Roll call!!! Calling all mom's of 3 year olds!! 1999 babies! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 04-23-2002, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Saige was born Jan.20,1999.I was wondering how many 3 year olds we have out there,and how everyone's liking this age.
#2 of 51 Old 04-23-2002, 10:42 AM

We have a few weeks before ds joins the 3yo club. I absolutely love this age. He's so funny! He sings and jokes and comes up with the most amazing things to say. He's compassionate and friendly. Yes, there are times when he whines or complains or gets demanding, but they're usually pretty understandable and we get through them. We try to enjoy every minute of his cooperation, knowing it could change any day! Mostly we're just grooving on having him in our lives. My dh had a tough childhood -- tons of energy and nobody who understood that he couldn't turn it off. So we were ready for a child like that. This is such a joyous surprise!
#3 of 51 Old 04-23-2002, 10:48 AM

My ds is not 3 until sept. I am in denial and giong to stay in the toddler forum for 4 or 5 more years

We are having fun too:cool: But the past few weeks he has started having temper tantrums. I feel like he is on the edge of not taking naps but still tired of he doesn't sleep. Do your 3's still take naps?
#4 of 51 Old 04-23-2002, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

NAPS???? *snort* yeah,right!! Not since she turned 2!!!
#5 of 51 Old 04-23-2002, 11:32 AM

Matthew will be 3 Septemer 29th....no naps....no diapers either!! Yahoo!! That's been the biggest milestone achieved....that and talking up a storm!!
#6 of 51 Old 04-23-2002, 11:59 AM

Duncan turned 3 in Feb. My children never have the "terrible 2's" ....nope.....they have the "tyrannical 3's" as I call them!

1999 was also the year I turned 40

Duncan is giving up naps, slowly. I will miss my "downtime" when he no longer naps at all. He is a very active little boy.
#7 of 51 Old 04-23-2002, 01:58 PM
m&m

Janelle will be 3 this Saturday!

no naps since 15 months - argh! and she must be up for 13 hours before she'll go to sleep.

not fully potty trained yet - working slowly on it.

talks role plays and makes crafts extremely well - starting to help cook and clean - although makes more messes than she helps clean

I guess I like this age - or should I say - I like my dd - no matter what age.
#8 of 51 Old 04-23-2002, 02:18 PM

Oh yes the tyrannical 3's. Els' 3 Ones, I've observed the same thing. Been there, embarking on that road again in about three weeks, when my youngest son celebrates his birthday. Oh, and I turned 41 in 1999.

He naps, but sometimes not 'til 5 pm or later. He wakes up two hours later ready to roll and if we try to wake him up earlier, we can't rouse him. He's independent and strong-willed like his older brother and likes to push mom and dad to their limits, but metamorphoses into a total sweetheart at other times.

Even though it's a challenging age, it's a very fun time as well. His imagination runs wild and he is forever making up wonderfully fun games and scenarios. I'm gonna enjoy it while I can, because he's growing up all too fast.
#9 of 51 Old 04-23-2002, 08:21 PM

DD will be turning 3 in a couple weeks, and although she can be very adorable and sweet at times, I am definately looking at a case of the "tyranical three's". She has been potty trained since 18 mos (that's not as great as it sounds, though) and has completely given up naps now. She still gets up at night occasionally, and I am just thankful that it is occasional and that she's pretty good about going back to sleep. Her new thing is being a "baby". You know, "I can't walk- I'm a baby" or ""Help me eat- I'm a baby" and of course "Wipe my butt- I'm a baby". I'm sure that some of her new found independance is frightening to her and causing this desire to "be a baby again", but at the end of the day- man is it tiring LOL
#10 of 51 Old 04-23-2002, 10:50 PM

So does three officially leave toddlerhood behind and start the childhood years?

My ds is growing up sooo quickly. I have a love-hate relationship with this age. The tantrums I could do without but he's sooo lovable And so stubborn and opinionated and huggable and cuddly now. He was NEVER a cuddily baby but now he loves to curl up with you and "nest" on the sofa or anywhere.

Naps at home are a thing of the past but he still takes them at daycare. We've successfully potty-trained YIPEEEEE during the day and he usually stays dry at night. He has a HUGE vocab. and speaks wonderfully, even if I do say so myself. His hearing is being checked soon as we have some worry about that. He's just blossomed so much and a lot of the time I am exasperated but love him dearly

Oh, yeah, let's pretend is a high priority right now. The latest was Matthew Mommy bird and his two baby birds. He fed us "worms." Gotta love him!!
#11 of 51 Old 04-24-2002, 12:43 AM

Rebecca is 3, but she was born in 1998, barely (Dec. 25th)!

No naps except rarely, out of diapers since early October, never stops talking (she was using sentences at 18 months, God help us! ), and is starting to exhibit that dreaded 3 1/2-year-old behavior I've been warned about. Right now our biggest issue is backtalk when she doesn't get the answer she wants. Yet at the same time, she has become extremely demonstrative of her love for us, always telling me and dh how much she loves us, hugging and kissing us, and telling me I'm so beautiful!
#12 of 51 Old 04-24-2002, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Saige is really in to pretending and dress-up and stuff like that right now.I feel like she is at a new stage where she's mostly outgrown all her old toys,but I'm not sure what to get her to replace them.She loves crafts and doing physical things (dancing,ect).I wish she had more girls to play with-she's so girly! She loves to cuddle and be a little mommy and her boy-friends (which is mostly what she has ) just arent interested,or they hurt her feelings by rejecting her.
#13 of 51 Old 04-24-2002, 11:42 AM

Leah will be 3 in 1 month! Tyrannical 3's is right! Actually, I have really enjoyed the 3's! She is capable of doing so much for herself but still needs me! the Best of both worlds!

She also is really trying to figure out where the boundaries are, questions everything. We can really have good conversations now! Enjoy this time! It is over too soon. BTW, Leah's bday is May 1998. I will turn 38 one week after she turns 4.

Deni
#14 of 51 Old 04-24-2002, 12:08 PM

My little guy, Jaden will be 3 next monday,
and you know I really enjoy this age, two was very hard for us, we just didn't understand each other, but now he's my little buddy. I'm feel like I'm gettting a break right now since two's were hell. He is very excited about EVERYTHING and wants to help in the garden and the kitchen. I want to get him a little wheel barrel for his birthday but haven't be able to find one that isn't complete junk. He's a compost hauling fool!

khrisday
Jaden id doing the same baby thing, he always talks baby talk, he'll point to something and go "AAAAgoogoogaga"
#15 of 51 Old 04-24-2002, 01:49 PM

DD will be 3 on May 29. I feel like I'm really getting to know this very complex person, this little girl with big opinions, this little stinker who figured me out a whole lot sooner than I did her! The Twos were very Trying. I see the Threes being Terrific and Terrifying and a little Tyrannical. She never ceases to amaze me with her commanding me to save the earthworms in the street after a rainstorm, her artisitic masterpieces (she's big on faces), and her concern and love for her friends and family.
Hey Saige, most of dd's friends are boys, too! She's invariably more rough and tumble than they are, but when she gets together with her one girl-friend they are the roughest and tumblest little girls I've ever seen. DD is still very much a girly-girl, right down to the pink flowered shirts (she chose herself) that she lifts up to nurse her baby dolls.
#16 of 51 Old 04-24-2002, 02:18 PM

Michael was 3 in November. So we are in the 3 1/2 camp really. What a whirlwind! He still very much needs his naps--and so do I! I hope he doesn't give them up. But on the other hand, it would be nice to not have afternoons disrupted for him. We stay longer to do the things he loves.
He is really into dramatic play. He assigns personalities and jobs for every object he picks up. He is also a "airplane man," a "hospital man," a "garbage truck man" and anything else you can imagine. For some reason (is this a boy thing??) he wants nothing to do with dress up.
I love that he is figuring out everyone's roles. He loves to watch people going about their day doing their jobs. And he says Pa Bill is your daddy! He says the most insightful things it blows me away sometimes. And he has kept his fabulous belly laugh.
Of course he is frustrated very easily. I am still working on the patience that was supposed to magically appear when I gave birth, so I am not the mother I want to be.
I keep trying to remind myself though that he is at the age where he has a brain full of connections, has not really started pruning them yet, and is on full overload.
We survived potty training, he weaned in August and is learning to sound out some letters. We still get comments from everyone about how serious he is. And sometimes I worry about his lack of friendships. He has some, but we are moving next week so will be starting over. '
I love reading about all your children and learning from you all. Thanks!
#17 of 51 Old 04-24-2002, 07:27 PM

Fullcirclesb - i am the mother of soon to be 3 year old twins and am enjoying every minute, though some times are very trying. I found some great small wheel barrels at Harbor Freight, here in Southern California. I believe they have a website. You can check it out. My boys still nap close to two hours every day which is so valuable to me. But I hear them stirring to gotta run.......
#18 of 51 Old 04-24-2002, 07:47 PM

Rylee turned three this past Saturday. She is potty trained now, but I must take no credit. She woke up about 4 months ago and said, "mom, i want to wear Blue's Clues underwear." We bought some and that was it. I didn't try ANYTHING before that. She never had an accident. About a month ago we got rid of nighttime diaper too. I like this age; the goods are fantastic, but the bads are quite bad. I can't say anything because her personality is JUST like mine and my dh. That is probably why it makes us so nuts. But the good stuff is great. She is old enough to take fishing, and she loves it. She fits on the little kids rides at Worlds of Fun (Kansas version of Six Flags, but no nearly as cool).
We are planning on a full summer of camping, and she can't wait. I think the neatest thing is seeing her as a person, instead of a baby. I didn't see this until I we got a 22 month old little boy who has been placed with us for awhile, and when he falls, she kisses his ouchies, and if he needs a drink, she climbs up on her stool and get a dixie cup full of water, and so on. SHe went from being the helpee, to the helper, in just a few months.
#19 of 51 Old 04-24-2002, 09:04 PM

Welcome to mothering twinmama!!
Thanks for the wheel barrow tip, I'll check it out.
Two hours every day!!!OMG! I wish, we have a hour of imposed quiet time just so that I can keep sane.Twins are lots of fun though, I have worked for several families that have had twins, double the trouble, but definately at least triple the fun.
Sarah
#20 of 51 Old 04-26-2002, 03:44 PM

I so agree that the three year old in my house hold is so much more challenging that every before this age! Along with my one year old Theodore can drive me nuts. You what he did the other day? Here is the story:

We were at the Library in town and I told him that he needed to finish up on the computer so we could go get our pictures from CVS. So, he closes the game and I'm getting Issac into the back pack and then when I'm done I look around to find that Theodore is missing Yea, missing!!! He wasn't in the building, courtyard, parking lot, sidewalk in front of the library, nothing! After 10 minutes of looking all over (many nice parents helping) the police are called. A few minutes later a police car pulls up in front of the library where I'm standing and who is in the back seat? Theodore! He had taken it upon himself to walk to CVS, all by himself! OMG!

What to talk about throwing me for a loop. Any one else's kid do this before? Please, say yes. I feel that I have an alien on my hands. And to boot it didn't phase him in the lease. Oh, yea I failed to mention that a town worker snatched him from the middle of main street! He was in the process of crossing the street when someone spotted him. We could not see him from the library because where he was the the library are about a quarter of a mile away!

Does it get better? I hope so.

Other wise, the Three year old is great. Great talker, helper (when he wants) and his imagination is through the roof. I love to watch him work.

Well, if you have words of wisdom regarding Mr. Independence let me know.

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

#21 of 51 Old 04-27-2002, 03:49 PM

I love this age, although I could cry over the fact that he really is no longer a baby. Wait-- he'll ALWAYS be MY baby! Okay, I feel better now.

He talks so well, we can actually have "conversations!" That is the best part, I think.

Every age is wonderful. I'm glad there are so many other mamas of three year olds here!

Love you all!

Jenny
#22 of 51 Old 04-27-2002, 04:43 PM

My oldest son Jake will be three June 2 and WOW how time flies. I would have to say this age is trying for me. With a 5 month old also I feel guilty alot of the time because I just don't have the ability to spend as much time with Jake as I used to. DH is great at picking up the slack though.
Jake still naps and has been day trained since just over 2. He cracks me up and has become quite independant.
He loves any kind of constuction equipment and spends hours in his sandbox. He certainly pushes the boundries but overall is a sweet, sociable (chatty) guy. I can't believe his memory. Sometimes it amazes me.

It's good to see all the three year olds around here and how similar they seem. Once again Saige a great thread!!
#23 of 51 Old 04-28-2002, 04:18 AM

My DS #2 will be three in June. I think that all ages until 5 are really fun.Soon after DS #1 turned 5 I was totally shocked, he started exhibiting some of the bratiest tendencies. He was super sweet at 2, 3, and 4 .
DS #2 has not taken naps in a looong time. He has a speech problem but after therapy last summer it has been getting so much better. He really says some of te cutest things. We are (right now ) in the process of toilet teaching and he is doing great! I was a little nervous because he will be starting school in september and until last week he was completely not interested in the toilet or potty. It has been 3 days of running around with no pants..... fun!

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#24 of 51 Old 04-28-2002, 04:55 AM
Len

OMG shanete!!!!! that would be so scary!!!
DH and I both agree this is such a wonderful age... we've left behind a lot of terrible 2's, horrible 1's (well I shouldn't complain, it wasn't soo bad) and maybe this is where we start thinking… yeah, let's make another one.
Diego is day toilet trained, BF's, loooves his friends (girls and boys), enjoys music as much as I do, so we dance and sing together all the time. The other day we were listening to Raffi's I wonder if I'm growing and I started to CRY he came to me with a big reassuring hug...
His passion for trains has gone off limits now, we all know more about trains than we ever thought we needed to know.
One thing I envy all of you is that ds is not fully talking yet. We're always around kids his age and younger and everybody is speaking!!!
#25 of 51 Old 04-28-2002, 11:00 AM

my little one is into pretending(LOTS),not potty -ready yet-
has a great vocabulary
still naps if she gets up early
is opinionated/tells us what to do-(you are a doggie)
is soooo cute
loves to "nanny"
it is interesting to see what their likes/interests are

::
momma to 4
#26 of 51 Old 04-30-2002, 05:57 PM

Kaya was born April 14th, 1999.

I think this year is going to be tough. Kaya is becoming her own independent self. She often doesnt follow directions but I can't talk cause I am 22 and I dont like following directions! She is funny as hell though. She loves to sing and dance and smile. I have mixed feelings. I think I liked two's better! I am sad to see her becoming a big girl.
#27 of 51 Old 05-01-2002, 08:19 AM

It's great to see so many three-year-old mamas out there and hear your descriptions of your kids. I see so much I relate to--especially that mix of joy and sadness as my ds, who will be three in July, begins to shed his baby-ness. It has been great to watch him growing up, becoming more independent, but sometimes I miss the baby in him... And then he will curl up on my lap and I realize it's always going to be there.

No real interest in potty training yet, truck and fire truck and train obsession off the charts, loves to dance and sing and "have a band." No tyranny yet, if anything ds is sometimes too passive, at least with other kids. With us he is usually cooperative and funny--last night we were still eating and told him we would come play when we were done and he started singing a little song as he built with his blocks, "I want someone to play with me, I want someone to play with me." I'm loving this age!
#28 of 51 Old 05-05-2002, 01:28 AM

Mamasi, your son sounds a lot like mine.

Although yesterday he was singing, "A truck ran over me once."

Over & over while playing on the swingset!

Silly age!

Love, Jenny
#29 of 51 Old 05-06-2002, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This is a wonderful age! I'm having so much fun! His wonderfulness more than makes up for his terribleness. He's really stubborn.

What an imagination! It seems to be a hallmark of this age...

He's no where near being potty trained, though he's used the toilette several times since he was less than 2 y.o. He's just not interested in it yet.

Everything has to be his idea, though.

"Let's put pants on you. It's kind of cold outside"

Getting angry, "Nooo, I want shorts. Shorts, Mommy."

"Hmmm. Okay, you wear shorts."

Very quickly, "No! I wear pants!"

He still naps, and if he's not down for a nap by 1:00 we get in the car (or the stroller) and drive around until he falls asleep. Otherwise he'll be insane for the rest of the day. But, if we get messed up and he hasn't napped by 2:00 then I have to fight to keep him awake until at least 7:30. Any nap after 2:00 and he won't be asleep until mid-night.

Experience with 7 y.o. DD showed me that they're still difficult grouches in the afternoon even after they "give up" their official naps. If we drive anywhere for more than 20 minutes after school DD will inevitably fall asleep.

He's been chattering for a long time, but I still can't understand what he's saying half the time. I'm not worried about it yet.

Oh! I love his mistakes, too! You know the Star Wars character in Phantom Menace, Quai Gon Jin (Liam Neeson). DS calls him Quai Gon Jim. I keep picturing Jim from "Taxi".

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#30 of 51 Old 05-08-2002, 10:32 PM

I am so glad to hear that some other 3 year olds are not so easy to understand. My best friend has one of those genius kids who is amazingly advanced at everything. It has always been too easy to compare ds to her son. Michael talks incessantly but he doesn't finish his words very well and so it is hard to understand what he is saying.
We are moved and settled in (mostly) and Michael seems to be okay for the most part. He still wears a dipe at night, tho he stays dry most of the time. He was in underwear at night until the move got underway
He is very, very shy. I was wondering if any of you have shy children and what you have done to help them feel more comfortable in new situations. Having moved we are definately in some new situations. And we have a Mops meeting tomorrow and a possible play date next week. Your help would be much appreciated! TIA

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page