Highly imaginative children - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 01-31-2004, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anybody else have a highly imaginative child??
My five year old dd is in a constant dreamy, pretend world. She is rarely "Harmony", but an assortment of dogs, cats, and other creatures. She remains in her pretend world at school, and other places, as well as at home. I love how imaginative she is, and want ideas and resources on how to provide her with even more imagination stimulating opportunites. And I also want opinions on teaching her to "harness" her imagination at times. It seems that now she is in kindergarden, she stands out from the other kids. She often pretends to be a cat at school, and crawls around the room, meows her answers, hisses if anybody bothers her: The other kids are beginning to think she is weird, and honestly, I think their parents are thinking the same (or rather than weird, that is is "something wrong" with her)!! Her teachers are wonderfully accomodating, but I worry that she will not be treated as wonderfully in the future. I am somewhat conflicted about this- a part of me feels that imagination should be free to soar and never be tethered, and a part of me wishes that she could just be a little girl (rather than some animal) every once in a while!
What are your thoughts and ideas?
Anybody else have a child that lives in a world of imagination!!!

Christy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-31-2004, 10:49 PM

Well my ds is almost exactly like her, although his fantasy of choice is being one sort of "hero" or another. Be it fireman, policeman, army guy, or ninja turtle ( and honestly he has never SEEN these so who knows:LOL ). However he does not do this at school unless it is play time or recess. He is also in kindergarden. In fact his teacher told me that she loves his imagination and creativy and he is the go to guy in class if the kids need a game to play.

That said, I agree with you that imagination is wonderful but when out in the real world especially once she is in upper grades, although she may outgrow some of these things, she is going to know when not to do stuff. Have you thought about getting her into some childrens theatre groups, we have several wonderful programs at different theaters where we live. Also I think that alot of dance studios now also have "acting" classes, the kids basically learn movement. Dance class might also be good, now is the time that most schools are gearing up for recital time and she may just love to be in a show. Take her to childrens theater as well, and maybe meet the ppl afterwards so she can see them IRL, kwim? Then you can discuss that the teacher wants to see Harmony at school and not a pretend being, and that she can pretend at recess.

I totally understand how frustrating it can be, my ds is always concocting something or other and I often wonder if other parents are going to think there is something wrong with him. I am just grateful that his teacher sees the beauty in his imagination! Good luck and I would be happy to PM with you!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#3 of 3 Old 01-31-2004, 11:26 PM

Encouraging Creativity through Questioning

Editing to say that after rereading your post, I realize that you are not looking for ways to encourage that creativity. By harness it, do you mean stop it. I know that you want her to be able to realize that some times it's more appropriate for her to be a dog, cat, whatever and some times it might be better for her to be Harmony. My personal opinion is that she will have enough social training through many different influences and that I would not try anything to stop her expressing herself in that way. It's beautiful.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page