sleep on the Queen. Frequently Theodore requests that dh come sleep with him on the twin, or he shoves himself inbetween us in the Queen (crowded!). After Theodore stays consistently on the twin through the night and does not request someone to sleep with him I will start to try him in his own room. He is still nursing before bed and first thing in morning (sometimes), so, I think when that goes he will be ready.

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

#34 of 51 Old 05-25-2002, 02:46 AM

Love this thread -- I've seen a lot of similar experiences to mine.
Kareis will be 3 on June 6 , which he now tells anyone who will stand still.

Naps -- yes, at day care (too long!), no, on the weekends with me.

Still nursing, and no signs of wanting to wean ("I love my nursies, mom.") and sleeps with me.

I'm a single mom and just turned 41. Glad to see some other moms my age here!

I sometimes miss his babyhood as I watch my toddler become a little boy.
#35 of 51 Old 05-25-2002, 01:33 PM

In a couple of months dd2 will be 3.

It's painful as I realize that I am losing this delightful child to time.

These days we joke around alot. Her chuckle is magic.

Potty trained herself pretty much, ordered mind, loving, forgiving and generous.

Such beauty from such a beauty.

3 already :sigh:

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#36 of 51 Old 05-28-2002, 04:02 AM

I also have a 3 year old boy! He was three in April and it was like someone flicked a switch! All of the sudden we have this wonderfully caring, compassionate, gentle(?) little boy! Don't get me wrong he still has his moments and trying times. With our first we found three very difficult but looks like Joshua will be plowing his own path.
#37 of 51 Old 06-02-2002, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My daughter was born May 2, 1999. I'm not sure how I like this age yet. She definitely seems different. I remember infancy seemed hard, then it was good. The 18 month aged seemed bad, but 2.5 was great. Now there are good and bad periods. She'll have a full week where she is sweet natured and happy, then the next week she'll be grumpy almost all the time. Or at least that's the way it feels to me.

One of the things she does that gets on my nerves is insisting that I bring everything to her. She asks for something, it's on the table right in front of her and I point to it, showing her where it is, and she wants me to get up and get it for her. Ugh! Maybe she just wants more of my involvement, but I have a lazy sister who is always asking everyone to get stuff for her and she's 30 years old but has been doing it her whole life, partially because she was very small as a child and people liked to do stuff for her thinking she wasn't capable. So maybe this just gets on my nerves more than it should.

So let's see, she's still in diapers and will be for awhile, she sleeps in her own bedroom now, but wakes to nurse several times a night, she has a pretty good vocabulary now, she's mostly given up her naps but will take one sometimes.

She does come up with some funny stories and really keeps me entertained. She's just so darned cute sometimes.
#38 of 51 Old 06-02-2002, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by khrisday
Her new thing is being a "baby". You know, "I can't walk- I'm a baby" or ""Help me eat- I'm a baby" and of course "Wipe my butt- I'm a baby".
How cute! Mine does the same thing. "I a baby now!" That means she can't do anything, including feed herself. I used to call her the tiny tyrant when she was about 20 months old, but she actually seems less tyrannical now than she used to. I've just recently gotten her to stop screaming the minute she wants something. Well, not stop exactly. She'll still screech, then I'll tell her to ask for it nicely and she does.
#39 of 51 Old 06-02-2002, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RasJane
I am so glad to hear that some other 3 year olds are not so easy to understand. My best friend has one of those genius kids who is amazingly advanced at everything.
Mine definitely falls in the not so advanced category. It kind of upsets my husband who wants to know why she doesn't excel in at least one area. His big thing now is feeling like we need to take a firmer hand in potty training as it isn't really her fault that she can't do it, it's our fault. :

I just recently spent some time with a mom with a daughter about a month younger than Molly, and the differences in them were remarkable. The little girl came up and hugged Molly and told her she loved her and wanted Molly to stay and play with her, and Molly wanted nothing to do with her! Then when we were going somewhere, the other girl was holding Molly's hand. Later on when we were getting ready to go somewhere else and her friend was trying to take hold of her hand Molly told me, "Mommy, I don't want to hold hands anymore. My hand hurts!" ROFL. She definitely needs time to warm up to new people, and even then she will only play cautiously. She likes to play with one toy while the other child plays with a different toy, but she hates when someone wants to play cooperatively and touch the toy she is using. However, she will never go up to another child and yank a toy away which is what kept happening to her. So in some ways I think she is very perceptive and caring, she just hangs back and observes more.

Oh, and with the talking, sometimes I think she is so clear and understandable only to have my husband say, "What is she saying? I don't understand a word." Ugh, now I know how my sis felt when I couldn't understand her children and she thought they were very clear. She still has definite problems with some words. Like she'll say, "Pleased to 'eet you" and she calls a knife an "ife"
#40 of 51 Old 06-03-2002, 12:10 PM

Keithen was born 2/1/99.
He still nurses a few times a week.
Only takes naps if he falls asleep in the car or is sick.
Verbal skills and imagination are AMAZING!
#41 of 51 Old 06-03-2002, 01:24 PM

Ds was three in Feb. and he is a blast! He is also train obsessed, but equally in love with motorcycles and race cars. He tells me he's going to be his pop when he grows up, not like him, BE him! He love to work out in the shed with dh and cries sometimes in the morning because he can't go to work with him. He loooooves his big sister and will do anything she wants him to do including climbing on to the UPS truck while the guy was delivering something to us and almost being napped unknowingly until big sis decided to let me in on the secret as UPS was pulling away! Quite a scene! He still nurses and occasionally will look up at me and ask " Mom, what's wean?" while smiling, of course. He's so sweet and tells me he loves me and loves to push on my stomach and say "Big fat mama!" (but in a nice way, right? I'm not pregnant and not fat nor offended). He's a little obsessed with my belly button, but I guess that's better than the nipple obsession my dd had at that age! He's been potty trained for a while, but has a bad habit of screamimg "I have to CRAP!" at inopportune times. This is a wonderfully exasperating age. I love it!
#42 of 51 Old 06-03-2002, 02:28 PM

My little boy will be three.
For us three is a very special age. In judaism it marks the end of babyhood. For those that have the custom to grow the boy's haitr now is when we cut it short and make him peyos(side curls) . Tommorrow we will be taking him to school to lick honey off of hebrew letters, to signify that learning is sweet. His birthday cake is made and waiting to be decorated! We are waiting until next week for the haircut though. Don't want to make him nuts with too much exictement in one day.

-BelovedBird

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#43 of 51 Old 06-03-2002, 03:34 PM

Happy Birthday to Belovedbird's big boy!!!!! Your festivities sound grand and I hope you enjoy every moment
#44 of 51 Old 06-04-2002, 11:08 AM

Soleil was born june 29th, 1999. unbelievable what we've seen her accomplish so far, the toughest time we had together was while she was teethin molars. So I guess so far, our greatest milestone was surviving teething!!! Yipee!!!
She is too cool, too loving, so sensitive, loves helping!

Keep on keepin on mamas,

Mamasoleil
#45 of 51 Old 06-04-2002, 12:50 PM

My boy was born in January of 1999. I love this age, and feel like we are closer than we have ever been. He is the sweetest boy. He sleeps close to me at night and every morning I hold him in my lap while he adjusts to being awake (he is *not* a morning person), and he snuggles into me while I whisper lovey things into his ear and rub his back. He is, as I tell him, "my noah noah".

He loves puzzles and playing 'I Spy' and singing. When he sings "shoo fly pie" it's so cute I can hardly bear it. He can't say "P"s very well, so he says things like, "I want to go the hark!" and calls his father "hapa". It's very endearing. He can play video games with more skill than me. He loves worms, and often brings them inside as gifts for me. His favorite books are "Go Dog Go" and "The Boy Who Ate Around". His favorite color is red and he loves getting new clothes and jumping on "the bouncing shape" (the trampoline.)

He is skinny and quick and has this funny flailing run, and heavy lidded blue eyes with long lashes. He is very good at defusing me, all he has to do is look up at me sadly through those lashes and say, "ma-mwa...?" He was going through a phase where his papa and I couldn't do anything right and it seemed like he was being contrary just for the sake of being contrary (terrible twos?) but thankfully he is pretty much out of that.

His papa and he do this kind of fake fighting (reminds me of wolf puppies in the wilderness) where he says, "bring it on!", except that he can't say "bring" so it comes out as "big it on! big it on!" in this high little boy voice, and he is laughing and laughing as they wrestle. There is nothing funnier than seeing this little 35-lb boy saying "big it on!" to a 225-lb man.
#46 of 51 Old 06-06-2002, 09:48 AM

Sophie will be three June 18th....*sob*

No more baby! She is all about being a big girl like her six year old sister. No naps and she's getting closer to potty-readiness.
#47 of 51 Old 06-06-2002, 12:08 PM

I have a three year old. Jake was born in January 1999. (I'm not new here, but it's been a while since I've been back to Mothering.)
Jake is out of diapers, quite on his own, is still breastfeeding, and is a wonderful little boy. I am very proud of him and just awed by his intelligence. <grin> He does have a temper, and gets bored easily, and creates rules that we must (or are supposed to) adhere to or face his wrath... Three is definitely challenging, but I like it much better than two. He was a late speaker, and it frustrated him mightily. Now that he can tell me what he wants to say, I find him a much calmer boy.
#48 of 51 Old 06-07-2002, 04:11 PM

Hi all! My DD turns 3 July 23. Time sure flies.

This age has been trying at times. Potty training has been a struggle. She can stay dry pretty well, but refuses to poop on the potty. Tantrums can be frequent with her, and the hitting and kicking of her little brother (almost one) has been upsetting me.

On the other hand she can be very sweet, and is extremely verbal. We can have conversations with her. Her imagination is excellent also.

I have heard that the threes can be trying because of their desire to be indepenent. My DD has been saying, "No, I can do it myself". I'm sure every age has it's challanges.

Hooray to all the 1999 "babies".

Karry
Mom to Kacey (7/23/99) and Lucas (6/21/01)
#49 of 51 Old 06-13-2002, 02:51 AM

1st time I ran into other Hoosiers on these boards, Howdy!

DS was 3 May 29. I am exhausted from no nap, or very late nap and then very late nite.

He's (only just) potty trained in the day. Wears diaper nights and naps. And he asks for a diaper to poop in. How do I stop that?

His speech isn't that great but he's bilingual.

I love every age. This is a challenge though. He gets whims, like he wants to wear certain clothes. He went to nursery school in pj's yesterday. Sometimes wants to be a baby (a 40 lb one at that) okay by me, he's my only kid. And will stay that way. I turned 40 in '99 too.

Problem with hitting when he doesn't get his way. And says EVERYTHING is MINE. But when I say 'ouch' he kisses me. So sweet. Says 'thank you' all the time but I can't wheedle a 'please' out of him to save my life.

Picky eater. Would lie on the couch naked with a bottle of warm milk all day watching cartoons if I let him. Guess he's pretty normal.
#50 of 51 Old 06-13-2002, 04:00 AM

I have a three-year-old. She was born December 20, 1998.

I love this age, although the first few months of it were pretty rough. Right now we're going through a relatively smooth stretch although she can still be infuriating about things.

She's always singing both songs she's heard and songs she's made up. One of my favorites is "a donut, a donut, I love a donut, what's a donut about?" (We're health food nuts and she's maybe had a donut 2x in her life.)

She started drawing people and animals a few months ago. I love seeing dogs wearing dresses as interpreted by a 3 y.o.

She's determined. She'll wake up in the morning and inform me "we're going to the toy store today," get dressed herself, bring me my shoes, grab my hand, and say "come on." LOL, it's really hard to refuse her when she does that.

She's very affectionate. She loves to cuddle and hug and kiss.

She loves to dress up. Whatever she puts on she always has bunny ears on too so she'll be a "bunny wizard" or a "bunny princess," etc.

She asks so many questions!!! And often they are very obvious ones, like "where are we going?" when I've just told her, and then "where are we going?" again even after I've told her again. If I deflect the question back to her, she knows the answer. I think she just asks to make conversation. Sometimes this drives me insane!

She is very friendly. She'll talk with people we meet in our daily journeys every day. This is wild to me since neither my husband or I are like that and her older sister isn't either.

She's a copycat. She repeats everything her 5 y.o. sister says. She's not trying to be annoying. She's just trying to make conversation again, and she knows what her big sister says is usually pretty intelligent Today we were at a neighbor's house learning how to take care of her cats (we're catsitting this weekend), and my older daughter said "ewww gross" about the litter clumps and my younger one repeated her. It was so cute to hear that coming out of her 3 y.o. mouth.

She's nowhere near potty trained, but I think I'm going to start a separate thread about that.

She still nurses to go to sleep and wake up, but if something pre-empts "mmmms," she's okay with it. This is a huge deal! It has only been a few months since my dh has been able to put her to bed instead of me. It's great being able to go out with friends in the evening occasionally.
#51 of 51 Old 06-13-2002, 05:50 PM

Sometimes I am surprised to think that my ds, Kelson, is to be three this 23rd of August. He is a lot of fun and in some ways I miss the baby and toddler part of him. But, I have him with his knew abilities and skills. He is very smart and loves to do lots of fun things. We are each others playpals everyday. I am still not sure what to get for his birthday, he has so much! I have a few ideas but plan to wait and see what catches his attention during the next couple months. I think that the more he grows and changes the better we understand each other and the easier our relationship becomes. We tend to have more fun instead of frustration, as opposed to when communication was limited. Glad to find a place for us, the toddler forum was outdated for Kelson's abilities and I thought this was for older children.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page